Sponsored by:

Is your "race-start" finicky?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ford svt's, and C63!!!
Is your "race-start" finicky?

I've read in the manual all the parameter that need to be met, but I sometimes have trouble getting it that mode, it just simply stops at "manual". Brake depressed, steering wheel straight ahead, doors closed, trans in "D", and so on, but it still fights me most of the time. Once it goes in and tells you to confirm ny hitting the upshift paddle everything has worked flawlessly?

I really, really, want to try this at the drag-strip, but aside from everything else that's going on, I've never tried. I guess I can just let the other lane go on the green, while I monkey with it and go at will, and I'll still get a time-slip?
Old 12-01-2013, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by skaarlaj
I've read in the manual all the parameter that need to be met, but I sometimes have trouble getting it that mode, it just simply stops at "manual". Brake depressed, steering wheel straight ahead, doors closed, trans in "D", and so on, but it still fights me most of the time. Once it goes in and tells you to confirm ny hitting the upshift paddle everything has worked flawlessly?

I really, really, want to try this at the drag-strip, but aside from everything else that's going on, I've never tried. I guess I can just let the other lane go on the green, while I monkey with it and go at will, and I'll still get a time-slip?
You really have to stand on the brake to get RS active.

So long as I do that, it works like a charm every time. I am now very proficient at engaging RS. Anxious to try it at the strip now.

Hope that little tidbit helped.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
I've never had an issue engaging it, but I can imagine how not being on the brakes enough could do it. I don't mash them but reasonable force is required. I still find it somewhat inconsistent in 60ft
Old 12-01-2013, 08:23 PM

ford svt's, and C63!!!
Originally Posted by zibby43

So long as I do that, it works like a charm every time. I am now very proficient at engaging RS. Anxious to try it at the strip now.

I'll certainly give it a try, thank you, I think it is a very effective launch, just fiddling with it to get it engaged has me paranoid about using it at the strip.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts
10 C six trizzle
all temps need to be at operating range - like trans and oil something to consider
Old 12-01-2013, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 C63 AMG (gone), 2014 GL450
Dealer told me that temps need to be above 175F. All passenger seatbelts must be fastened. Press brakes firmly. Hold on! This was actually the first thing he showed me for my delivery test drive.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 AM

ford svt's, and C63!!!
Yeah I never even feed much throttle to anything that isn't up to normal operating temperature. The guys from work think I'm a wussie as we race outa there at the end of the day, while I think to myself, Those vehicles will be burning oil soon, as they roar down off the hill at full throttle on a cold engine!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:19 PM

ford svt's, and C63!!!
Originally Posted by zibby43

It absolutely helped, more brake pedal pressure and "whammo" every time, thanks a bunch! That's what these forums are good for
Old 12-02-2013, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by skaarlaj
It absolutely helped, more brake pedal pressure and "whammo" every time, thanks a bunch! That's what these forums are good for
Glad to hear it my friend! Thanks for confirming that the advice was helpful.

As I said before, standing on the brake really helps you go through the RS initiation process much faster. The more I've practiced, the more confident I've become with respect to trying it at the strip.