Can the 2 cars be compared?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350, G55, AMG GTS, C63 507
Can the 2 cars be compared?

Hey everyone,

Anyone here owns an Aston Martin V8 Vantage or at least drove one? How does it compare to the C63. The C63 is faster and more powerful but how does it compare in the (putting a smile on your face) aspect?

The V8 Vantage has an amazing sound, and is so fun to drive. I got lucky and tested the C63 a few months back, but didn't have the chance to really "enjoy" it i wasn't alone.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
c63 sounds great too. cant go wrong with either .. just whats your style ?
Old 06-30-2013, 02:22 PM

I own a V8 Vantage but i'm crazy about the C63, i am waiting for the new generation next year! I just wanted to read everyone's feedback comparing the two.

i must add, the C63 does sound great!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:55 PM

2012 C63 Coupe
I sold my 2009 V8V and bought the C63. Not because the C63 is faster etc...I just move on about every 2 years. The Vantage is one of the best looking cars made period. It was an incredible attention getter (good-bad....up to you). The exhaust note is as intoxicating as the C63.....Actually was a very fun car to own....Costs roughly double of what the C63 did and since I had a bunch into it, it is kind of nice to not have a car payment now. The service costs were outrageous at about $2k per year for a glorified oil change. Had no real problems with the car but had to have the passenger airbag sensor replaced (warranty) and a position sensor on the tranny had a drip (also replaced under warranty). I would not own ANY Aston without it being under warranty as repair costs are in line with Ferrari & Lambo's !!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:35 PM

Thanks for helping! Yes both cars sound amazing and the drive is fun. I dont own a C63 yet to know the real difference but as you made clear that both cars are great to own.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I had a deposit on an AMV8 and went to Gaydon to visit the plant. The Vantage feels so much more special than a C63. You are in super car territory when it comes to attention to detail, fit and finish and attention getter.
However I ended up cancelling my order when I drove one. I extensively drove a stick and their "auto" box. The performance is just not there, the V8 has 100 less torque and at least 1/2 sec slower to 60.
I know I know, not everything is about performance but IMHO paying $140K and getting this kind of performance is just not acceptable.
The "auto" box was so bad it was a deal breaker. It is so jerky at regular day to day driving. Makes the passenger feel like you do not know how to shift. Very similar to the SMG1 gearbox from BMW and that is 10 years old. The 6SM is the way to go if you get one.
I really feel they should have put the SC like Jaguar did on their XKR-S and you had a winner. I think AM did not want to have a lower model be faster than a DB9 and that was a huge mistake. They came up with the Vantage 12 but the price then becomes Ferrari territory.
The final issue is that the AM depreciates even faster than an AMG. No joke. you can pick up a mint 2008 for less than 70K but like someone said, you'd better have an outstanding aftermarket warranty. The maintenance is exotic pricing as well if you go to the dealer.
Final thought: Cost of a new Vantage: about 130K, Feeling like James Bond: priceless
Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 PM

