C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Trade-in value Question on your C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Miserly mpg, exhibitionist torque (i.e. Q5 TDI)
Trade-in value Question on your C63

I'm curious if anyone has done a dealer trade in with their former C63 recently. I have a 2012 sedan (non development, non leather) which retailed for approx. $65k new. The dealer trade in values I've looked at are all over the map -- from $41k on edmunds to almost $50k on KBB. I'm curious if anyone has traded theirs in recently and the ballpark value they got for it.

Btw, I am aware that trading in a C63 on anything is borderline insane. I don't think you can have more fun on public roads in anything south of $100k than you can have in a C63. I'm just considering going with something a tad more practical, unfortunately. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 P31
You are better off selling your car to a private party. A 2012 C63 is a pretty desirable car, so you should be able to sell it easily. List it on Craigslist, Autotrader and in these forums as well.

If you have a low mileage 2013 C63 in great condition, it would easily go for $55k. A loaded 2012 C63 with leather, P31 and other options should sell for $60k+.

Last edited by vmx128; 08-23-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by vmx128
You are better off selling your car to a private party. A 2012 C63 is a pretty desirable car, so you should be able to sell it easily. List it on Craigslist, Autotrader and in these forums as well.

If you have a low mileage 2013 C63 in great condition, it would easily go for $55k. A loaded 2012 C63 with leather, P31 and other options should sell for $60k+.
Thanks for the feedback. Under normal conditions I'd agree that a private sale is the way to go. In my state, though, when you trade an old car against a new one, you only pay tax on the difference in price. Tax is around 9%, and thus the benefit of selling to a private party is often wiped out by the additional tax you pay on the full value of the new car.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by Wolvesq
I'm curious if anyone has done a dealer trade in with their former C63 recently. I have a 2012 sedan (non development, non leather) which retailed for approx. $65k new. The dealer trade in values I've looked at are all over the map -- from $41k on edmunds to almost $50k on KBB. I'm curious if anyone has traded theirs in recently and the ballpark value they got for it.

Btw, I am aware that trading in a C63 on anything is borderline insane. I don't think you can have more fun on public roads in anything south of $100k than you can have in a C63. I'm just considering going with something a tad more practical, unfortunately. Thanks.

Whats more practical then a 4 door sedan with 450hp? a prius?
Old 08-23-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by avery.whss
Whats more practical then a 4 door sedan with 450hp? a prius?
An SUV with 450 hp

Btw, I've test driven a lot of nice cars recently. Inevitably, on the drive home in my C63, I can't help but concede how galactically great it is.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by Wolvesq
An SUV with 450 hp

Btw, I've test driven a lot of nice cars recently. Inevitably, on the drive home in my C63, I can't help but concede how galactically great it is.

Well that's a good trade off then...some of those SUVs haul ***!!! and they look sexy. At least you're not down grading in the HP department
Old 08-23-2013, 06:38 PM

06 CTT-S
i think trade in value varies (depending on the dealer's used inventories, location, etc).. for an SUV, have you tried the new cayenne turbo? hehe
Old 08-23-2013, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
while shopping for my replacement car this week, I was offered $45k (Ferrari); $47k (Porsche) and $48k (BMW) on my loaded p31 2011 w/10,000 miles and perfect! I'm just in the inital phase of buying and would be happy to get $50k for my car on trade in, I too have high sales tax in my state, so private sale would have to be $54k to be worth it and I don't want the hassle.

BTW, after driving everything 2014 M6, 2014 Maserati GT MC, 2004 360, 2007 F430, 2014 911S (c2s)--I'm going 911S, all day long (if my budget allowed, I'd do the F430, but no warranty and me and a Ferrari = "operation light money on fire").

The 911S is an amazing car (and I'm not a huge P-car groupie) w/sport exhaust, it sounds as good or better than my C63 (yeah, I'm not kidding). And it's faster in every way and super fun to beat on! It'll be around $125k, but they'll take $10k off a 2014 and I have an amazing car to beat on with warranty for the next few years!!

