Anyone see the '14 Camaro z28?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by zibby43
Are you equating innovation to satisfying a variety of needs/wants?

They're innovating because they're finding new ways to extract monster power from smaller displacement, forced induction motors. And they've come a long way from the earlier turbo motors that may have been unreliable or plagued by turbo lag.

Large displacement, normally aspirated motors have been around a long, long time.

And yeah, Ford and GM have a few NA options left. However, the vast majority of their cars are now FI.

No. I'm saying that Audi/BMW/Benz are all following the same recipe in terms of engine design. I'm questioning how innovative it is for three to all be doing the same thing. I'm also pointing out that there is a market and some US Auto makers are filling it nicely. I agree Ford has few big NA's left which is why I said "perhaps Ford".

Big NA motors have been around longer than turbo's, but there were innovations in this segment in the past decade from both sides of the atlantic; this doesn't look like the case for the next decade.

I've owned/enjoyed lots of turbo cars (335, CDI, 2.7T, TDI, Maserati 425) so I don't have anything against them, but variety is the spice of life. I've also owned some fuel effiecent cars too, but can't stomach the thought that some would like to force all of us to drive eco-centric cars all the time. Where are the folks demanding that everyone drive big NA beasts.

I wouldn't buy a Z28, but I can appreciate it for what it is, and I wouldn't knock someone who does. I also appreciate it for what it isn't - an SS or a Mercedes Benz.