C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Thinking about making the jump to the C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo
Thinking about making the jump to the C63

Hey guys. I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks because I've been interested in upgrading to a C63.

I currently drive a 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Also have a 60th Anniversary Lotus Elise Supercharged in the garage too.

Has anyone made the jump from a STi/Evo that can share their experience with the jump?

I'll be buying a used one as well. Probably a 2009 with ~40k miles on it due to some money restrictions. After selling/trading in my Evo I'll have a budget around $35k-38k. Is there anything I should be looking for when looking at these cars or just do the typical drill when looking at a used car?

Also looking at an IS F as an alternative to the C63. Both cars are in contention after a lot of soul-searching haha. I have driven the IS F extensively ; did a Skip Barber High Performance driving school at Lime Rock and the IS F was the main car used for the track, autocrossing and the "aggresive" lane change exercises. Haven't driven the C63 yet unfortunately as there don't seem to be many for sale here in upstate New York and I haven't seen one around here in years.

Thank you in advanced for any help and discussion you can provide and I look forward to being a member of this community soon enough!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:59 PM

Scooter
My best advice would be to find one that you can test drive. That's what sold it for me. The M156 is truly something special.

I had an Evo 9 MR, and the C63 is a completely different animal; it's an apples to oranges comparison. I went from a raw 400hp AWD manual 4 cylinder turbo car to a V8 automatic luxurious torque-monster, and have not looked back. I can confidently say that the C63 puts a smile on my face more than the Evo ever did, but I haven't had to deal with winter yet.

A lot of people rag on the pre-facelift interior, but it is light-years ahead of the Evo interior. Granted, you had a 2011, which was superior to the Evo 9, but still, you get the idea.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, C55 (Sold)
I made the jump from an STi to the C55, and then to the C63. Difference was: Lack of turbo lag, immediate response to the throttle pedal. Not so agile as the STi (C55), however the C63 is a huge improvement. I'll say C63 is better than the STi in steering feel, and equal in lateral agility. Heavier, yes, but is a much more solid car. Stability a high speed is relaxed, the STi felt like it was getting nervous (a trait of AMGs).

Things that you need to consider:
- Definitely buy an extended warranty, or at least look for one with warranty still active. CPO is a plus.
- Check the bolsters on the seats: These babies have huge bolsters and non-caring owners will ruin the leather when seating.
- Look for one with convenience package (leather, navi, etc.).
- Some C63s out there have clear headlights, not the smoked ones with HIDs.
- If you can buy one that was not identified on the batch that had the head bolt issue, you'll be fine. I believe the ones produced MY2010 do not have that issue (peers will confirm).

Good luck! These little monsters are a blast to drive...
Old 08-21-2013, 03:38 PM

Evo
Originally Posted by AWD_AMG
My best advice would be to find one that you can test drive. That's what sold it for me. The M156 is truly something special.

I had an Evo 9 MR, and the C63 is a completely different animal; it's an apples to oranges comparison. I went from a raw 400hp AWD manual 4 cylinder turbo car to a V8 automatic luxurious torque-monster, and have not looked back. I can confidently say that the C63 puts a smile on my face more than the Evo ever did, but I haven't had to deal with winter yet.

A lot of people rag on the pre-facelift interior, but it is light-years ahead of the Evo interior. Granted, you had a 2011, which was superior to the Evo 9, but still, you get the idea.
Haha even the Evo X interior is pretty craptastic so I definitely looking forward to the nicer interior found in the C63 because any sort of leather or trim is an upgrade for me.

I'm trying to find one to test drive or at least ride in but I have failed thusfar!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:43 PM

Evo
Originally Posted by LuisC55AMG
I made the jump from an STi to the C55, and then to the C63. Difference was: Lack of turbo lag, immediate response to the throttle pedal. Not so agile as the STi (C55), however the C63 is a huge improvement. I'll say C63 is better than the STi in steering feel, and equal in lateral agility. Heavier, yes, but is a much more solid car. Stability a high speed is relaxed, the STi felt like it was getting nervous (a trait of AMGs).

