C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Fair price for 2012 CPO?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Fair price for 2012 CPO?

Long time watcher here and am looking to join the c63 club soon. Found this 2012 CPO and wondered what everyone thought would be a fair price. 1 owner, 9900 miles, no p31, some options...

Also what things/issues should I be looking for on a used c63?

Many thanks and looking forward to joining the club!!!

http://www.mercedesbenzgreenway.com/used/2012/mercedes/c63-amg/2012-mercedes-c63-amg-silver-houston-for-sale-wddgf7hb1ca602504
Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jag F-Type V8
That actually looks like a pretty good C63 from what I can tell in the pictures. They are asking a little more than I would expect, but not by too much. If you could get that car down to around 54 / 55k I think it would be a good deal.

Also, I see that it is CPOed but you will want to check to see if they performed service A for you. Service A is due at 10k miles, so they may not have done it yet, but that is unlikely. Ask just in case.

You also should check to see if that car has a limited slip differential. See if the dealer can pull the build codes for you, or see if Valvestud (on here) can do it for you. LSD is code 471. In my opinion, these cars need a limited slip diff.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
In my opinion, this is a bad deal.

Before buying my 2011 last fall, I gathered ages, prices, miles and locations on 36 C63 over a few months. I then wrote an algorithm to generate a "wear & tear" number based on age and miles.

The best score recorded was 18.40. The worst score recorded was 14.78.

I put this one in my spreadsheet, and it scored a 15.27.

A price of $54k would put it at mid-pack for a Texas C63. A price of $50K would put the car at the best deal I've seen.

I'd say this car is at about a $5k premium, using my measurements of wear and tear. However, 2012's have a clutch instead of Torque converter and color gauges, and this one has two tone seats. If those are big pluses for you, go negotiate and see where they end up.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:49 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Thanks for the fast replies. I'm going to go take a look at it this afternoon. I'm thinking if everything checks our $54k ish is my target. Right now they are also offering 2 months of payments ($900), 2 years free maintenance, and 2.9% financing on CPO vehicles.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:40 PM

2011 C63 P31, 2012 ML350, 2007 335i E93
Originally Posted by gravfed
Thanks for the fast replies. I'm going to go take a look at it this afternoon. I'm thinking if everything checks our $54k ish is my target. Right now they are also offering 2 months of payments ($900), 2 years free maintenance, and 2.9% financing on CPO vehicles.

FWIW, I bought my 2011 C63 CPO during the Jan 2014 CPO sales event. It was a great deal, IMHO, the CPO process addressed many issues, got me new tires, windshield, and basically a B Service at 38K miles.

Then the deal was 1.9%, the up to $900 total towards the first two payments, actually it covered the first payment and partial on the second. The kicker was the PP maintenance. The dealer went back and forth with an AMG exclusion from this offer. They were finally "confident" that they could offer it. Come to find out, they were wrong. AMG models are excluded from the PP maintenance. The dealer had to give me a "we owe you two services" note at my insistance.

The best part of the CPO is extending the full factory warranty two years beyond its life with no mileage limit. They also tried to sell me two more years, no mileage limits, for $4500 more. I did not take them up on that, depending on the next two years I may rethink.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:04 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Thanks again for the help. Went and drove it--fantastic car in great shape would have loved to drive it home but we couldn't make it numbers work. They would only drop $1000 off to $57900. Just seemed a little steep to me for a 2.5 year old used car.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63 BS
Well if it makes you feel better, when I picked up my 2010 it was 2.5 years old, had 11k miles, one owner, CPO'd and I got it for $50k OTD.

$57900 is a little steep for that car, and I too had been looking at it as I am thinking of trading up.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:56 PM

Jag F-Type V8
Originally Posted by gravfed
Thanks again for the help. Went and drove it--fantastic car in great shape would have loved to drive it home but we couldn't make it numbers work. They would only drop $1000 off to $57900. Just seemed a little steep to me for a 2.5 year old used car.
I promise that car will sit on their lot for a month at that price. Head back over there near the end of the month and offer them $53k and you'll prob walk out with it for around 54k
Old 06-02-2014, 08:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
Personally, I would offer 54k for it. The price is high. I just bought an '11 (engine serial number after head bolt redesign but before the facelift) for 49k in pristine condition. I spent 6 months searching and passed up a few that weren't right for one reason or another.

It all depends on whether it is worth it to you. If it checks all the boxes in your mind (color, condition, mileage, warranty, financing) then be more aggressive if they say no to your offer. It's hard to walk away when the weather is perfect and it's right in front of you. Not like a Honda Civic....dime a dozen.

I had a hell of a time trying to keep a poker face while negotiating. The drool and constant grin gave me away.