Sorry for the hijack

Last edited by black-clk500; 08-23-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:05 PM

2011 C63 P31
Originally Posted by black-clk500
while shopping for my replacement car this week, I was offered $45k (Ferrari); $47k (Porsche) and $48k (BMW) on my loaded p31 2011 w/10,000 miles and perfect!
but they'll take $10k off a 2014 and I have an amazing car to beat on with warranty for the next few years!!
$47k for a low mileage loaded 2011 P31!! Of course they will take $10k off a 2014 911S! They will make most of that back when they sell your C63 for $55k. So the trade-in tax savings are going straight into your dealers pocket!
Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 PM

your mom
Threads like this make me wish I don't have to trade in my C63. Holy depreciation.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
For a reference point:

My previous 2010 C63 had all the options, just no LSD or PP. With 45k on the odometer, I received $47k for it. I think that it is a hell of a deal. I'm pretty sure it all depends on the person/dealership that you are dealing with. Just adding my experience.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
Originally Posted by black-clk500

The 911S is an amazing car (and I'm not a huge P-car groupie) w/sport exhaust, it sounds as good or better than my C63 (yeah, I'm not kidding).
you just lost all your credability on that one. not that the c63 is the end all exhaust note by any means. But that porsche is far from a desirable sound. the flat 6 sounds terrible regardless of make or car its in. Im sure it drives great but sounds great? not happening. it sounds tolerable at maybe 5k+rpm other than that it sounds like a gay billy goat growling.

Last edited by roadtalontsi; 08-24-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: added video
Old 08-24-2013, 12:29 PM

2013 P31 C63, 2014 Bluetec ML, 2004 GT3
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
you just lost all your credability on that one. not that the c63 is the end all exhaust note by any means. But that porsche is far from a desirable sound. the flat 6 sounds terrible regardless of make or car its in. Im sure it drives great but sounds great? not happening. it sounds tolerable at maybe 5k+rpm other than that it sounds like a gay billy goat growling.

Don't argue with an ibex - YouTube
Seriously? my GT3 sounds as good as my C63, just different. the 991 911's sound great with the sport exhaust option. Anyone who talks down a 911 has never owned one — they are amazing cars to drive and to own.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
hahahaha ....
Old 08-24-2013, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Originally Posted by vmx128

Really? If I could get low 60s for my almost loaded (p31, prem, LSD,light etc) with 14k and new PSS' I would do it I think. New E's are tempting but really I think I should wait for the new C.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by esses
Seriously? my GT3 sounds as good as my C63, just different. the 991 911's sound great with the sport exhaust option. Anyone who talks down a 911 has never owned one — they are amazing cars to drive and to own.
I've owned 2 911 series, they are great cars, possibly even iconic, but a compromise none the less...all their new designs are mid or front engined
it's become sort of cultish, with people saying if you dis it, you never owned one...I never owned a Corvair but know it is not a good performance layout

and no one else makes a rear engined car, for good reason, it's not the optimum layout for performance...Dr. Ing., honorary certificate (h.c.), F. Porsche happed to have some beetles laying around in the rubble after WWII, so he improvised and made some sporters. creative, yes, innovative, possibly, best layout...nope

the layout was chosen for manufacturing/assemby ease, not performance
(although it does do well in German winters)

imho an M3 coupe is the best hipo tourer out there...it's much cheaper, more practical, equal or better performance than the base 911, and on par with an S...

