Any car detailing buffs in here?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:41 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
Any car detailing buffs in here?

Anyone into car detailing here?

I've been a Zaino guy for years... and just discovered optimum products. The result is (in my opinion) as good as Zaino in about a third of the time. I was able to wash, dry and wax two cars in about 30 minutes.

Here is a lousy iPhone picture of my c63 and my wife's glk. It's hard to tell but the shine is great. Almost on par with a Zaino Z5 detailing which would take me at least an hour from wash to wax.

I used:

- Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax
- While drying I sprayed with Optimum Car Wax
- Sonax Wheel Cleaner
- Optimum Opti-bond on the tires
Attached Thumbnails Any car detailing buffs in here?-photo.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Nice job!

Looks good....looks real good. Just look at it....just look at it....would you look at it?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
Would you loook at that!!!
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Nice job!

Looks good....looks real good. Just look at it....just look at it....would you look at it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF8GhC-T_Mo
Old 05-21-2013, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
I'm a huge detailing FREAK and have been for a long, long time.
That said, it takes me over 30 mins just to setup (not even joking)!

Zaino is good sheeet, but I only use their Z6 spray (& Z8 Grand Finale too). Plus, I use their Z-CS with Q-tips to get in the panel gaps, under the lights, around the rear window, etc. It's my own trick--it cleans up those ugly areas that are hard to reach and can't be sealed properly with a wax or sealant. My car is black so every little crevice needs to be clean and perfect to have a proper look!

I usually spend 3-4hrs for a "simple" wash and dry and quick detail w/ touch up on polish/sealant (certain areas like the front end, mirrors, etc). Doing a whole car polish and "wax" adds another 4-5 hrs and lets not forget our PITA exhaust tips--that usually takes me another 30-45mins.

Now granted, when my car is done, you could eat off it (if you like the taste of Z6 spray, of course).

Good for you for cleaning your cars in 30mins, it's a lot better than all the car wash guys on here I save the touchless carwash for my wife's BMW! (BMW's are just cars)

Last edited by black-clk500; 05-21-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by black-clk500
I'm a huge detailing FREAK and have been for a long, long time.
That said, it takes me over 30 mins just to setup (not even joking)!

Zaino is good sheeet, but I only use their Z6 spray (& Z8 Grand Finale too). Plus, I use their Z-CS with Q-tips to get in the panel gaps, under the lights, around the rear window, etc. It's my own trick--it cleans up those ugly areas that are hard to reach and can't be sealed properly with a wax or sealant. My car is black so every little crevice needs to be clean and perfect to have a proper look!

I usually spend 3-4hrs for a "simple" wash and dry and quick detail w/ touch up on polish/sealant (certain areas like the front end, mirrors, etc). Doing a whole car polish and "wax" adds another 4-5 hrs and lets not forget our PITA exhaust tips--that usually takes me another 30-45mins.

Now granted, when my car is done, you could eat off it (if you like the taste of Z6 spray, of course).

Good for you for cleaning your cars in 30mins, it's a lot better than all the car wash guys on here I save the touchless carwash for my wife's BMW! (BMW's are just cars)
That's what I was thinking. When he said 30 mins for two cars I was like I wish I could do that.

I'm not as crazy as you blackclk, but a normal exterior wash takes me about an hour to an hour fifteen these days. The opticoat really helped speed that process up. Used to spend a good two hours everytime on it.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
i had the opticoat applied on my car, so i no longer wax my car. That's a huge time saver for me haha.

I use chemical guys car soap on my car, it foams very well and smells nice.

I use to be a zaino nut too! I still use their Z6 QD and the Z10 Leather conditioner. I liked the Z16 tire shine as well, but right now I'm giving the Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire gel a try.

I find the Sonax stuff unnecessary for our wheels, provided that you already wash them on a regular basis. It's pricey stuff and to me it's only worth it if you have years of baked on crap you need to take off.

For the exhaust tips i've been using NEVRDULL wadding with great results. I give them a wipe when i'm washing my car but after a while there's still build up and the wadding takes them off quite easily.

