Can you PLEASE help me decide - but DON'T BASH ME

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Can you PLEASE help me decide - but DON'T BASH ME

Hello guys,

Please help me decide on my next move. Before anyone decidesto tell me to use the research button, I’m here to tell you that I did, overand over and I even research YouTube.

A little background, used to own a 2008 E63 which sufferedwhat Benz call an engine failure due to the lifters. They got me out of that vehicle and I havenot been with MB until recently – a super clean one-owner 2009 C63 AMG; I couldn’tpass up the deal.
Here is what I’m trying to do: I want to get a little more oomph from the exhaustsounding department. I love the way it sounds now (the exhaust is currently totallystock), but I think it needs a little more boom…just a little more.

I’ve seen videos of many guys with secondary cats & Resodelete. I did find a couple of videos illustratingsecondary cats delete only and a lot more with Reso delete only…but most videoshave both secondary cats and resonator deleted. My thing is, I do not want to lose the classic signature deep sound ofthe car, many of the videos I found seemed to have lost that deep sound andbecome raspy, almost like the old (’98 –’00) LS1 Camaro. Honestly, in terms of sound, I much preferthe older (’93-’97) LT1 Camaro exhaust sound – they were deep and non raspy.

Please tell me, which approach will net me the BEST NON-DRONINGDEEP SOUND: second cats delete and replace with X-pipe OR Resonator delete and replacewith X-pipe. I’m doing one or the other;I am not planning on doing both, and I am not planning on buying headers. And, I'm not looking for crazy loud, just a little more juice from the exhaust, that's all.

Thank you in advance for your help

HardC63
Old 06-12-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Barolo red C63 AMG (SOLD).13' P31 c63 coupe 2012 porsche panamera
Originally Posted by HardC63
Hello guys,

Please help me decide on my next move. Before anyone decidesto tell me to use the research button, I’m here to tell you that I did, overand over and I even research YouTube.

A little background, used to own a 2008 E63 which sufferedwhat Benz call an engine failure due to the lifters. They got me out of that vehicle and I havenot been with MB until recently – a super clean one-owner 2009 C63 AMG; I couldn’tpass up the deal.
Here is what I’m trying to do: I want to get a little more oomph from the exhaustsounding department. I love the way it sounds now (the exhaust is currently totallystock), but I think it needs a little more boom…just a little more.

I’ve seen videos of many guys with secondary cats & Resodelete. I did find a couple of videos illustratingsecondary cats delete only and a lot more with Reso delete only…but most videoshave both secondary cats and resonator deleted. My thing is, I do not want to lose the classic signature deep sound ofthe car, many of the videos I found seemed to have lost that deep sound andbecome raspy, almost like the old (’98 –’00) LS1 Camaro. Honestly, in terms of sound, I much preferthe older (’93-’97) LT1 Camaro exhaust sound – they were deep and non raspy.

Please tell me, which approach will net me the BEST NON-DRONINGDEEP SOUND: second cats delete and replace with X-pipe OR Resonator delete and replacewith X-pipe. I’m doing one or the other;I am not planning on doing both, and I am not planning on buying headers. And, I'm not looking for crazy loud, just a little more juice from the exhaust, that's all.

Thank you in advance for your help

HardC63
Secondary cat delete with straight pipes. Closest to stock as you'll get. Resonator delete changes the bark much more.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:09 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MaroonC63
Secondary cat delete with straight pipes. Closest to stock as you'll get. Resonator delete changes the bark much more.
Cool, thank you for your input.

So - NO X-pipe in place of the Secondary Cats?

Straight pipes is certainly cheaper to do.

Thanks,
HardC63
Old 06-12-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Xpipe will kill the amg bark. If you delete your resonator and replace with straights, it will sound unrefined and kinda like s**t. If you want more sound. Delete the sec with straights
Old 06-12-2014, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
4 words MIKE's POWER PIPE ! lol

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...uy-thread.html
Old 06-12-2014, 03:48 PM

2012 C63
I put a H Pipe to replace my 2ndary cats and a straight pipe for my resonator. Dont worry it still kept the original bark. Best decision I've ever made, Mikes power pipe does wonders.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:01 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by E=mC63
I put a H Pipe to replace my 2ndary cats and a straight pipe for my resonator. Dont worry it still kept the original bark. Best decision I've ever made, Mikes power pipe does wonders.
Hmmmm...are you sure sir?

I've seen and heard some C63's with deleted resonators and they sounded meaner...yes, but very raspy. I can't tell you if those were straight pipe or X-pipes in place of the resonator.

Thanks,
HardC63
Old 06-12-2014, 04:03 PM

your mom
Is there a diagram pointing to location of secondaries and the resonator ?
Old 06-12-2014, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E92 335i / C63 AMG / GSX-R 600
remove the secondary cats, install straight pipes. leave resonator stock. sound is pure amg, but louder and deeper. also no increased cabin noise until you push it
Old 06-12-2014, 04:17 PM

'09 C63, '06 Evo 9 RS
- X'ing the 2nd cats make it sound smoother and more refined (kills AMG bark)

- straight piping the resonator makes it sound really raspy (because it actually has a small H built in) and unrefined.