granted, the GT3 is a special car, purpose built and a great weekender, but I'm betting if the good Dr. could do it again with better resources and materials at his disposal he would do it different, and his successors have borne that out...you can only lengthen the wheelbase and shorten the drivetrain (move engine forward) so much, until you have to flip it over an make it mid engined
Old 08-24-2013, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
I've owned 2 911 series, they are great cars, possibly even iconic, but a compromise none the less...all their new designs are mid or front engined
it's become sort of cultish, with people saying if you dis it, you never owned one...I never owned a Corvair but know it is not a good performance layout

and no one else makes a rear engined car, for good reason, it's not the optimum layout for performance...Dr. Ing., honorary certificate (h.c.), F. Porsche happed to have some beetles laying around in the rubble after WWII, so he improvised and made some sporters. creative, yes, innovative, possibly, best layout...nope

imho an M3 coupe is the best hipo tourer out there...it's much cheaper, more practical, equal or better performance than the base 911, and on par with an S...

granted, the GT3 is a special car, purpose built and a great weekender, but I'm betting if the good Dr. could do it again with better resources and materials at his disposal he would do it different, and his successors have borne that out...you can only lengthen the wheelbase and shorten the drivetrain (move engine forward) so much, until you have to flip it over an make it mid engined

wow so many good points indeed...

BTW that video is exactly how some M3 sounds in high rev...
Old 08-26-2013, 11:02 AM

2011 Range Rover Sport SC
Originally Posted by esses
At full tilt, the GT3 sounds pretty good. It's a different sound than a big V8, but it's a good sound nonetheless.

That being said, the 997TT sounds pretty blah. Those two compressors in the middle of the exhaust tend to muffle any decent sound that the engine produces, so they're rather muted.

Originally Posted by Ingenieur

Agreed, in the sense that the 911 layout is far from ideal. You have to give full credit to the Porsche engineers....a modern 911 is a pretty difficult car to spin these days, compared to the dreaded lift-throttle snap oversteer quality that 70's and 80's models exhibited.

But I also agree that if you want a Porsche sports-car, you're better off looking at a Cayman. The 911 may still be classified as a sports-car, but it's probably drifted more towards sports-touring (ala M3 or C63) than pure sports-car. The Cayman is Porsche's proper sports-car now. The biggest challenge Porsche faces is their reluctance to build a real, high HP version of the Cayman (which would quite quickly chew into 911 sales). If they ever built a "Cayman GT3" it would be a pretty stunning car.

As to trade-in values on a C63, I was offered between $45K and $50K for my '12 C63 Coupe with PP (fully loaded as well), with 15K miles on it. That's basically a $30,000 hit from brand new, 12 months ago. It's not the worst depreciation I've seen, but it's right up there.

Patrick
Old 08-27-2013, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Patrick B,
If you've still got a loaded '12 coupe for $45-$50k, I'd be happy to take it off your hands!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:05 AM

2011 C63 P31
Originally Posted by rory breaker
Really? If I could get low 60s for my almost loaded (p31, prem, LSD,light etc) with 14k and new PSS' I would do it I think. New E's are tempting but really I think I should wait for the new C.
If your car has a MSRP of around 80k, and if you find a buyer who wants and values the options you have on your car, I am sure you can get $60k for it. I would consider 0-15k miles "low mileage", 15-30k moderate mileage and 30k+ high mileage on our cars. So you are on the high end of "low mileage". This is subjective, of course, but it does depend on the car. A 2-3 year old Ferrari would be a "high mileage" car even with only 12k miles since most of the supercars on the market have hardly been driven.

Originally Posted by zcct04
Patrick B,
If you've still got a loaded '12 coupe for $45-$50k, I'd be happy to take it off your hands!
That is a dealer low ball offer. There would be a line forming outside his door if he was selling a loaded '12 coupe with PP for $45k, so don't hold your breath! If he push the dealer hard, that $50k would become $55k, so you are looking at $60k again for a private sale.

IMHO, $60k or thereabouts for a low mileage '12 coupe or sedan with a $80k MSRP is fair value if you can find the right buyer. I wouldn't sell the car for much less unless I really had to sell it.

There are a few factors that would determine what it would actually sell for, including but not limited to the seller's desperation, location, remaining warranty, condition and color/options.