C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2015 Corvette Z06 will now officially make 650HP/650lb/ft torque, article:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Exclamation 2015 Corvette Z06 will now officially make 650HP/650lb/ft torque, article:

Would any of you guys ever actually consider going for the new Z06 over an AMG? With its super fast 8 speed transmission, carbon brakes, and that much power it should be unbelievably fast....and then there will be an even hotter "Z07" package and then an even faster still Z06X or Z07X package car after that. Then a year later the all new ZR-1 will come out that will beat all of these, and then after that either a ZR-1X or ZR-1 "Zora" edition super beast car. This one is rumoured to be obviously named after the Russian man who created the Corvette, Zora Arkus Duntov.

So this is the Breakdown then unless someone else here has other information, of what the full Corvette line-up should look like over the next 3 years:

Stingray: 465 Horsepower
Z06 Base car: 650 HP/650 lb/ft of torque
Z07: rumoured to put out 675 or 680 HP
Z07X: maybe 700 to 710 HP
ZR-1 base car: 800 to 850 HP/torque
ZR-1X: 850 to 880+ HP
Zora: 880 or 900+ HP?

So far unfortunately the only factory official and confirmed numbers go up only to the base Z06 car, so the others are just rumours...but so far all of the rumours up until now have been almost all correct and relatively accurate, so there's no reason to believe the higher up models will be far off these numbers....

We are truly blessed and so lucky to live in this golden age of extremely amazing cars....

Last edited by SL65amg; 06-13-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Impressive but just not for me at this point.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:24 PM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by SL65amg
Would any of you guys ever actually consider going for the new Z06 over an AMG?
Well, the short answer is yes, especially if the consideration is apples-to-apples...........and assuming I live in the "apples" neighborhood. (Read: Can afford a new, mid 6 figure AMG)

Here's how, because if I'm in the right ballpark on Z06 pricing - let's say $70 to 80K, it appears win-win.

Thinking an SL63 AMG will run us $150-160K, so I scoop up the Z06 @ a bargain price. Then I drive it to my local MB dealership and use the balance to score something that'll run me the remaining 70 or 80K, adding a bit more cash if needed.

A new C63 or CPO E63, CLS63.........you name it.

Make sense?
Old 06-12-2014, 04:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S
Yes, but not for the next 12 years...need to get promoted at work a few times before I can afford to have a 2 door sports car, the wife's car, and another family transporter.

If I remember from the auto mags reviews over the past couple years, the Z06 can get over 100-110K. For that price I'd rather get the E63.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
No. It has lots of power, but it also has all the quality of a garbage bin.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Originally Posted by JumpinJim
Obviously from someone who hasn't had any firsthand experience with the C7 Corvette. They have come a long way, and the new Z06 will be unbelievable. I'm definitely in when they hit year 2 of production and work out the bugs with the new motor.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by JumpinJim

Wow, really? C’mon…the quality is not that bad.

Remember, not long ago Mercedes was looked as having some quality issues,Yes, they have cleaned up their act (and still are), and they needed to becausethe rap was getting bad...fast!

Yes, all automakers have quality issues, but to me, considering their annualproduction volume, it is impressive how GM keeps pumping out thousands andthousands of vehicles each year at competitive pricing vs. the competition whilekeeping many of the quality crap and recalls issues to a minimum.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not by any means giving GM a pass, but they havecome up a long way from 10 or even 5yrs ago.

As for the new Z06, if all the numbers on paper materializes in the realworld, then that new Z06 is going to be amazing! Heck, if all goes well, I may,just may bite the bullet and get one, but only after all the price gauging/hypedies down. I am a car guy, I do not fallin love with a brand and only buy that brand and ignore everything else. Shoot, if Kia made a nice sports car thatlooks good and fast and priced well, I’ll go for it...it doesn’t have to sayMercedes for me to buy it.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 PM

SL63
Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Obviously from someone who hasn't had any firsthand experience with the C7 Corvette. They have come a long way, and the new Z06 will be unbelievable. I'm definitely in when they hit year 2 of production and work out the bugs with the new motor.

Ha, I've been around a few C7s. They're somewhat better, but so is every other car. Considering where it came from, saying they've came a long way is like saying limburger cheese smells a long way from roadkill. If you get up close they're still made of very low grade materials and the fit and finish is poor. They still look like they were made by mattel. Just look at the pics up close and the cheap shiny plastic stands out like a sore thumb. It looks exactly like the same stuff my garbage bin is made out of.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
as always the corvette is a paper and numbers car. In the real world with a "average" driver results will vary, and by vary i mean the car will not perform anywhere near advertised on a track without a professional driver. How can they name an American "super" car after some russian? wtf is that about. On the flip side. I really do like corvettes but more of the hard core ones. You know before they came with cupholders.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:40 AM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
No Way!!!!