My vote is to straight pipe the 2nd cats. Same tone as stock but more volume.

P.S fold the seats down once you delete the 2nd cats. Sounds perfect.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:53 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by fightex
- X'ing the 2nd cats make it sound smoother and more refined (kills AMG bark)

- straight piping the resonator makes it sound really raspy (because it actually has a small H built in) and unrefined.

My vote is to straight pipe the 2nd cats. Same tone as stock but more volume.

P.S fold the seats down once you delete the 2nd cats. Sounds perfect.

Cool!

Second cats delete with straight pipes it is.

Thanks for the tips on the rear seats fold down.

HardC63
Old 06-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Mike's pipe if you want to keep a non obnoxious, authentic AMG sound. Forget about the rest.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Flip down your back seats haha. Best exhaust mod ever.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:39 PM

C63 P31
Kinda confused where these opinions are coming from? I have a straight pipe resonator delete and I do not hear any of these claims. The sound is certainly more raw then stock, but the sound is essentially the same but louder, still has the amg bark and thump. Seems like people are just getting these opinions from nowhere
Old 06-12-2014, 10:38 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CMC-63
Kinda confused where these opinions are coming from? I have a straight pipe resonator delete and I do not hear any of these claims. The sound is certainly more raw then stock, but the sound is essentially the same but louder, still has the amg bark and thump. Seems like people are just getting these opinions from nowhere

HMMMM....

I wish someone could post an Idle & Rev clip(s) of these vehicles next to each other as the following:

C63 - stock
C63 - secondary delete only (H-pipe)
C63 - resonator delete only (straight and/or X-pipe)

I know this would be hard to pull off, but only if...
Old 06-13-2014, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
you need the akropovic exhaust, yea its expensive but if you dont want the rasp you've got to pay. Improving any sort of flow and not changing the stock mufflers thats what you'll get is rasp. and rasp sounds like ***.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:15 AM

2014 C63 507 Sedan
OP, I was after the same thing.

I installed Mike's power pipe (straight pipe variety - replaces only secondary cats, leaves stock resonators) and am happy with the result. It still behaves when you need it to, but gets an extra loud, deep AMG sound when you press it. I reviewed on the main thread.

I suggest starting with this relatively-inexpensive mod. If you want more, then maybe mod your resonators too.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:43 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by BigBadLarry
OP, I was after the same thing.

I installed Mike's power pipe (straight pipe variety - replaces only secondary cats, leaves stock resonators) and am happy with the result. It still behaves when you need it to, but gets an extra loud, deep AMG sound when you press it. I reviewed on the main thread.

I suggest starting with this relatively-inexpensive mod. If you want more, then maybe mod your resonators too.
Thanks Larry - got it, will do
Old 06-13-2014, 10:29 AM

dreams
from personal experience, res delete got the car LOUD, but it was too raspy at the top end, meaning it had this raw snap/fart sound.

I then got the eisenmann race exhaust - which drones like a B, but found that it is very livable for daily driving, and that the drone can be avoided using the paddle shifters. 65-78 mph, use 6th gear. 78 and beyond, 7th is ok. ultimately tho, it retains the amg bark and thump, but in a louder, deeper fashion.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:19 AM

2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by CMC-63
This. My car has the original AMG bark just louder.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by OlegKouz
This. My car has the original AMG bark just louder.
Same here, I think people get resonator and 2nd cats mixed around a lot.
All a resonator does is muffles sound. If anything, the removal of the resonator just amplifies the sound.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:36 AM

C63 P31
Originally Posted by sytfu_colan
All a resonator does is muffles sound. If anything, the removal of the resonator just amplifies the sound.
Originally Posted by sytfu_colan
Yes, and for those who don't like the more raspy sound from the resonator delete should just go for the h-pipe replacement instead of the straight pipe. The resonator is essentially a sound muffler with a small h-pipe built in. Mind you that once you do a straight pipe delete, you can go back to the shop and pay a little extra to get an h-pipe put in if it really does bother you a lot.

OP, tonnes of people have resonator deletes, cat deletes, exhaust systems, etc, and I have yet to hear a single member unsatisfied with their decision. My resonator delete only cost me $150, so keep that in mind (there are also more expensive options, but IMHO I don't really think there's a noticeable difference).

The car will sound different regardless of what you delete, but I guarantee you OP that you would never look back. The amount of backfires and the sound of going over 4k sends the giggle meter through the roof. No video will do it justice
Old 06-15-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
You need to have some kinda balance between the exhaust. You can't have the secondary cat delete straight piped and the resonator straight piped at the same time. It will sound stupid loud and on top kill your bottom end torque. The smartest thing to do is delete the secondary cats with a straight pipe. See how you like that. If you want more them go from there.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:10 PM

your mom
Originally Posted by rage2
Flip down your back seats haha. Best exhaust mod ever.
I think I am gonna do this on way back home...
Old 06-16-2014, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Excellent idea....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can you PLEASE help me decide - but DON'T BASH ME