C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

How can I remove these plugs? Front Wheel Well

Old 10-19-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63
How can I remove these plugs? Front Wheel Well

For some reason the plastic on my passenger side wheel well is under the rocker panel (see the pics of my driver and passenger wheel well, attached).

Gunk is getting stuck on the side with the wheel well showing. Can anyone help me on how to pull out those two black rubber clips and put the plastic on top - then reclip?

Are these clips one time use?
Attached Thumbnails How can I remove these plugs? Front Wheel Well-image-copy.jpg   How can I remove these plugs? Front Wheel Well-image.jpg  
Old 10-19-2013, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 335 Posts
2014 E63 AMGs, 2015 F-150 Lariat, 2010 Porsche C4S
Originally Posted by birdguy11
For some reason the plastic on my passenger side wheel well is under the rocker panel (see the pics of my driver and passenger wheel well, attached).

Gunk is getting stuck on the side with the wheel well showing. Can anyone help me on how to pull out those two black rubber clips and put the plastic on top - then reclip?

Are these clips one time use?
Use a small screwdriver and pop the center button out. Pull it lightly toward you and it will stop. This takes side pressure off the main body. Then pop the entire fastener body out. If done carefully, you can reuse the fastener.

Regards,

Joe
Old 10-19-2013, 08:39 PM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by Valvestud
Use a small screwdriver and pop the center button out. Pull it lightly toward you and it will stop. This takes side pressure off the main body. Then pop the entire fastener body out. If done carefully, you can reuse the fastener.

Regards,

Joe
Get a small flat head under the center head, then use a second one and try to use both so you are prying on each side equally. Once the center is out don't be afraid to yank a bit to get the wider one out. I was in there today to replace the fog housing.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 285 Likes on 183 Posts
10 C six trizzle
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/objec...4400/34387.JPG is the tool you want if your going to do it often so you dont damage them, but a flat head screw driver or even a pair of dykes wll work just fine.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
It's a standard push pin. Basically, the outer ring is the anchor and the middle pin expands the anchor to hold it in. Totally reusable unless you destroy the pin.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
^ This.
How come you managed to get that wheel well on the outside of the sideskirt? Looks like someone took it out and didn't put it back properly
Old 10-20-2013, 09:59 AM

c63
Alright - thanks guys, it worked!

However, when yanking on the rocker panel to get the black plastic piece in the wheel well from out under it, I saw a white clip that's almost at the end (closest to the wheel well). That clip was twisting...

I put everything back together but now it looks like the rocker panel end is not fastened. If I push it it moves in and out easily. Not sure if that white clip has anything to do with it, but do any of you guys know what I am missing here and how to make the panel "solid" again?

I hope that makes sense.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:39 AM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by birdguy11
Alright - thanks guys, it worked!

However, when yanking on the rocker panel to get the black plastic piece in the wheel well from out under it, I saw a white clip that's almost at the end (closest to the wheel well). That clip was twisting...

I put everything back together but now it looks like the rocker panel end is not fastened. If I push it it moves in and out easily. Not sure if that white clip has anything to do with it, but do any of you guys know what I am missing here and how to make the panel "solid" again?

I hope that makes sense.
I'm buying this to make this easier when I replace my fog bulbs:
Amazon.com: Lisle 35260 Plastic Fastener Remover: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 35260 Plastic Fastener Remover: Automotive

You might want to confirm what you did with a pic. People here are very helpful.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:09 AM

c63
Ok - here are pictures of the area I am talking about (the end of the rocker panel). It is now very loose.

When I pulled (hard) on the rocker panel, it looked like there was a white clip behind it. Is there something on the rocker panel that it clips into? Should I replace that white clip? (although not sure how I will even be able to get in there...)
Attached Thumbnails How can I remove these plugs? Front Wheel Well-photo-3.jpg   How can I remove these plugs? Front Wheel Well-photo-4.jpg