C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Just bought a C63 AMG - One day later CEL came up. Help.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG Stock
Just bought a C63 AMG - One day later CEL came up. Help.

Hey guys,

I just got a 2009 C63 AMG with around 35K miles. The car seems to be in great condition. The car needs service A, but I knew that going into the deal, the seller agreed to pay for anything else that was discovered during service A that was beyond the usual amount for Service A ($350), and I trust the seller.

What was disappointing is that after 1 day of driving I got the Engine Malfunction yellow light on the dash. I retrieved the codes and they are: P0171, P0745 and P2091 (see attached screenshot).
The last 2 are not marked as "Current Fault" by the Torque Pro app, so I'm not sure what it means. Screenshot attached.

The seller gave me all service records for the car and I don't think he ever changed the intake manifold gasket, which is commonly associated with P0171.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm really loving the car, it's driving very well and I hope this is not a huge issue.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought a C63 AMG - One day later CEL came up. Help.-faulty-codes.png   Just bought a C63 AMG - One day later CEL came up. Help.-checkenginelight.jpg  

Last edited by sAMGih; 04-20-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by sAMGih
Hey guys,

I just got a 2009 C63 AMG with around 35K miles. The car seems to be in great condition. The car needs service A as well, but I knew that going into the deal, the seller agreed to pay for anything else that was discovered during service A that was beyond the usual amount for Service A ($350), and I trust the seller.

What was disappointing is that after 1 day of driving I got the Engine Malfunction yellow light on the dash. I retrieved the codes and they are: P0171, P0745 and P2091 (see attached screenshot).

The last 2 are not marked as "Current Fault" by the Torque Pro app, so I'm not sure what it means. Screenshot attached.

The seller gave me all service records for the car and I don't think he ever changed the intake manifold gasket, which is commonly associated with P0171.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm really loving the car, it's driving very well and I hope this is not a huge issue.

Thanks.
P0171 on this car is often the head bolt problem. See the sticky topics above.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Originally Posted by whoover
No its not. I have no issues with headbolt. I get this same code P0 171 when I remove the charcoals.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:28 PM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C63S AMG
I had this issue and they replaced the gas cap, but it ended up being a sensor on the engine. I can't remember which sensor it was though... No biggie if this is what it is.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:50 PM

2009 C63 AMG Stock
Originally Posted by whoover
Now that you mentioned this, I've read about the head bolt problem... Apparently it takes 3~4 weeks for a dealer to fix it and it costs something around $6K. I don't think this is related but oh man, what have I got myself into.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C63S AMG
Don't stress out about the headbolts. In my opinion it is a very rare occurrence but it has been blown out of proportion on the forums. The check engine light is typically emissions related so there are a lot of minor things that it could be... I've had my 09 for over two years now and it is by far the best car that I have owned!
Old 04-20-2014, 04:50 PM

C63 ///AMG P30
P0171 is a lean code. Worse case it's intake manifold leak. Easy fix. Or air box not secured properly or charcoal filters missing .
Old 04-20-2014, 06:49 PM

2009 C63 AMG Stock
Thanks, I will go for Service A and will have the engine warning checked.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Originally Posted by estrellajon
P0171 is a lean code. Worse case it's intake manifold leak. Easy fix. Or air box not secured properly or charcoal filters missing .
The intake manifold leaking is most likely the culprit. I had mine fixed while it was under warranty. Not sure how much it would be post-warranty.

Side note: I feel like leaky intake manifolds become more apparent (CEL codes pop up more frequently) with charcoal deletes and/or aftermarket filters. Since I had my gasket replaced, my high-flow filters never gave me a CEL, whereas before it will pop up every once in a while. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 04-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
it's not the intake manifold, i highly doubt it, CEL never even came on when I needed my intake manifold replaced, purge valve needed replaced - Again no CEL and it was stuck open, O2 sensors - again no CEL but needed replaced, and my car STILL runs lean bank 1&2, no one on this forum or at MB has a clue why, i even put my car back to 100% stock, CEL came on, so these cars can have a CEL come on for 0 reason infact, i've given up on trying to get rid of the lean code..screw it lol ..car runs fine anyways

moral of the story OP, never trust a computer, they lie sometimes

Last edited by avery.whss; 04-20-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Lean code means there is a leak PAST the MAF sensor.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by Merc63
Lean code means there is a leak PAST the MAF sensor.
not for me, brand new MAFs and airboxes, MB's checked all the hosing etc
Old 04-20-2014, 09:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 AMG FBO, 2014 E63 AMG S
Originally Posted by avery.whss
Did they check fuel trim numbers, or smoke test for leaks? As Merc said, p0171 is bank 1 system lean, which is unmetered air AFTER the mass air flow sensor.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
your case is unique

As for OP it is not the headbolt issue. Get it check when doing service A or diagnose it your self if you are a DYI person.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by abcut973
your case is unique

As for OP it is not the headbolt issue. Get it check when doing service A or diagnose it your self if you are a DYI person.
Hey, how would I start diagnosing the problem? I saw some videos on YouTube of someone spraying the engine to find leaks, and when a leaky spot was hit by the spray the engine would rev up. Would that be a good start?
What else could I do?

