C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Paddle shift issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 P31 AMG
Paddle shift issue?

I was wondering if anyone has had any issue with our paddle shifter? I can't make a proper shift from 1st to 2nd under m mode in my 2010. It will not shift and just bounces off rev limiter. One I release throttle and upshift it will get the 2nd but then run into same issue with 3rd. No issue to 4th and on. No issue on sport mode as I think it starts in 2nd anyway. ESP is on and no there is no wheel spin. It feels like signal from paddle not as quick as I'd hoped. If I don't use the paddle it works at times. Let me if any of you have experienced this and any fixes? Much appreciated.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
It's known that its not going to be as quick to respond as an SMG or a dual clutch box. You have to shift up early to not bounce off the limiter. A tune helps the responsiveness of the paddles. Whether or not the shifts are faster, I'm not sure. But the time from when I pull the paddle to when the car shifts is much shorter, especially downshifts where with a stock tune I feel like the car ignores my downshift requests half the time.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
It's known that its not going to be as quick to respond as an SMG or a dual clutch box. You have to shift up early to not bounce off the limiter. A tune helps the responsiveness of the paddles. Whether or not the shifts are faster, I'm not sure. But the time from when I pull the paddle to when the car shifts is much shorter, especially downshifts where with a stock tune I feel like the car ignores my downshift requests half the time.

which tune do you have?
Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 AM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
I am running the oetuning stage 2. The car was doing it in stock trim too so I doubt it's the tune. I have no issues on downshifts although sometimes it doesn't if I use the paddles. If I use the regular shifter it works so I am thinking paddle signal to tranny is having an issue but not sure. I agree with you the cars shifting is better in c and s although I needed to hard reboot but disconnecting the battery at the beginning so my Tcm could relearn properly.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
I have a similar "problem" with WOT shifts in M. I actually found that shifting with the gear shifter seems faster at times, which kinda sucks, since I'd prefer to have both hands on the wheel at times

I find that letting off the gas pedal just a touch (just above kickdown position) before shifting in M mode helps with shifts. I took my car out for a good hour drive yesterday and must have bounced off the rev limiter 4-5 times, but I'm outta sync with the car at the moment, she just came out of hibernation mode and so did I
Old 04-29-2013, 12:37 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by black-clk500
I have a similar "problem" with WOT shifts in M. I actually found that shifting with the gear shifter seems faster at times, which kinda sucks, since I'd prefer to have both hands on the wheel at times

I find that letting off the gas pedal just a touch (just above kickdown position) before shifting in M mode helps with shifts. I took my car out for a good hour drive yesterday and must have bounced off the rev limiter 4-5 times, but I'm outta sync with the car at the moment, she just came out of hibernation mode and so did I
Yea my shift issues usually come in from 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to 3rd almost 99% of the time if I use the paddles for some reason....think its too slow to send a signal across...at least I know my warning light shift up works.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:27 PM

2011 C63 Calcite White
TBH our car's manual shifting response is pretty hopeless; when I first upgraded to my c63 from 335i I was totally shocked how bad the shifting response was compare to BMW. Took a while to adapt to this turtle response. My 335i didn't have dual clutch and a lot slower of course, but the handling and shifting is like night & day compare to the C63.

However, the sound and speed of our cars makes up for all those cons
Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C220 CDI 2016
Originally Posted by c63addix
TBH our car's manual shifting response is pretty hopeless; when I first upgraded to my c63 from 335i I was totally shocked how bad the shifting response was compare to BMW. Took a while to adapt to this turtle response. My 335i didn't have dual clutch and a lot slower of course, but the handling and shifting is like night & day compare to the C63.

However, the sound and speed of our cars makes up for all those cons
Couldnt agree more. I had the M3 with the DTC gearbox and couldnt belive the bad response of this gearbox.
But beside this I love everything else with the C63 :-)
Old 04-29-2013, 05:32 PM
b16

2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
Originally Posted by SROC276
Yea my shift issues usually come in from 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to 3rd almost 99% of the time if I use the paddles for some reason....think its too slow to send a signal across...at least I know my warning light shift up works.
If you shift when you first see your cluster go red, that is usually soon enough to shift before hitting the limiter.

Of course 1st-2nd happens so fast that sometimes you'll hit the limiter anyways, especially if you have wheelspin.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
I have the eurocharged v4 tune.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 AM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by b16
If you shift when you first see your cluster go red, that is usually soon enough to shift before hitting the limiter.

Of course 1st-2nd happens so fast that sometimes you'll hit the limiter anyways, especially if you have wheelspin.
I tried that but nothing happens when I press the paddle....just goes straight to redline and bounces..weired is that happens about 99% of the time from 1st to 2nd in m mode only....

Anyone drag the c63? Do you guys just race in s mode or start in 2nd m mode?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 PM

2013 C63 AMG Coupe
I have about 2,500 miles on my '13 C63 AMG coupe, and I am very disappointed with the paddle shifting in manual mode. Twice in the last week, I have gone past redline in heavy onramp acceleration because of a delayed response when using the paddle. The warning light seems to come on early, but perhaps it does that to take into account the delayed response. I have also had problems using the left paddle to downshift to the optimal gear; if I am applying my hand too high on the paddle, it does not work. I have not tried using the shift lever instead. It would disappoint me if that is the only solution, but that would be better than no solution at all.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
Killa engines transmissions are junk mercs huh
Old 08-28-2013, 11:00 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by b16

This ended being the ultimate solution for my original concerns....1-2nd gear...shift about 6.8k rpm and it should stick to 2nd without bouncing off the limiter.....gear shifter better but I hate the sideways upshift...would rather pull down vs slap the stick to the right....for me best launches were in sport...upshift to 2nd when car is still....floor it and your good thru the gears in sport....tranny still goes through first even if indicator says 2nd gear. No issues so far anymore for me.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C63 Coupe
The transmission is the only negative for me with the C63. My M3 with DCT was flawless in its' shifts--up, down, rev matching, it did it all. Having said that, I am looking forward to having some fun in the C63.........
Old 08-29-2013, 04:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
On the track, I never use manual mode. Always sport +, and down shift only with paddle shifter.
Car up shifts only then going through gears, never hitting rev limiter.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:34 AM

C6 Z06, 997 C2S
Originally Posted by pgquick
I have about 2,500 miles on my '13 C63 AMG coupe, and I am very disappointed with the paddle shifting in manual mode. Twice in the last week, I have gone past redline in heavy onramp acceleration because of a delayed response when using the paddle. The warning light seems to come on early, but perhaps it does that to take into account the delayed response. I have also had problems using the left paddle to downshift to the optimal gear; if I am applying my hand too high on the paddle, it does not work. I have not tried using the shift lever instead. It would disappoint me if that is the only solution, but that would be better than no solution at all.
It's disappointing to hear that the new MCT is still having this problem.

Originally Posted by Karl901
On the track, I never use manual mode. Always sport +, and down shift only with paddle shifter.
Car up shifts only then going through gears, never hitting rev limiter.
This is what I ended up doing with the C63 I drove for about a day, I think I can live with it. Ah can't decide if I should pull the trigger a C63 coupe this winter or wait for the DCT C63...