C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Weistec Stage 3 Passes Inspection & Emmision test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 SLS AMG, 2009 SL63 AMG, 2008 C63 AMG(SOLD)
Weistec Stage 3 Passes Inspection & Emmision test

Any of you who already have the stage 3 Weistec system or are thinking of upgrading and are worried about emmisions and inspection or worrying about not passing. DONT BE

Here in Qatar we have strict emmision rules. I even heard that we have more strict rules than California

We just took the SL63 running with Full MBH headers and Catless system + Weistec's 3.0L SC. It Passed Easily without any problems. check it out, (I whiped out some of our personal info on the inspection sheet):

Out of the maximum allowable percentage of CO of 4.5% The SL tested only 0.7% and HC (hydrocarbon) only came out to be 194ppm out of a maximum allowable of 1200ppm

PASSED EASILY

Last edited by Rock; 04-22-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
They don't use OBDII for emissions in Qatar?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sincity
They don't use OBDII for emissions in Qatar?
Nope, they stick a sensor in the tailpipe. But if they were to stick an OBD2, we would need to have catalytic converters and turn on the post sensors and should also pass easily.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nevada relies on OBDII for emissions testing. Congrats on a "clean" running beast.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
CA relies on both a sniffer in the tailpipe as well as OBDII. This car would never pass the sniffer test in CA without cats not to mention it would also fail the visual inspection and noise requirement. Implying that someone might be able to pass emissions in CA with the same setup is simply irresponsible.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by PaulWdz
CA relies on both a sniffer in the tailpipe as well as OBDII. This car would never pass the sniffer test in CA without cats not to mention it would also fail the visual inspection and noise requirement. Implying that someone might be able to pass emissions in CA with the same setup is simply irresponsible.
& where did he read Qatar has stricter Emission laws than CA You can't even pass CA smog w/200 cell cats (In my exp you need @ least 300 cell) let alone Catless Longtubes.. As you said Sound/Visual/Sniffer etc complete fail in CA
Old 04-22-2013, 11:55 PM

The test was done with a sniffer in the tailpipe. It Passed. look at the CO values. Maximum allowed is 4.5%, The SL63 tested at 0.7%
Old 04-22-2013, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Thericker
& where did he read Qatar has stricter Emission laws than CA You can't even pass CA smog w/200 cell cats (In my exp you need @ least 300 cell) let alone Catless Longtubes.. As you said Sound/Visual/Sniffer etc complete fail in CA
Again, let me be clear. I have not tested any car in Cali for emmisions. Although I did say above if the cats are required. You would need to place them after the longtubes with all post cast sensors operating. This way the car will both pass OBD2 test and sniffer test.

You need to remember, the SLS comes with short headers from factory and it is permissible in cali.

Paulwdz, you are running Longtubes now with your CLK, how are you going to pass emmisions?

There are many in Cali with AMG's running with longtubes + cats and they managed to pass emmisions without any problems
Old 04-23-2013, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
I almost pass out when my car, without cats, idles too long at a stop light.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:29 AM

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by SLS Qatar
The test was done with a sniffer in the tailpipe. It Passed. look at the CO values. Maximum allowed is 4.5%, The SL63 tested at 0.7%
I realize it passed, you said that already so perhaps congratulations are in order ? My concern is you telling someone who might be on the fence about running the same setup that it will pass CA emissions; because it WILL NOT. You did not say it will pass CA emissions, but you said you thought where you live has more stringent emissions laws. That is untrue.
Just want to make sure anyone who wants an M156 with a stage III blower, long tube headers and no cats is not stupid enough to believe what they read on the internet.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:57 AM

CLK63 Black Series
Again, let me be clear. I have not tested any car in Cali for emmisions. Although I did say above if the cats are required. You would need to place them after the longtubes with all post cast sensors operating. This way the car will both pass OBD2 test and sniffer test.
It's clear that you have not tested any car in CA, otherwise you would know that even if you place them after long tubes as close to the collector as possible it will STILL fail the visual and the sound test. And it would only pass the sniffer if the cats were 600 CEL or greater. Referencing OBDII requirements for pre and post cat sensors is a moot point because anyone who does this has to have the O2 sensors/bungs welded in and operating correctly to pick up a multitude of other emission control functions.

