C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Problem with mbhmotorspots and tune from EvoTech

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with mbhmotorspots and tune from EvoTech

Hey just wanted to put a warning out there about MBHMotorsports and EvoTech. I purchased headers and a tune from MBHMotorsports, and before I finalized the purchase I asked 10 times if with the tune and headers my car will pass my states emissions test. The answer was always yes. Fast forward a few months I needed to get my yearly emissions test and it did not pass. I contacted Mike Hooley from MBHMotorsports , and he told me my tune was done by Ken Rudy at EvoTech in Arizona and to pass aquestions on to him. Ken told me basically in order for my car to pass emissions I'll need to remove the headers and put the factory tune back in. That wasnt going to happen so I had to pay someone else another $1500 to re tune my car to pass emissions. Needless to say I am not happy with the service I received from MBHMotorsports and EvoTech especially considering the money I gave to them! I would not recommend.

Last edited by blackdeathc63; 06-12-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
And the saga continues.....

I wish someone would shut this ahole down!!

SORRY GUYS I GOT THE TWO COMPANIES CONFUSED.
IT IS MHP I KEEP HEARING BAD THINGS ABOUT.
MBH SEEMS TO HAVE A VERY SOLID REP ON HERE.
MY BAD

Good luck with you ride, all that's left to do is forget about this BS and enjoy your beast

Last edited by Worth the wait; 06-13-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Worth the wait
And the saga continues.....

I wish someone would shut this ahole down!!

Good luck with you ride, all that's left to do is forget about this BS and enjoy your beast
I agree that they should definitely shut this guy down before he rips anymore people off!

And thanks I will enjoy the beast!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
i didn't know MBH sold tunes
Old 06-12-2013, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Most cars should pass an emmisions test with headers as long as all the o2 sensor bungs and sensors where placed correctly throughout the exhaust system and the sensors are properly functioning and being read by the ECU. This sounds like a tune issue more than a header issue. I have had several cars pass the IL emmisions test with headers and a tune, even passed with cats deleted on a couple cars. I know tests vary from state to state but it would suprise me that you could not pass. Do they tell you specifially why you failed? In IL they give you a print out of the exact reason you failed so you can address it and get it fixed. was it in OBD plug in test or did they hook you up to a sniffer? This does not sound like an MBH problem in my opinion, I would start with the tuner.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:42 AM

Mike hooley lied 4x about it being an emissions friendly tune, and I wish I didn't know they sold tunes either.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by jrcart
Most cars should pass an emmisions test with headers as long as all the o2 sensor bungs and sensors where placed correctly throughout the exhaust system and the sensors are properly functioning and being read by the ECU. This sounds like a tune issue more than a header issue. I have had several cars pass the IL emmisions test with headers and a tune, even passed with cats deleted on a couple cars. I know tests vary from state to state but it would suprise me that you could not pass. Do they tell you specifially why you failed? In IL they give you a print out of the exact reason you failed so you can address it and get it fixed. was it in OBD plug in test or did they hook you up to a sniffer? This does not sound like an MBH problem in my opinion, I would start with the tuner.
Mike sold the tune so I feel like Mike is the problem. I have no issues with the headers since the kleeman tune has allowed me to pass emissions. I shouldve just done that tune to begin with instead of letting Mike take care of it.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blackdeathc63
Mike sold the tune so I feel like Mike is the problem. I have no issues with the headers since the kleeman tune has allowed me to pass emissions. I shouldve just done that tune to begin with instead of letting Mike take care of it.
Then yes, if he sold you the tune and said it was emmisions safe then it is on him. He needs to make it right if that is indeed the full story.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:28 PM

AMG
Make sure he is responsible for that...
Old 06-12-2013, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Funny when MBH is involved ppl come to the rescue and no one says anything. But if this was MHP they would get shunned by the same old group..

Just goes to show, none of these companies are perfect, what sets them apart is their ability to repair these issues and try keep their customers happy.

I believe MHP has a warning about their headers, saying they are for off road use only for a reason.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Merc63
Funny when MBH is involved ppl come to the rescue and no one says anything. But if this was MHP they would get shunned by the same old group..

Just goes to show, none of these companies are perfect, what sets them apart is their ability to repair these issues and try keep their customers happy.