I used to be a "Corvette Guy" until we bought our first Mercedes in 2009 (2006 SLK55 AMG). I have owned 3 Corvettes and when we purchased the SLK55 I owned a 2007 C6 Z06 with 505 HP. The more I drove the SLK55 the less I liked the Corvette and eventually I came to hate it and sold it!

Corvettes look good from a distance and are very fast but that is about it. The driving experience is nothing compared to an AMG and the build quality of the Corvettes is total crap I do all of my own maintenance and became very familiar with the way Chevy builds their cars and the same engineering philosophy that was used for the Chevy Cobalt was used to build the Corvette and it will never change.

Personally, I will never own another Corvette and now am an avid Mercedes fan

No disrespect to anyone that likes Corvettes but that is my personal opinion, just felt that I had to share
Old 06-13-2014, 08:01 AM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by JRHolt
No Way!!!!

I used to be a "Corvette Guy" until we bought our first Mercedes in 2009 (2006 SLK55 AMG). I have owned 3 Corvettes and when we purchased the SLK55 I owned a 2007 C6 Z06 with 505 HP. The more I drove the SLK55 the less I liked the Corvette and eventually I came to hate it and sold it!

Corvettes look good from a distance and are very fast but that is about it. The driving experience is nothing compared to an AMG and the build quality of the Corvettes is total crap I do all of my own maintenance and became very familiar with the way Chevy builds their cars and the same engineering philosophy that was used for the Chevy Cobalt was used to build the Corvette and it will never change.

Personally, I will never own another Corvette and now am an avid Mercedes fan

No disrespect to anyone that likes Corvettes but that is my personal opinion, just felt that I had to share
I ain't mad at you, JR.

'Preciate the warning, as Chevy may want us all to assume past poor build quality issues are just that - history, but only time will tell.

I mean, the same engineering philosophy that was used for the Chevy Cobalt?? Yikes!

Oh, why not add to your warning? How about that recent ignition switch recall, hidden by GM for years - and broken down in the current Car & Driver. Apparently the steering & brake assist disappears when the ignition switch goes to off or is not in the on position? (Something like that; can't remember if it's one or the other ignition positions...........or both. Whatever; dangerous either way.)

And while you can still steer & brake, the effort required is tremendously increased............when all the while you only have a mere 2-3 seconds to perform 10 second emergency task.

With the wife & kids in the car, no less. At 70 mph on your local interstate.

So you (GM) and your poopy UAW workers, would you kindly cancel my Vette order, please? With the 160K I found under my couch cushions, think I'll buy two AMGs now, thank you very much.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:36 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
'18 Audi A4
The numbers are in, quality is better. But to talk about what the post is about, the numbers. 650/650. at 1300 rpms you already have 500tq going to the wheels and at 1800-1900 you get 97% of the engine's TQ. Serious numbers and plenty of tires will be shed. I wonder what tires they will go with, I have not seen an official release on which tires the Z06 will use.

The Z07 designation is strictly a performance package option in the GM/chevy lingo. Won't be an actual car model designation, all those are already known. I do agree that quality has plagued vettes ever since I've been around them, but when people ask me, this is usually what I say to that. "plenty of great euros out there, one thing they are great about are the details, small things, attention to detail for sure. They are killing the US market on interior refiment and arguably, car design. But when I press the gas pedal on that naturally aspirated V8, I smile ear to ear and I forget about those small things." That's why I got the car, I already knew about the interior isuues and so forth. The LS based engines are also some of the most durable and mod friendly applications around.

You get the same feeling with the C63, big block V8 as well, good sound and meaness to it. A little dissapointed in the smaller, bi-turbo direction, but everyone is doing it, to include the heressy of a non-N/A Z06 in today's age.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:49 AM

'18 Audi A4
As far as price goes, I would say it will fall between the $79k~84k range starting price, simply because the Camaro Z28 is priced at $75k starting and it only has 1 option worth I think $1,250 for the A/C and the extra speakers. Once you add a trim level or two and the Z07 package, taxes and so forth will definitely put you above the 6 digit range.

Think about the time we are in now that we, as consumers, have so many choices now when it comes to powerful cars to choose from. Great time indeed!!
Old 06-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
EVO and sportauto have rated the C7 interior highly
Imo it's as good as the C63 re:materials and fit/finish
Design is lagging but not by much

As far as value vs performance it is hard to beat

The 'russian guy' designed/created the vette
Just like AMG are 'german guys'
Don't hate just because american's are car stupid lol
Old 06-13-2014, 10:25 AM

'18 Audi A4
And here I thought AMG stood for American Muscle Group

Just joking guys.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Banned

C63 AMG
The cobalt owners manual (as do most) tell you not to hang crap on the key
Americans are terrible drivers
Schooling is done by the HS gym teacher
They text
They have no idea how a car functions
No idea how far you travel in 1 sec at 60 mph in feet
Braking distance
2 second rule
Morons behind the wheel