1997 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, 2014 Mercedes Benz ML 350, 2008 MB C63 AMG (deceased), 2009 MB C63 AMG
I test drove a 2013 V12 Vantage in Carmel Valley last August. The salesman for Aston Martin apparently used to sell Mercedes Benzes and during casual conversation, when he heard that I was an AMG owner, he urged me to really push the Vantage through some backroads. It was during the Pebble Beach Concours week and Aston Martin and Bugatti were holding test drives for prospective clients on the same backroad. I drove the V12 Vantage manual, despite my desire to really test drive the DBS because the line for driving the DBS was too long. I was not disappointed, as the 12 cylinder Vantage was an amazing piece of kit. The car can take turns at a must faster rate of speed with more grip then my C63. I don't know about the V8 Vantage, but the V12 felt at least as fast as my then non-tuned C63. The manual transmission was excellent, much easier and more prescise than the manual transmission in my F355. The Vantage was so easy to get used to heel-toe shifting because of the precise tranny and well designed pedal placement. I actually passed up a test driver of a red/black Bugatti Veyron at the prompting of my co-pilot, as the Veyron driver was nursing along in front of me, obviously not as comfortable as I was test driving his vehicle. I dont blame him one bit! If you get an AM and you are a true enthusiast, then you should probably get the manual transmission, as I've heard the paddle shifting auto is rubbish, and in my experience the manual tranny is so good. You cannot beat the looks of the Vantage, as others have echoed it is one of the prettiest cars out there, period. If you like C63 torque, then the v12 Vantage will have the power you need, however at a much higher price. It's all about what price you want to pay or can afford. The C63 is a wonderful all around car for a bargain, the Aston V8 or V12 is more special and more desirable period, at double the price or more. They are no comparison, in my opinion. Better to. Compare the C63 BS to the the V8 vantage, as a better, more logical comparison. You are a lucky man or woman to be in a position to make any of these choices.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by emericr
I had a deposit on an AMV8 and went to Gaydon to visit the plant. The Vantage feels so much more special than a C63. You are in super car territory when it comes to attention to detail, fit and finish and attention getter.
However I ended up cancelling my order when I drove one. I extensively drove a stick and their "auto" box. The performance is just not there, the V8 has 100 less torque and at least 1/2 sec slower to 60.
I know I know, not everything is about performance but IMHO paying $140K and getting this kind of performance is just not acceptable.
The "auto" box was so bad it was a deal breaker. It is so jerky at regular day to day driving. Makes the passenger feel like you do not know how to shift. Very similar to the SMG1 gearbox from BMW and that is 10 years old. The 6SM is the way to go if you get one.
I really feel they should have put the SC like Jaguar did on their XKR-S and you had a winner. I think AM did not want to have a lower model be faster than a DB9 and that was a huge mistake. They came up with the Vantage 12 but the price then becomes Ferrari territory.
The final issue is that the AM depreciates even faster than an AMG. No joke. you can pick up a mint 2008 for less than 70K but like someone said, you'd better have an outstanding aftermarket warranty. The maintenance is exotic pricing as well if you go to the dealer.
Final thought: Cost of a new Vantage: about 130K, Feeling like James Bond: priceless
All true, performance is not the best but it is one hell of a car. +1 on feeling like James Bond! The auto transmission after 5 years seems good to me but not excellent, when someone drives the car for the first time it jerks like crazy but I got the hold of it.

Last edited by N91K; 07-02-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jean Valjean
I test drove a 2013 V12 Vantage in Carmel Valley last August. The salesman for Aston Martin apparently used to sell Mercedes Benzes and during casual conversation, when he heard that I was an AMG owner, he urged me to really push the Vantage through some backroads. It was during the Pebble Beach Concours week and Aston Martin and Bugatti were holding test drives for prospective clients on the same backroad. I drove the V12 Vantage manual, despite my desire to really test drive the DBS because the line for driving the DBS was too long. I was not disappointed, as the 12 cylinder Vantage was an amazing piece of kit. The car can take turns at a must faster rate of speed with more grip then my C63. I don't know about the V8 Vantage, but the V12 felt at least as fast as my then non-tuned C63. The manual transmission was excellent, much easier and more prescise than the manual transmission in my F355. The Vantage was so easy to get used to heel-toe shifting because of the precise tranny and well designed pedal placement. I actually passed up a test driver of a red/black Bugatti Veyron at the prompting of my co-pilot, as the Veyron driver was nursing along in front of me, obviously not as comfortable as I was test driving his vehicle. I dont blame him one bit! If you get an AM and you are a true enthusiast, then you should probably get the manual transmission, as I've heard the paddle shifting auto is rubbish, and in my experience the manual tranny is so good. You cannot beat the looks of the Vantage, as others have echoed it is one of the prettiest cars out there, period. If you like C63 torque, then the v12 Vantage will have the power you need, however at a much higher price. It's all about what price you want to pay or can afford. The C63 is a wonderful all around car for a bargain, the Aston V8 or V12 is more special and more desirable period, at double the price or more. They are no comparison, in my opinion. Better to. Compare the C63 BS to the the V8 vantage, as a better, more logical comparison. You are a lucky man or woman to be in a position to make any of these choices.
Thank you appreciated! The V12 is amazing for sure but I own the V8 which is also great and I love it, the transmission isn't the best but I honestly got used to it but when comparing to the C63 it is a different story especially performance wise. Looks and quality makes a huge difference but hey the C63 looks AWESOME too..