Thanks.

Last edited by gmurad; 04-21-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:38 AM

C63 ///AMG P30
Originally Posted by gmurad
Hey, how would I start diagnosing the problem? I saw some videos on YouTube of someone spraying the engine to find leaks, and when a leaky spot was hit by the spray the engine would rev up. Would that be a good start? What else could I do? Thanks.
Correct. Use a MAF or throttle body spray to identify leaks if any.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:01 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Hey guys,

According to the shop that I took the car to, the problem is either an intake gasket leaking or less likely it could need an entire new manifold.

The shop will first try fix the intake gasket leak ($423.44 including parts and service) and if that doesn't fix it she said it would need an entire new manifold.

Does this diagnostic seem sane? The original problem was a CEL (P0171 - System is running too lean).
Old 04-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Hey guys,

According to the shop that I took the car to, the problem is either an intake gasket leaking or less likely it could need an entire new manifold.

The shop will first try fix the intake gasket leak ($423.44 including parts and service) and if that doesn't fix it she said it would need an entire new manifold.

Does this diagnostic seem sane? The original problem was a CEL (P0171 - System is running too lean).
i replaced everything the MB techs told me to when I got that code (still have it) .. 6 months later here I am, still running lean, so screw it, car wants to run lean let it ..I've prob spent 7k (intake manifold, purge valve, A/F sensors) on trying to figure out the problem..all I'm saying is, don't be surprised if MB comes back saying they have no idea whats wrong after they replace everything that could cause it, because it happen to me..I'm guessing you're bone stock? I put mine back to bone stock and they still didn't know what was wrong,

To be honest I don't trust a CEL period, it's triggered by some retarded computer that sees 1 thing off and fires out the code, my intake manifold whistled like crazy and it never once flashed CEL but it flashes CEL over a lose gas cap? Lol..Gas cap is like $50, intake manifold is $5k here in canada

Last edited by avery.whss; 04-23-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Hey guys,

Those are two possible causes, but certainly not the only ones that could throw a "bank lean" code. It would be a good place to start though.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 P31 AMG
had that code and P2179. Intake manifold gasket replaced and now they are replacing upstream (driver side) o2 sensor because it wasnt reacting as fast as it should under normal cycle. Hopefully this will fix my issue.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Hey guys,

This one word in your plethora of explanations scares me when it comes to car knowledge. Sorry... Just sayin.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 285 Likes on 183 Posts
10 C six trizzle
i replaced everything the MB techs told me to when I got that code (still have it) .. 6 months later here I am, still running lean, so screw it, car wants to run lean let it ..I've prob spent 7k (intake manifold, purge valve, A/F sensors) on trying to figure out the problem..all I'm saying is, don't be surprised if MB comes back saying they have no idea whats wrong after they replace everything that could cause it, because it happen to me..I'm guessing you're bone stock? I put mine back to bone stock and they still didn't know what was wrong,

To be honest I don't trust a CEL period, it's triggered by some retarded computer that sees 1 thing off and fires out the code, my intake manifold whistled like crazy and it never once flashed CEL but it flashes CEL over a lose gas cap? Lol..Gas cap is like $50, intake manifold is $5k here in canada
they just gave up or what? stock tune?

not trusting CEL lol, come on man. You'll kill your cats, spark plugs, possibly the cylinder walls/rings - wash them down with extra fuel.

Saying a lean code has one official cause is very vague. Yes in most cases on the m156 it's intake gaskets. Lean codes occur whenever oxygen sensors - see the name OXYGEN - read too much oxygen. It has nothing to do with detecting the amount of fuel at all. The reading is strictly measuring oxygen content. If you have a misifre (poor ignition/burn) unburnt fuel and unburnt oxygen (sees too much oxygen) throws LEAN code. vacuum leak - extra oxygen that wasnt metered causing a bad mixture - throws lean code. It's much more complicated then ya'll think.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:21 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
they just gave up or what? stock tune?

not trusting CEL lol, come on man. You'll kill your cats, spark plugs, possibly the cylinder walls/rings - wash them down with extra fuel.

Saying a lean code has one official cause is very vague. Yes in most cases on the m156 it's intake gaskets. Lean codes occur whenever oxygen sensors - see the name OXYGEN - read too much oxygen. It has nothing to do with detecting the amount of fuel at all. The reading is strictly measuring oxygen content. If you have a misifre (poor ignition/burn) unburnt fuel and unburnt oxygen (sees too much oxygen) throws LEAN code. vacuum leak - extra oxygen that wasnt metered causing a bad mixture - throws lean code. It's much more complicated then ya'll think.
yeah TIPs canada was involved also and they have no clue, MBs checked the car out and it's fine actually, just for some reason it fires the code , they checked everything, replaced everything that could be replaced related to it, and still the same code comes up, I don't trust it because my intake manifold whistled like crazy and never once did CEL come on, but yet I leave the gas cap loose on acident and the car screams at me lol , same with the purge valve, no code or CEL and it was stuck open ..is it possible my ECU is whack? MB suggested replacing it as a last resort

Last edited by avery.whss; 04-23-2014 at 11:24 PM.