I believe MHP has a warning about their headers, saying they are for off road use only for a reason.
Off road or not, to have 3 conversations over the phone about passing emissions and being told "Don't worry it's all good" everytime then paying $5500 to find out months later it doesnt pass just sucks and is incredibly frustrating. It's odd that paying for another tune fixes all the problems in a two day period.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:26 PM

KTM 200 xcw
Part of your problem is, doing research after the fact rather than before making your moves with companies and vendors.

I agree what happened is crappy and there is no reason that you should have failed with the items that you paid for, something in the tune had to have been incorrect.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Let me start by saying. we don't say, offer, or guarantee to anyone that they will pass any emissions testing. Same with Evotech, they remove a light from showing up on your dash. Each state has it's own emissions requirement. For someone to say I lied to them "4 times" or to make up words that I NEVER said is whats really BS here.

This system was sold and shipped in November of 2012. With a post phone praising the way the setup performs. While inquiring about us building a rear muffler section. 6 months later and after install, I'm contacted that his car will not pass emissions. After Lee had conversations with Evotech on his issue and Evotech was waiting on Lee. I get an email from Lee saying I bought a new tune and you owe me money.

Meanwhile Lee never presented anything Evotech or myself for that matter other than some words on the phone and email. Lee never send back the ECU to see if there was a mix up in some code or what not. Lee never gave Evotech a chance to make it right nor offered any proof that there was an issue.

By allowing a refund 6 months down the road and never presenting any requested evidence of the issue. Someone could simply switch tunes and try to make the previous tuner cover the cost of a 3rd party tune. Based non-existent issues. Just because they want to try out another tune.

I'm not saying this is what Lee did, but simply saying... In order to get a refund from Evotech 6 months down the road, data on the ECU would need to be looked at. Rather Lee just switched tunes and said I was paying for it. When really I have no idea if it was a o2 sensor issue, tune issue or any other issue for that matter. Why? Because he never sent of gave Evotech or myself any data.

Now for a calls to "shut me down" Saying I ripped someone off is total BS and an out right lie. We run an honest business and try to be transparent with our dealing on every level.

Walk into any store, buy something and 6 months later try to return it, for a refund.. Except what you are trying to return is gone and doesn't exist anymore. So you show up to the store empty handed and demanding money. Then say you will make it a public issue if I didn't agree.

To reiterate: We NEVER guarantee that anyone will pass their State emissions test. Our systems are sold as off road use only. As far as I know, all tunes available for Mercedes are off road use only as well.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
OP: Is your state's emissions via OBDII? Must be because I heard people with headers and w/o cats pass the sniffer test.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:51 PM

KTM 200 xcw
on a side note, I may or may not have had to pay $200 for state inspection b/c of a CEL related to my set up or, the fact that a catless mid pipe wouldn't pass visual inspection??

HMM, some guys just pay to play, and some complain about the cost of the game!
Old 06-12-2013, 03:24 PM

CLK63 Black Series
Sounds to me like the OP has some explaining to do.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
Let me start by saying. we don't say, offer, or guarantee to anyone that they will pass any emissions testing. Same with Evotech, they remove a light from showing up on your dash. Each state has it's own emissions requirement. For someone to say I lied to them "4 times" or to make up words that I NEVER said is whats really BS here.

This system was sold and shipped in November of 2012. With a post phone praising the way the setup performs. While inquiring about us building a rear muffler section. 6 months later and after install, I'm contacted that his car will not pass emissions. After Lee had conversations with Evotech on his issue and Evotech was waiting on Lee. I get an email from Lee saying I bought a new tune and you owe me money.

Meanwhile Lee never presented anything Evotech or myself for that matter other than some words on the phone and email. Lee never send back the ECU to see if there was a mix up in some code or what not. Lee never gave Evotech a chance to make it right nor offered any proof that there was an issue.

By allowing a refund 6 months down the road and never presenting any requested evidence of the issue. Someone could simply switch tunes and try to make the previous tuner cover the cost of a 3rd party tune. Based non-existent issues. Just because they want to try out another tune.

I'm not saying this is what Lee did, but simply saying... In order to get a refund from Evotech 6 months down the road, data on the ECU would need to be looked at. Rather Lee just switched tunes and said I was paying for it. When really I have no idea if it was a o2 sensor issue, tune issue or any other issue for that matter. Why? Because he never sent of gave Evotech or myself any data.

Now for a calls to "shut me down" Saying I ripped someone off is total BS and an out right lie. We run an honest business and try to be transparent with our dealing on every level.

Walk into any store, buy something and 6 months later try to return it, for a refund.. Except what you are trying to return is gone and doesn't exist anymore. So you show up to the store empty handed and demanding money. Then say you will make it a public issue if I didn't agree.

