C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Does anyone know how demonstrators work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250
Does anyone know how demonstrators work?

This one always had me scratching and ide figure ide finally ask.

Does anyone know how demonstrators work in the sense that

Break in period is about 2000 KM or like 1200 miles. However in Demos they need to let you rev the engine a bit and get a feel for everything. Do they just limit you on the test drive? What is to stop someone taking a spin and just red lining it during the break in period?

What happens if people just ignore the break in period does it damage the engine? Etc etc etc

Any one know?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
With demo cars, people are going to be doing whatever they pretty much want in them. The break in period gets thrown out the window and the car will be driven hard.

That being said, the whole idea of a break in period, especially on newer cars these days will be debated back and forth with no real definitive answer from either side. You'll get people who will follow the break in period to the T and you will get people who drive it like they stole it off the lot and the engine and cars will last just as long and in the same condition with both types.

Really, its more of a whatever you feel is best situation. I followed the break in period personally, but even then there would be once or twice when I would accidentally rev a bit to high (or downshift early causing a high rev). No problems yet!

EDIT: Also, apparently our AMG engines are tested around a track and broken in from the factory before we ever get them and mileage will still show zero even with that.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:53 PM

C250
See i thought break in periods would great thrown out the window would this be a good basis to get a discount on demonstrator models?

I personally am a big fan of break in periods, i even still fully charge my new electronics devices to prolong battery life (i know lithium ion no longer needs this but older batteries needed it!)

Anyone that has bought a demonstrator or does drive it like they stole it once they bought it, feel free to chime in!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Lol, these engines are broken in just fine by the time you take delivery. I beat the **** out of all my cars from day one and never have any problems. I took my CLK BS up to the top speed limiter the second day I owned it and had it at the drag strip with under 300 miles on it. I had My SLS dyno tuned an hour after I took delivery, one redline pull after another.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
just cain it there broken in at the factory
Old 01-23-2014, 09:43 PM

C250
Ooo thanks for the feedback there mate, i assume a salesman would say something similar to get past any discounting based on "break in period not upheld" on demos however good to hear these engines are made to last, especially since you are still running with the 2008 CLK

Great car collection by the way!! Living the dream =)
Old 01-24-2014, 12:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
I was always led to believe that a "demonstrator" was a car that the dealership had actually ordered (and paid for) from head office so that they might (1) have something to stick in the showroom and entice new purchasers and (2) have something available to satisfy the potential purchaser who does not want to wait 5-6 months for a new order to arrive. Ultimately their intention is to have a car which they could shift at the highest possible price and for this reason it would be well looked after/run in/kept clean and tidy etc. It was certainly not treated like an old beater lying around the yard ready to be ragged to within an inch of its life by a long line of test pilots.
The one to be wary of is the "ex head office car" or "owned by an executive in head office". I reckon this is code for the ex press car/AMG drive day car. I am not suggesting that these are necessarily bad buys (they have after all been well maintained/serviced and properly run in) but you would want the asking price to reflect an "ex track day car" rather than "one mature lady owner, car has never been raced to church" etc
Old 01-24-2014, 07:53 AM

e350,escalade,c63
i have always followed the break in period and never had a problem :-)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:03 AM

BMW
It's all very well thrashing the engine by revving it out....

But the key is to let the engine oil warm up to temp before you do so. That's the thing with demos. They often won't have had the chance for that to happen thereby causing premature wear.

As long as you let the oil temp (not reflected by coolant temp mind you!) come up then all is good.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:41 AM

e350,escalade,c63
Originally Posted by grizzly111
It's all very well thrashing the engine by revving it out....

But the key is to let the engine oil warm up to temp before you do so. That's the thing with demos. They often won't have had the chance for that to happen thereby causing premature wear.

As long as you let the oil temp (not reflected by coolant temp mind you!) come up then all is good.
True that
Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 AM

It varies.
Demonstrators usually come well equipped and sold on with low mileage and a good discount from new! The remaining warranty is there also, along with a large amount of
depreciation which will benefit the next buyer.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C63 Coupe
Demonstrators don't work, that's why they're demonstrating......clearly, too many cocktails over lunch.