Brake HOLD feature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by markcwq
Brake Hold function only applies to facelifted W204 (2012 and up). The Adaptive Brake Function on the pre facelift model is a totally different system to the Brake Hold function on the facelifted car.
If you go back far enough to the W124s of the early '90s Adaptive Brake Assist was a feature that when the car sensed a panic stop it took over from the driver because most drivers are really whimpy when it comes to applying brake pressure in these situations and the system could apply pressure well beyond your capability.
I saved me from running up the *** of a huge dump truck that just stopped on a freeway with no warning in 1993.
They have since modified this to include the HOLD feature which is intended to prevent roll forward or back on hill starts.
I have no idea how one would diagnose it or reset it.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
If you go back far enough to the W124s of the early '90s Adaptive Brake Assist was a feature that when the car sensed a panic stop it took over from the driver because most drivers are really whimpy when it comes to applying brake pressure in these situations and the system could apply pressure well beyond your capability.
I saved me from running up the *** of a huge dump truck that just stopped on a freeway with no warning in 1993.
They have since modified this to include the HOLD feature which is intended to prevent roll forward or back on hill starts.
I have no idea how one would diagnose it or reset it.

I only traded my '94 W124 recently and it had the ASR (which worked excellent with the electromagnetic rear locking diff). I didn't have this feature and the brake booster which I replaced, didn't have anything out of the ordinary.
Maybe this was a feature that came in a package with the rear self leveling system which I think the E500 had.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vladds
I only traded my '94 W124 recently and it had the ASR (which worked excellent with the electromagnetic rear locking diff). I didn't have this feature and the brake booster which I replaced, didn't have anything out of the ordinary.
Maybe this was a feature that came in a package with the rear self leveling system which I think the E500 had.
You would be correct to correct me. It would be hard for it to have been on my W124 because upon checking I find it was not introduced until 1996 in the S before being expanded in application.
It was my W208 2001 CLK that had this feature. Apologies for the confusion.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
C63 AMG PPP Saloon
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
Haha, good thinking.

Try it at different times after you come to a stop...examples:

• Creep to a stop then apply hard pressure directly after stopping.
  • Start creeping to a stop and still while creeping some, apply hard pressure.
  • Come to a stop, wait to the count of 5 then apply hard pressure.
  • Come to a stop, wait to the count of 5 then creep the car forward some, then apply hard pressure.
If none of those work, you could always try disconnecting the battery and seeing if that will reset it. If nothing else, take it to the dealer and see if it is something that can be toggled on and off.
Tried to engage all sorts of ways the cars having none of it
Brake peddle feels a little spongeyer than usual
Left it a day or two and still the same bit annoying as it's useful and I'm used to using it now lol
Especially for blasting off the lights
May have to create a thread as maybe the title isn't getting the exposure I wanted
Old 08-31-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W204 AMG SEDAN
Originally Posted by Brunty88
Tried to engage all sorts of ways the cars having none of it
Brake peddle feels a little spongeyer than usual
Left it a day or two and still the same bit annoying as it's useful and I'm used to using it now lol
Especially for blasting off the lights
May have to create a thread as maybe the title isn't getting the exposure I wanted
very simple to solve this.

1)if your battery is full /good status, disconnect battery and reconnect it and you will be ok

2) if your battery is not in good condition, you need to replace battery
Old 09-01-2017, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Originally Posted by KOSMOS
very simple to solve this.

1)if your battery is full /good status, disconnect battery and reconnect it and you will be ok

2) if your battery is not in good condition, you need to replace battery

I can't provide a very detailed explanation, but I would be reluctant to disconnect the battery too much/often on these cars.

The C63 is the only one out of its contemporaries to not have the backup battery and for the cars that do have the backup battery, when the car is powered down, coincidentally some problems arise, codes and such.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250 2018
The brake hold feature is not always easy to activate

I have been reading this forum since I bought a Mercedes C250 AMG and was unable to engage the brake hold feature. I tried the suggestion of coming to a sudden and hard stop first and then stepping a second time on the brake pedal, but that was extemely unconfortable to the other passengers. I found a better way that does not need to come to a sudden and hard stop. When you step on the brake pedal you usually press the pedal in a forward motion with the heel of your foot resing on the floor. If the second time you step on the brake to activate the hold feature you do it in a downward motion with your foot in the air that immediately and easily activates the hold function without the need of a sudden and hard stop the first time.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:42 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
'13 C63 & AP2 S2000
C250 AMG. Wow, must be a unique model. What engine is in there?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
2014 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by gtracer
C250 AMG. Wow, must be a unique model. What engine is in there?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:44 PM

C250 2018
C250 AMG

Sorry to disappoint you but my c250 has the standard engine but it is called AMG-line because it comes with all the trimmings and accessories of the AMG cars produced by Mercedes inluding the chrome trim, the sport wheels, etc
Old 07-19-2018, 04:20 PM

2013 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Gersha
Sorry to disappoint you but my c250 has the standard engine but it is called AMG-line because it comes with all the trimmings and accessories of the AMG cars produced by Mercedes inluding the chrome trim, the sport wheels, etc
Whatever makes you feel like you have an AMG. lol i bet its fast too
Old 07-19-2018, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Man, lots of helpful folks here... Regardless of your feeling about everything rolling out of MB nowadays being an AMG, this thread isn't about that. The guy is just contributing his experience on the brake-hold feature, so just stick to the topic.

The guy didn't put additional badges on his new ride and thus is not a poser. MB did. The one that needs to be ridiculed is the MB company itself.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 C63 P31 coupe
Mine has "Held" before but I didn't know how I engaged it. Now I know and knowing is half the battle!