To reiterate: We NEVER guarantee that anyone will pass their State emissions test. Our systems are sold as off road use only. As far as I know, all tunes available for Mercedes are off road use only as well.
I pretty much agree with everything in your post and kind of what I suspected when i read OP's first post.

The only part of your post that is inaccurate is the part about nobody offering a tune approved for on road use. Weistec offers a 50 state legal tune with their 50 state legal CARB approved supercharger system.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:46 PM

Just wish someone had a clue how to tune and didn't feed me a line of s**t to make a sale. I would have been fine with just buying the headers and mids.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

360 Modena TT
Old 06-12-2013, 04:16 PM

Lies, lies, lies! You must have amnesia. You told me dont worry about emi. Im sure you remeber me being very nervous about your tune and asked multiple times if i need to worry about emi . Why dont you call me seeing how you have such great records.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Just wish someone had a clue how to tune and didn't feed me a line of s**t to make a sale. I would have been fine with just buying the headers and mids.
When people by headers and opt for tuning to match he headers. I make ZERO, count them ZERO DOLLARS. Im interested in selling header systems not tunes. I get asked probably more than most, about what tune is good. I refer people all over the place. Evotech, Weistec. EC. The list goes on the shops that have had luck tuning our headers. People call and ask me about tuning costs. I always have to call them back with a price. Reason? I dont have tuning prices. I call can get them. Whatever price is given to me... I give to you. It's that simple. I really make no money on a tune. In fact I loose money, is gas driving to Evotech, If you so happen to have sent me the ECU.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Lies, lies, lies! You must have amnesia. You told me dont worry about emi. Im sure you remeber me being very nervous about your tune and asked multiple times if i need to worry about emi . Why dont you call me seeing how you have such great records.
You have told Evotech you had access to Mercedes testing equipment and would run some test. You NEVER did that. Or sent Evotech or I anything.

Lee, You are a Mercedes service tech. Not the novice car guy you are trying to paint yourself to be. You are trying to paint me out to be a cheap used car salesman who is blowing smoke just to make a buck. Anyone who knows me, knows I am not that way at all. In fact I own another company and that is the main source of my income. We will just say I'm not hard up for selling you a tune. I would never tell anyone "not to worry about emissions"

You said to evotech, you had access to the Mercedes testing equipment and would run some test and send the read outs to Evotech.

Answer this question.. Did you send Evotech or myself anything so either one of us could confirm the problem was in fact the evotech tune?
The answer to that is NO.

Did you not run this tune on your car for 6 months before contacting Evotech or myself about an issue?

The only thing you were willing to send was a bill for your new tune?

This is my last response to this thread. I said my bit and know that we put out great products.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
For my C63, I had MBH headers and an Evotech tune and was specifically told by ACG that I wouldn't pass smog in California as is. Does the OP have any proof of his communications with MBH or Evotech to substantiate his claims? You would think that if you wanted to get a guarantee from a company you would want to get it in writing, otherwise, what good is the guarantee? I have never heard or read of anyone else receiving the same sort of promises by MBH/Evotech and only come to realize they were illusory.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

360 Modena TT
You have told Evotech you had access to Mercedes testing equipment and would run some test. You NEVER did that. Or sent Evotech or I anything.

Lee, You are a Mercedes service tech. Not the novice car guy you are trying to paint yourself to be. You are trying to paint me out to be a cheap used car salesman who is blowing smoke just to make a buck. Anyone who knows me, knows I am not that way at all. In fact I own another company and that is the main source of my income. We will just say I'm not hard up for selling you a tune. I would never tell anyone "not to worry about emissions"

You said to evotech, you had access to the Mercedes testing equipment and would run some test and send the read outs to Evotech.

Answer this question.. Did you send Evotech or myself anything so either one of us could confirm the problem was in fact the evotech tune?
The answer to that is NO.

Did you not run this tune on your car for 6 months before contacting Evotech or myself about an issue?

The only thing you were willing to send was a bill for your new tune?

This is my last response to this thread. I said my bit and know that we put out great products.
i was under the impression the OP was just a young kid and new to the game

the OP , being a tech , should know what could happen when you start changing things like this .
Old 06-12-2013, 05:19 PM

2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 DUCATI 1198S
OP, are you really a MB service tech? Something here doesn't add up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problem with mbhmotorspots and tune from EvoTech