C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Car still pulling slightly right after alignment by dealer question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG 2009
Car still pulling slightly right after alignment by dealer question.

My 2009 with 27k mls recently had an alignment at the dealer because it was pulling right. Never had any problems, no collisions ever but I have to admit I live in Houston in town with some of the worst pothole littered roads in the world. Always drive very cautiously , slow down to crawl when needed to reduce impact, all the time to the point that I wonder what is the point of owning this fantastic piece of machinery unless you have a truck for day to day driving. I did have a torn up left front tire a few weeks ago on the freeway which actually did not blow but I had to stop and put the spare on which I drove again cautiously to the tire store where it was replaced. I replaced all tires, balanced etc but since that event the car has been pulling right. Dropped it off at the dealer who did an alignment which cost close to $400.00 which included a set of spacers specifically for the c63 which is necessary to get the car aligned properly, so I was told. Since I got the car back the car steers close to neutral but I still have to continue correcting to the left to keep going straight on the freeway. When I called the dealer they told me they are happy to take it back in but they also said that if they make an other adjustment the alignment may over correct which may cause it to start pulling slightly left.
Any suggestions ?
Thank you.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
In general, when a car is in spec it isn't uncommon for it to pull slightly to the right. The way you make it sound it is pretty near perfect to going straight. I bet it is within spec for the dealer and you definitely don't want it to pull slightly left.

Reason for the slight right and in spec is so you dont slowly guide yourself into oncoming traffic and end up slightly in the shoulder on the right instead if you ever have a lapse in paying attention. It's a safety thing.

As long as you aren't fighting the wheel to keep it in your lane you'll be fine.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 coupe P31
I struggled with this same issue. It was very irritating to me that every other car I've ever owned was able to track in one lane without departing in a reasonable amount of time/distance.
Dealer gave me the same run around of "safety" we'll I'd respectfully dispute that a car driving straight is safer than one that pulls in either direction.
Road crown will also be a factor in tracking as in any vehicle.
After 3 visits to the dealer, a new tire and two alignments it now tracks perfectly straight.

You should also monitor your TPMS sensors especially once warm to ensure you don't just have a low tire.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:25 AM

2008 C63
Mine pulls slightly right too on the freeway. It was the same before and after an alignment. Its fine while city driving.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Some tire designs are more sensitive to road crown camber than others. Did you change brands when you replaced your tires? What are they now?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2011 C63 P31 2015 BMW X5M Schwarz Einhorn w/Bootmod3
Originally Posted by DutchC63
My 2009 with 27k mls recently had an alignment at the dealer because it was pulling right. Never had any problems, no collisions ever but I have to admit I live in Houston in town with some of the worst pothole littered roads in the world. Always drive very cautiously , slow down to crawl when needed to reduce impact, all the time to the point that I wonder what is the point of owning this fantastic piece of machinery unless you have a truck for day to day driving. I did have a torn up left front tire a few weeks ago on the freeway which actually did not blow but I had to stop and put the spare on which I drove again cautiously to the tire store where it was replaced. I replaced all tires, balanced etc but since that event the car has been pulling right. Dropped it off at the dealer who did an alignment which cost close to $400.00 which included a set of spacers specifically for the c63 which is necessary to get the car aligned properly, so I was told. Since I got the car back the car steers close to neutral but I still have to continue correcting to the left to keep going straight on the freeway. When I called the dealer they told me they are happy to take it back in but they also said that if they make an other adjustment the alignment may over correct which may cause it to start pulling slightly left.
Any suggestions ?
Thank you.

Simple solution: Swap front tires and do a road test. Keep in mind some tires are directional and/or have outside stamped on them... I'm curious about what the outcome is. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
post up the alignment specs. specifically the front left and right camber and caster.
before and after would be great. also what tires are you running?
Old 05-06-2014, 12:25 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by DutchC63
Any suggestions ?
Thank you.

There is only front and rear Toe adjustment OEM!

Reason dealers/alignment shops cannot get it right to accurately resolve steering pull, premature edge tire wear, is that for the front only inaccurate, one position offset "crash bolts" are available for Camber and Caster adjustment.

K-MAC saw the need to "fix it right the first time" with front kits providing twice the adjustment capability and most importantly allowing "precise/fine tuned" adjustment.

These K-MAC patented design bushings at same time replace the four highest wearing, front end bushings. Their 2 axis/self aligning and with twice the load bearing area of OEM and there's no special tools required to fit.

So now for the first time precise/quick (single wrench - on car) full ongoing adjustment - for curb knock damage, altering height, load carrying or fitting wide profile tires. Allowing return to factory specs with improved tire wear, traction, high speed directional control, better steering and braking response.

Same with the K-MAC rear kits - providing precise Camber adjustment capacity and extra Toe to compensate for the new Camber facility.

With below advantages over the alternative rear "upper adjustable link arms with rigid spherical bearing rod ends".

1. The K-MAC patented design moves bottom of the tire inwards to resolve premature inner edge wear/improve traction. While "upper arms" move top of tire outwards reducing important tire to outer fender clearance.

2. K-MAC elastomer bushings for extended life - having proven themselves over the last 18 years. While anyone in the race industry would point out it is not long before rigid rod ends soon pound out allowing metal to metal contact.

What we are offering MB World Members USA/Canada for the month of May is freight cost of $25 FedEx air for one kit or $35 for front and rear kits. FedEx delivery time averages out at 3 days.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:59 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 C63S coupe '09 C63, '15 Durango RT, '14 Jeep SRT8
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
In general, when a car is in spec it isn't uncommon for it to pull slightly to the right. The way you make it sound it is pretty near perfect to going straight. I bet it is within spec for the dealer and you definitely don't want it to pull slightly left. Reason for the slight right and in spec is so you dont slowly guide yourself into oncoming traffic and end up slightly in the shoulder on the right instead if you ever have a lapse in paying attention. It's a safety thing. As long as you aren't fighting the wheel to keep it in your lane you'll be fine.
Mercedes tech told me thats completely false. He said they aren't aligned to pull in any direction. He told me that most cars in NYC can be aligned to pull to the left because most of our major roads and highways are slanted to the right for water drainage.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
Originally Posted by w204nyc
Mercedes tech told me thats completely false. He said they aren't aligned to pull in any direction. He told me that most cars in NYC can be aligned to pull to the left because most of our major roads and highways are slanted to the right for water drainage.

Im still waiting on the specs so i can tell him what it needs to drive better
Old 05-07-2014, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
A properly aligned car does not pull to either side - the "pull" you are experiencing is because of the crown of the road. If you were to drive the same car in England or Australia (or play chicken with oncoming traffic in the other lane in the US and other places where they drive on the right) it would pull to the left.

Having said that, I have seen many "factory" alignment specs on various cars that call for a slightly different toe on the fronts for this very reason.

Last edited by Diabolis; 05-07-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
toe has no affect on pulling, only steering wheel positon.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
toe has no affect on pulling, only steering wheel positon.
You're right. Good catch!

Some manufacturers - not MB though - user slightly uneven caster to achieve a gentle pull to one side.

When I think about it, tire pressure differences, uneven tire wear or a sticking brake caliper would be much more likely culprits if the car pulls to one side on a flat road.

Last edited by Diabolis; 05-08-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:28 PM

dreams
hey I see you're in Houston. I just got my car aligned (not at a dealership) and it tracks pretty straight. are you in the houston AMG owners FB group?
Old 05-10-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 C250
I had the same problem with 0 miles, and had hell with many dealers giving me the run around. I have a thread about it somewhere...what a nightmare.