Go get it!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:03 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by -Marlin-
Personally, I would offer 54k for it. The price is high. I just bought an '11 (engine serial number after head bolt redesign but before the facelift) for 49k in pristine condition. I spent 6 months searching and passed up a few that weren't right for one reason or another.

That's pretty much what I did. I told myself I wouldn't go for a dime more than $55k under any circumstance. Started at 53, then 54. Decided to throw $55k out there and they still wouldn't bite, so I thanked them for their time and walked. Car was pretty much new (minus some wear on the drivers seat). It doesn't have the LSD either, so I was pretty hesitant to even go $55, but man what a machine anyway--the hunt continues!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Was just working a deal on a used 507. Most that I was able to get off was about $1.5k. They don't seem to budge much on the price. But I've noticed the 507s have been moving really quick, some with turn around times within a week, even saw one sold within 2 days of dealer receiving the used car. I've been watching closely and contacting a bunch of different dealers. People seem to be paying asking price pretty much for used ones.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:32 AM

Jag F-Type V8
Originally Posted by LakeShow23
Was just working a deal on a used 507. Most that I was able to get off was about $1.5k. They don't seem to budge much on the price. But I've noticed the 507s have been moving really quick, some with turn around times within a week, even saw one sold within 2 days of dealer receiving the used car. I've been watching closely and contacting a bunch of different dealers. People seem to be paying asking price pretty much for used ones.
My experience, at least in Florida, when I was shopping for my car was that over priced cars were sitting for more than a month on dealer lots. They were dropping prices by a grand almost every week on them universally. OP, give it time!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:33 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Well found another today that I'm interested in. 2012, 7800 miles, coupe, very similiar options, but it has the dev package and the LSD. What do those options add to the bottom line? Would $60k be out of line with P31 and LSD? CPO warranty runs through 04/17.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2014, 04:36 PM

2013 P31 C63, 2012 C63 (RIP)
I think that first car you posted is priced way high. For comparison, I purchased my 2012 CPO 5 months ago for $51k. 19k miles, no performance pack but LSD, COMAND, and Lighting options, and included a set of winter wheels. This car has lower miles, 2-tone and lane tracking/parking assist but that does not justify the price.

IMO $60k for the second car would be a little high as well. I think the performance package is maybe a $6-7k option so I would aim for around $56k?

I bought just before the end of the year so there were no CPO sales event bonuses for me - not sure if that is factoring into your ability to negotiate with the 'freebies' tossed in.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55
Originally Posted by Spearsba
FWIW, I bought my 2011 C63 CPO during the Jan 2014 CPO sales event. It was a great deal, IMHO, the CPO process addressed many issues, got me new tires, windshield, and basically a B Service at 38K miles.

Then the deal was 1.9%, the up to $900 total towards the first two payments, actually it covered the first payment and partial on the second. The kicker was the PP maintenance. The dealer went back and forth with an AMG exclusion from this offer. They were finally "confident" that they could offer it. Come to find out, they were wrong. AMG models are excluded from the PP maintenance. The dealer had to give me a "we owe you two services" note at my insistance.

The best part of the CPO is extending the full factory warranty two years beyond its life with no mileage limit. They also tried to sell me two more years, no mileage limits, for $4500 more. I did not take them up on that, depending on the next two years I may rethink.

You picked a great time to get that car. That sale event as awesome! Remember, CPO warranty is not the same as the full factory (they exclude things like batteries, light bulbs, shocks/struts). If you're looking to extend the warranty, I know someone who could take good care of you!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:31 PM

2011 C63 P31, 2012 ML350, 2007 335i E93
Originally Posted by jjj benz
You picked a great time to get that car. That sale event as awesome! Remember, CPO warranty is not the same as the full factory (they exclude things like batteries, light bulbs, shocks/struts). If you're looking to extend the warranty, I know someone who could take good care of you!
Thanks, the warranty just saved me a bundle. Had an engine tick, three weeks later I now have an engine with all wear parts replaced. I appreciate the info in who to use to extend the warranty.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
Fwiw

2011 seems to be the sweet spot and here's why I think that. Look up the engine serial number. If it is after the head bolt change and before the face lift, IMHO, you get the best deal if the car has less than 36k miles and is CPO.

You end up with a great car for a reasonable price in the ball park of 44k- 52k.

Just food for thought. I spent a year looking and I mean looking, as if it were homework and a second job. I offered a price that they couldn't say no to and drove away with a solid warranty and piece of mind that I wouldn't have the dreaded head bolt problem down the line.

With that said, I'm sorry they didn't take your offer. Don't be surprised if they call you after the weekend when the car doesn't sell. I've played that game along the way too.