clear cote peeling off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.8T
Angry clear cote peeling off

Hey guy. i have a 09 C63
recently while washing my car i notices the my clear cote peeling of.
one of the areas are by the rear window where the glass meets with the metal. also by the back tail lights just around it. and also on the roof by the rack tabs.
any idea why its happening ? does any one has the same issue.
does the MB covers that as a manufacturer defect ?
please help.

sorry my car is dirty ill post more pics.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:44 PM

C63 amg
They will try blaming it on something you did. Like maybe you didn't use the right type of wash blah blah.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:24 PM

1.8T
really. i mean my warranty is out about 4 month ago. plus i do take care of my car its an 09 but it only has 36000 miles.
ill go to the stealership tomorrow and see what they can do(74000 dollar car 4 years 36000 and the clear cote peeling off WTF)
Old 09-02-2013, 04:33 PM

C63 amg
If it's a widespread problem they will look at it and even then it is doubtful. I am curious to see what they say.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The factory clear shouldn't be peeling like that. Did you buy the car new? It could have been repainted. Sometimes it may have minor damage at the port and they repaint after repairing the damage and it wouldn't be disclosed.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:19 PM

C63
good luck. paint is touchy because they usually cover it under the 3/36 and then there is a rust/corrosion warranty but that has nothing to do with paint. so, it's a good will thing unless specifically denoted - i haven't paid attention to that with M-B.

look in the door jamb on the driver side. does it have a "C" in the paint code? if so, that is ceramic clear coat. i am not sure Ceramiclear has had any issues like this.

though it has nothing to do with M-B, Honda has admitted that they had problems with certain colors of their cars over a particular period where the clear coat fails. they repainted the roof of my wife's Civic Si sedan before any official action was taken by Honda in terms of admitting a problem. the paint literally popped of the roof in spots after the clear coat failed. then, they sent a letter out to everyone saying they would warranty the paint on certain areas for seven years from purchase date. so, the roof was repainted. the edges of the roof rails, trunk and hood are bare, the clear coat is completely white and missing on one fender and the hood and missing in spots on a roof rail. well guess what? Honda corporate has agreed to ONLY repaint the parts they specify in the letter. so even though they agreed to paint the roof...and the hood and fenders...the roof rail which is BETWEEN those two things will not be painted.

totally different company, car, situation, etc., but just be prepared to battle. it might be helpful to get an estimate from a well respected body shop as well as their opinion as to what happened so you can use this as back up.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
is the tail light on the same side as the window and roof rail damage?

that looks like it was repainted and the tape line is down the middle of the window gasket?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:27 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
is the tail light on the same side as the window and roof rail damage?

that looks like it was repainted and the tape line is down the middle of the window gasket?
wait, this post just made me think of something.

port repairs can be a problem down the line. i don't know what M-B's policy is on port repair and related damage, like if they even do it.

also, i know 100% for a fact that there are unscrupulous transport guys out there who will damage a car by accident during transport and then have the thing repaired prior to delivery. again, maybe M-B uses their own trucks and stuff, i don't know. all of my experience is with other brands when it comes to this stuff.

i'd take paint measurements ASAP around that damage and on adjacent panels to see if there is any evidence of repaint.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:03 PM

C63
The one peice roof rail is replaced for free only if you are still under factory warranty. If not it is $200+ a side at the dealership.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:46 PM

C63, 335i
Ok OP the roof rails on our cars are made of terrible quality. If you park your car outside all day and don't protect the paint with a sealant and wax then it will degrade. You might be able to have the dealership replace the roof rails for you still if you are just out of warranty.

In regards to the paint on the body peeling, sometimes the car is damaged during shipping as others have said. Every paint shop is different and some take short cuts and don't do the proper preparations. But another aspect to think about is how have you cared for your paint? Do you wash the car after driving it in the rain and when it gets dirty? Is the car always waxed and protected and how often do you detail the car. All those factors affect how your paint will look and contaminants from regular usage of the car can eat away at the clear coat and damage your paint if you don't care for it.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Ram 2500 Limited 2013 Harley CVO Road Glide
Bought my '11 this past April, was the dealer principal's car, and it had a whopping 5,000 km's lol.
Anyways, after a few weeks of ownership and finally having the time to give it an absolute thorough cleaning, I noticed that 2 of the wheels had tiny pin *****s in the clear coat.
Well they weren't going to get better etc so I showed the area rep, and amazingly he said they would re-coat all 4 this fall before I put it away for the winter, even though both he and I could only find slight blemishes on two !!

About 2 weeks later I noticed the clear peeling off the same roof trim rails as op, wheeled it in, and they ordered warranty replacements on the spot. Also replacing this fall. My dealer at least has been good to work with.....
Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 PM

1.8T
i have a 02 vw gti and besides some scratches from everyday ... the clear cote doesn't peel off. i don't understand why mb wont put some high quality clear cote, why do i have to baby the **** out of it so it wont peel.

i am going to the dealer tomorrow ill let you guys know what they say
Old 09-03-2013, 02:09 PM

C63
Originally Posted by rigiuy5000
i have a 02 vw gti and besides some scratches from everyday ... the clear cote doesn't peel off. i don't understand why mb wont put some high quality clear cote, why do i have to baby the **** out of it so it wont peel.

i am going to the dealer tomorrow ill let you guys know what they say
you don't have to baby it...that's what is so weird. Cermiclear is pretty tough stuff. it's just that if you don't baby it, the manufacturer normally will look for any reason to blame you.

something is up with your deal though. i'd love to see more pics.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
The rail slots by the roof rack mounts on my car are also peeling on all 4 sides.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 285 Likes on 183 Posts
10 C six trizzle
these usually dont peel unless your using an orbital buffer and dont tape them off since they dont need waxed.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:20 AM

C63 amg
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
these usually dont peel unless your using an orbital buffer and dont tape them off since they dont need waxed.
I thought only a buffer can take off clear coat? An orbital is usually way to slow to cause damage.