Washing my car takes me about an hour now.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:32 PM

2009 C63
I use the Optimum Wash + Wax solution. It's fantastic; it works great on the windows as well and with two large waffle weave towels I can knock out washing the car super fast.

Still slightly strugglign on what kind of wheel cleaner to consistently use; I currently use Sonax but at $16 it's a bit expensive and only good for a couple of washes.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:35 PM

C63

Zaino is good sheeet, but I only use their Z6 spray (& Z8 Grand Finale too).
I've been topping my Optimum Car Wax with Z8. It looks amazing! I've been hearing that Aquawax is a cheaper alternative to Z8. Might give that a go...
Old 05-21-2013, 01:37 PM

C63
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
That's what I was thinking. When he said 30 mins for two cars I was like I wish I could do that.
It might not be spot on 30 minutes, but it is pretty close. The Optimum Wash n' Wax pretty much gets rid of the drying stage as you can dry/wax/instant detail at the same time.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I also have my car treated with Opticoat. I just go to a $5 self wash stall, put on the soap spray and rinse. I could be done in about 5 minutes, but I do 10 if I really need a good clean. I also just use the brush for any gunk on the front bumper and the tires.

Microfiber towels to dry, Invisible Glass if the windows need some love and Meguiars quick detailer if there's any additional residue on the car after the wash. Taking my time, I'm done in about an hour.

Living in a condo has its challenges and I wish I were allowed to use the hose at the loading dock to do it myself by hand, but technically, I'm not supposed to.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 PM

Diamond White C63 coupe + PP
I am also a Zaino fan for over 10 years. I spend about 3-4 hours each sat morning to wash my cars. If I polish them it means all day job. I think Zaino was one of the first few synthetic polishes but now I think they are all pretty good. It is just what you are use too.
Perry
Old 05-21-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
mine takes around 2 hours for wash, dry and detail spray coat. Additional 1 hour for cleaning leather seats with leather conditioner, interior with interior cleaner and vacuuming entire interior. my black audi takes much more time.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
The only two wheel cleaners I use are Sonax and p21s.
I bought the huge jug of Sonax and I refill a couple of Sonax bottles every so often.
It is pricey by the bottle, but the refill jug makes it less so.
I use a bucket full of wands and scrubbers for the wheels, so I'm sure using Sonax is overkill for me, but I LOVE overkill!! LOL

I've tried just about every hyped car care product and I have my favorites and a huge locker full of products! I have a problem!!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
What do you guys use on satin wheels?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
The only two wheel cleaners I use are Sonax and p21s.
I bought the huge jug of Sonax and I refill a couple of Sonax bottles every so often.
It is pricey by the bottle, but the refill jug makes it less so.
I use a bucket full of wands and scrubbers for the wheels, so I'm sure using Sonax is overkill for me, but I LOVE overkill!! LOL

I've tried just about every hyped car care product and I have my favorites and a huge locker full of products! I have a problem!!
I've been on the fence recently about getting a "wheel cleaner" and here's why. What benefits does a wheel cleaner afford me? I guess what I'm saying is that my wheels look brand new after a wash. What MORE will the wheel cleaner do?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
1.5 hour just to wash and dry and tire shine. lol
Old 05-21-2013, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
U guys with black cars every do a paint correction ? I want to but , it seems that wheN I get my car wash (once a wEEK) by hand it still gets RIDS Random isolated deeper scratches !
How are u guys keeping them away ? Two bucket method ? I would hate to spend all that money just to have them come back.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:12 PM

2011 C63 AMG
I use a foam gun on my obsidian black, with a sheeps wool mitt. Works really well to not get scratches. Plus seal and wax monthly.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
Im glad i came across this post. I dont have a garage and when i go to work i park in an area that leaves a layer of dust on the car each day. Looked at the Optimum products and eager to try them. I stopped using Zano due to time availability and car deteriorated.
Hoping no rinse wash and poli seal from Optimum will help speed up the process.

Those who used it, do you think i can get away with Polish and Wax in one? Or should i do separate products?
Thanks guys.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
Anyone try GTECHNIQ PRODUCTS, the stuff is not a wax, it fantastic !