C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Service A - 10000 miles - does it reset your tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 coupe
Service A - 10000 miles - does it reset your tune?

I just had my service A done ~ 10000 miles. I cant find any information if they have reset ECU or not on the print out, however, my car that I have had tuned, does feel like it was reset (not as responsive, etc) I have the the handheld programmer, but was just wondering if they always reset ECU during those major service cycles (i.e. service A).

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 PM

2012 C63 Coupe
I just had mine done (A service) a couple weeks ago and to be honest I was not sure about it during the drive home....I had V4 Eurocharged that I had not loaded yet which was what I did immediately upon getting home. Sorry I know this does not answer your question but if you have the Genius (or other handheld) with the tune go ahead and re-load it....then you'll be sure you have it.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Whenever I get a service, there's a line item that says "reset ecu". Not sure if that wipes tunes or if it just clears adaptations by the computer.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 PM

KTM 200 xcw
Why would they reset the ECU??

And why are you not doing your own services?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by jellis102.com
Why would they reset the ECU??

And why are you not doing your own services?
And wtf is this question? You think we all have the skills or time to do our own services? Not everyone is a cheapo... just saying.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by - Guilty -
And wtf is this question? You think we all have the skills or time to do our own services? Not everyone is a cheapo... just saying.
Mercedes "service A" is just an oil change. It has nothing to do with being cheap, and everything to do with ensuring things are done right.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:41 PM

KTM 200 xcw
lol, my 21 yo daughter could perform the A and B services on these cars, it isn't rocket science changing oil and filters.

It's not about being cheap, it's about knowing how to maintain your own vehicles, (I was raised in a shop working on cars) no matter what brand you drive, time is money too, I'd rather spend an hour in my garage doing it myself than to spend 3-4 hours going to the dealer and having to wait.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
Originally Posted by jellis102.com
lol, my 21 yo daughter could perform the A and B services on these cars, it isn't rocket science changing oil and filters.

It's not about being cheap, it's about knowing how to maintain your own vehicles, (I was raised in a shop working on cars) no matter what brand you drive, time is money too, I'd rather spend an hour in my garage doing it myself than to spend 3-4 hours going to the dealer and having to wait.
For some of us it would take far longer to attempt to do it ourselves than to just to go to the dealership and knock out some work on a laptop.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:28 PM

KTM 200 xcw
To each his own!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by MercPlease
For some of us it would take far longer to attempt to do it ourselves than to just to go to the dealership and knock out some work on a laptop.
That was exactly my point. No need to go to the dealer either, Midas or Sears will do the job and it will take less than an hour.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:31 PM

c63 coupe
I bought that prepaid maintenance when I got the car...Next time I wont go for it and use my own shops ... as for doing it yourself, thats not my thing
Old 07-10-2013, 04:42 PM

C63AMG Coupe
While traveling Jiffy Lube once put back the wrong oil plug in my "college car" a Plymouth Horizon 4 cyl. that held 4 qts oil. one hr after leaving Jiffy the check engine light came on.... dipstick read low....crawled to service station , took 2 qts to reach fill line...lost more oil , went to local garage where we discovered wrong plug was put back at Jiffy.... I'd be REally pissed if this happened to my C63.... know another who took his 1-2 yr old Porsche 911 to dealer for service, oil cheange was performed, but tech forgot to add any oil back..... 2 miles from dealer he had an unhappy aircooled 911. I know another guy same story, no oil added, new motor etc.
I always do my own oil, first for OCD issues - I let it drip for 30 mins then add 1/2 qt new and let it drip another 30 min, then top up. But I have a big garage,ramps, tools etc.
So it's all about your "OCD" level and availability of garage..I don't know how you city guys do it, but then again you don't have to mow 12 acres.
I also am not comfortable with sucking oil out dipstick, yeah I have done it in boats were there is NO access to the oil pan, but I like seeing that black oil and any wear particles follow gravity into my waste pan....
Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
no even though its listed on the service sheet, its not going to get done. Techs dont have time to pointlessly hook up the sds and clear codes. Unless you have a check engine light etc... even a reset - which would be clearing codes wouldnt affect it. Itd have to get an m.e. or transmission software update to wipe it out. Sure changing oil and filter on the car isnt difficult but if you dont have a lift or the proper tools why would you attempt it. Breaking the cheapest part on these cars is going to cost you at minimum 50$ and they probably wont have the part in stock. So you have to weigh your options... Are you mechanically inclined? have tools? have knowledge - other than some of the ghetto mechanics that post up terrible misinformed write ups? Is this your daily driver and can you afford down time if you screw up? Theres no shame in letting someone who knows what they are doing work on your car guys. Its not some 1k$ beater. a new crate motor will only cost you 40k$
Old 07-11-2013, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
I think you just called me cheap..

Also, ain't nothing wrong with being cheap.... or frugal as I like to call it (my wife calls me cheap too..)
Old 07-11-2013, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
"reset ecu " probably is just referring to resetting the service indicator in the instrument cluster.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by Mort
"reset ecu " probably is just referring to resetting the service indicator in the instrument cluster.
My work order always says "reset ecu" as well as "reset fss light". Mind you, this is at an indep mechanic, not the dealership.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Now, for an answer.

Yes, it is entirely possible that a new ECU tune was loaded. As part of all services, the dealer (a good one) will check if there are any software updates and apply them free of charge. If your version is not the latest, they load the latest one.

I always confirm with my SA, not to reprogram the ECU. Resetting, or clearing codes will not change the engine program. MY dealer is cool with that. Others will flag it in the system which can hurt warrantee claims.

In SF Bay Area, I can tell you Fletcher in Fremont is customer friendly and Beschoff is not.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
Now, for an answer.

Yes, it is entirely possible that a new ECU tune was loaded. As part of all services, the dealer (a good one) will check if there are any software updates and apply them free of charge. If your version is not the latest, they load the latest one.

I always confirm with my SA, not to reprogram the ECU. Resetting, or clearing codes will not change the engine program. MY dealer is cool with that. Others will flag it in the system which can hurt warrantee claims.

In SF Bay Area, I can tell you Fletcher in Fremont is customer friendly and Beschoff is not.
no, thats not right at all. Mercedes will not pay for a software update or reflash without it being instructed during diagnosis or a bulletin. Do you know how many control modules you have? it would take hours to go through and check all of them much less apply them. There are telematics updates every couple of months for most of the newer systems that take 2hrs+ to do. That is not part of the service. Reset - is a clearing of codes, however most shops dont do this. Whoever told you this is full of crap.