You need to remember, the SLS comes with short headers from factory and it is permissible in cali.
I'm not sure why you are referencing an SLS when the discussion is about an SL63....but since you did, you should also remember (and I use remember loosely) that every car that is sold in the state of CA is actually MADE for CA. Many cars sold in other states do not meet CA emission regulations. The SLS is a good example. The ones that are made for the state of CA have 800 CEL count cats. If you buy a new SLS in AZ, it has a 600 CEL cat. And if you try to register the AZ SLS in CA, you have to have it smogged and pay a CARB fee for bringing an out of state vehicle into CA.
Further reading if you so choose:

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

Paulwdz, you are running Longtubes now with your CLK, how are you going to pass emmisions?
I actually just sold my CLK BS and have a Ferrari F12 and an E63 S which should be both be arriving shortly. And if I had to pass emissions I would just take it to my Russian buddy at the gas station and leave a C note under the wiper. What, you can't do that where you live ? Gotta love the good 'ol USA.

There are many in Cali with AMG's running with longtubes + cats and they managed to pass emmisions without any problems
So? What is your point ? Long tubes with 400 CEL cats will still pass the sniffer, but the sniffer is only the first hurdle to get SMOG certification.
Perhaps you should just focus on passing your local emissions and not CA.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 AM

2009 Barolo red C63 AMG (SOLD).13' P31 c63 coupe 2012 porsche panamera
Originally Posted by Merc63
Lmao i hear ya!

Sls, mashallah is all i have to say. Yikfeek shara o ya36eek 5aira.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:30 AM

2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 DUCATI 1198S
Originally Posted by Merc63
lol, Another reason I won't get that setup again. I don't mind trading a little less HP for livable decible levels and not smelling like I went swimming in gasoline.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 AM

It's clear that you have not tested any car in CA, otherwise you would know that even if you place them after long tubes as close to the collector as possible it will STILL fail the visual and the sound test. And it would only pass the sniffer if the cats were 600 CEL or greater. Referencing OBDII requirements for pre and post cat sensors is a moot point because anyone who does this has to have the O2 sensors/bungs welded in and operating correctly to pick up a multitude of other emission control functions.

I'm not sure why you are referencing an SLS when the discussion is about an SL63....but since you did, you should also remember (and I use remember loosely) that every car that is sold in the state of CA is actually MADE for CA. Many cars sold in other states do not meet CA emission regulations. The SLS is a good example. The ones that are made for the state of CA have 800 CEL count cats. If you buy a new SLS in AZ, it has a 600 CEL cat. And if you try to register the AZ SLS in CA, you have to have it smogged and pay a CARB fee for bringing an out of state vehicle into CA.
Further reading if you so choose:

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

I actually just sold my CLK BS and have a Ferrari F12 and an E63 S which should be both be arriving shortly. And if I had to pass emissions I would just take it to my Russian buddy at the gas station and leave a C note under the wiper. What, you can't do that where you live ? Gotta love the good 'ol USA.

So? What is your point ? Long tubes with 400 CEL cats will still pass the sniffer, but the sniffer is only the first hurdle to get SMOG certification.
Perhaps you should just focus on passing your local emissions and not CA.
lol. I knew you were going to reply quickly. I saw you online on the other forum
Luke

Again, cant really say anything about Cali. But If I were there, I would ceratinly have me way in making my LT header car pass, as many people perhaps alreafy have!

The SLS does come with short tunbe headers, even in Cali

I strongly believe if the car had longtunbes and the correct Catalytic converters, it shouldnt be a problem...Do you know of anybody that had those and failed?....Exactley!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 AM

CLK63 Black Series
lol. I knew you were going to reply quickly. I saw you online on the other forum
Luke
I'm not sure why you think I am someone else and continue to insist upon it, but it's creepy you seem to be following/tracking this persons movement online ?

Again, cant really say anything about Cali. But If I were there, I would ceratinly have me way in making my LT header car pass, as many people perhaps alreafy have!
I think that is the point I've been trying to make.

The SLS does come with short tunbe headers, even in Cali
I never said it didn't

I strongly believe if the car had longtunbes and the correct Catalytic converters, it shouldnt be a problem...Do you know of anybody that had those and failed?....Exactley!
You can believe as strongly as you want but that doesn't change reality. The SL in question would not pass CA SMOG. I know this because I know the max allowable levels in CA. At 15mph your SL would have been close to passing, but at 25 mph it would have failed (the sniffer). And also failed noise and the visual inspection.
I do know people who have passed (sniffer) with long tubes, but failed the visual. Do some research, it's been discussed here before. Like I said before, with the right primary cats long tubes can pass the sniffer but they will fail everything else. I'm not sure why this has to be so contentious.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Let's just agree to say CARB sucks!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:22 PM

CLK63 Black Series
You can say that again !!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG

Take a trip to Mexico or Thailand and you will not say that. You can barely breathe in traffic.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
I have to agree with LZH. The thread is a bit deceiving if not read carefully.

Saying you have strict emission rules is pretty funny. As stated you would fail a simple visual inspection in CA.

Last edited by propain; 04-23-2013 at 07:28 PM.