Things that you need to consider:
- Definitely buy an extended warranty, or at least look for one with warranty still active. CPO is a plus.
- Check the bolsters on the seats: These babies have huge bolsters and non-caring owners will ruin the leather when seating.
- Look for one with convenience package (leather, navi, etc.).
- Some C63s out there have clear headlights, not the smoked ones with HIDs.
- If you can buy one that was not identified on the batch that had the head bolt issue, you'll be fine. I believe the ones produced MY2010 do not have that issue (peers will confirm).

Good luck! These little monsters are a blast to drive...
Awesome post. Thank you for your perspective.

Great list of things for me to consider. I'm pretty early on in the process but I'm excited. Definitely going to be looking for some of the convenience packages, although some dealers don't list them and it's tough to figure out if they have select packages from only pictures. Gotta do my due diligence though I suppose.

Glad to hear you love yours so much though. I love my Evo but I think a C63 is a massive step-up.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Get it.

Just make sure you have a gas station close...this thing doesn't sip gas..it chugs it..well if you drive like grandpa you'll get good gas mileage but that exhaust note is too hard to resist.

And tires...I thought all the guys here were kinda lying when they said tires go around 5,000KM..well mine went around that so make sure you invest in a good set of tires!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:14 PM

2013 C63 AMG, 2013 B250
Originally Posted by avery.whss
Just make sure you have a gas station close...this thing doesn't sip gas..it chugs it..
I hear that. On my last tank I got 248kms (154 miles) off a full tank. Yikes.

That is all city driving with basically zero highway but still...
Old 08-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by Vise_
I hear that. On my last tank I got 248kms (154 miles) off a full tank. Yikes.

That is all city driving with basically zero highway but still...
yeah sounds about average for me...sometimes I'll get 300kms a tank...I don't even pay attention anymore..like a guy on jay lenos garage said once.."Smiles per miles" and you get a ton of those in the 63

Last edited by avery.whss; 08-21-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:55 PM

2013 C63 AMG, 2013 B250
Originally Posted by avery.whss
yeah sounds about average for me...sometimes I'll get 300kms a tank...I don't even pay attention anymore..like a guy on jay lenos garage said once.."Smiles per miles" and you get a ton of those in the 63
Yeah exactly. My commute to work is only 5km each way so really its not like I'm filling up every couple days... no biggie and lots of fun each and every trip.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 PM

Evo
Haha gas wont be an issue. :P Gas stations everywhere...

Plus, you know what they say, it's not the destination, it's the journey lol. I'm getting too excited here and I still haven't sold my Evo yet. Sigh.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Where in NY? Im in Rochester. I switched from an Sti. To be fair, I first picked up a bmw 135i when my motor blew on the Sti. Held onto the Sti for a bit, decided to sell, then bought the c63 to compliment my 1 series.

I'll never look back at subaru or anything other than bmw/mb for that matter.

Also, over the past 19xx miles in my c63 I've averaged 19.x mpg's and 45mph so it really isn't that bad.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:12 AM

Evo
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Where in NY? Im in Rochester. I switched from an Sti. To be fair, I first picked up a bmw 135i when my motor blew on the Sti. Held onto the Sti for a bit, decided to sell, then bought the c63 to compliment my 1 series.

I'll never look back at subaru or anything other than bmw/mb for that matter.

Also, over the past 19xx miles in my c63 I've averaged 19.x mpg's and 45mph so it really isn't that bad.
Thanks for your perspective. My bestfriend has a 135i and it's a really great car. I've pretty much ruled out getting a coupe though or I would probably be giving that car a closer look. Really sexy car too

I'm in the Hudson Valley (nearest "city" is Poughkeepsie).

I'd love to find one around me to just ride in but it's proving difficult haha.

Glad to hear you're happy with the switch. I'm getting pumped !