13 possible deaths out of 10's of millions of cars and billions of person/ miles

You should be tested before you can buy a car of this caliber

Last edited by Ingenieur; 06-13-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
Sign me up for one!!! I love this.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by BK63amg
Sign me up for one!!! I love this.
+1 I love this car! This car is definitely on my list for next cars.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:48 AM

2014 Mercedes C63
While I am a certainly a newbie here and just recently purchased a 2014 C63 for my girlfriend, and will have limited input on late model MB, I do have an interesting perspective historically between MB and Corvettes and each of their transformations over the past 2 or 3 decades. As a point of reference I began driving in 1985. Prior to that, growing up my family owned a variety of MB cars ranging from 380SLs to 560SLs to 500SLs to several S class sedans. They also purchased a Corvette in 1984 and again in 1987. Although technically my first car was a crappy old used Camaro (speaking of Camaros, I see where GM has recalled ALL Camaros built since 2010), I ultimately inherited the 84 Corvette. Counting that one, I have owned 7 Corvettes including a recent Z06.

With that as the backdrop, I can say that each company has made tremendous progress in terms of both build quality and performance. As someone said earlier in this thread even compared to 5 years ago, the build quality has improved substantially. I am a Corvette lover but wouldn’t classify myself as a Corvette fanatic either. I have driven each of my Corvettes hard and I had major problems with a couple of them while others were completely problem free. I had one that I drove hard for 147,000 miles before it finally gave out! Given my prior experience with Corvettes I would certainly consider buying another one again at some point. Oddly enough we ended up with the C63 because we went to test drive a C7 Corvette one Saturday afternoon recently and the dealership refused to let us test drive it on the basis they were in such high demand and we ended up at the Mercedes dealership the same day and made a deal on the C63. So far, I couldn’t be more impressed with the C63. It is everything I had hoped it would be and more.

So all that to say, I think it boils down to personal preference and the fact is that you really can’t go wrong with either car. The diehard Corvette guys will always be just that and vice versa with the diehard MB guys. I am personally in the same camp as HardC63 which is to say I am a car guy and don’t necessary fall in love with any particular brand and ignore everything else. However, I do kind of find myself falling in love with this C63 and find myself scheming on how I could trade my current daily driver (a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8) for a new E63!
Old 06-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
You bought your girlfriend a 2014 C63?
Why
Old 06-13-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
The cobalt owners manual (as do most) tell you not to hang crap on the key
Americans are terrible drivers
Schooling is done by the HS gym teacher
They text
They have no idea how a car functions
No idea how far you travel in 1 sec at 60 mph in feet
Braking distance
2 second rule
Morons behind the wheel

13 possible deaths out of 10's of millions of cars and billions of person/ miles

You should be tested before you can buy a car of this caliber

Dude I really hope you live outside the US...You are a whiny *** hater. I appreciate living in the US every day regardless of our fallacies in government, drivers training, road conditions, etc... I drive my Corvette, Chevelle, Nova, Mustang, Porsche, 62 T-bird, GMC truck or Mercedes with confidence and pleasure, sure you always have to watch out for the other inattentive drivers (and arrogant *******s that think they can drive better than everyone else) but so what. I'd rather drive right here in the good old USA and than any other country period. That Corvette is awesome, very nice car keep up the good work GM!
Old 06-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Talking

Originally Posted by JRSJR65
Dude I really hope you live outside the US...You are a whiny *** hater. I appreciate living in the US every day regardless of our fallacies in government, drivers training, road conditions, etc... I drive my Corvette, Chevelle, Nova, Mustang, Porsche, 62 T-bird, GMC truck or Mercedes with confidence and pleasure, sure you always have to watch out for the other inattentive drivers (and arrogant *******s that think they can drive better than everyone else) but so what. I'd rather drive right here in the good old USA and than any other country period. That Corvette is awesome, very nice car keep up the good work GM!
You must live in the US
an entilted ignorant moron who thinks the world bends to your will
I was talkng about drivers not the Country
It is fact, not 'hating'
But you are slow on the uptake
It is you who went off 1/2 cocked and is whining

I backed up my patriotism with a uniform and a weapon and 4 years of my life
You apparently use your mouth sonny
You can still love America and note her faults
It's the only way to improve Her
Remove your head from your *** you flag waving paper patriot

Last edited by Ingenieur; 06-13-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
You must live in the US
an entilted ignorant moron who thinks the world bends to your will
I was talkng about drivers not the Country
It is fact, not 'hating'
But you are slow on the uptake
It is you who went off 1/2 cocked and is whining

I backed up my patriotism with a uniform and a weapon
You apparently use your mouth sonny
You can still love America and note her faults
It's the only way to improve Her
Remove your head from your *** you flag waving paper patriot

You are welcome to roll into Texas any day boy and meet a few "paper patriots". Keep on hating. Not sure what uniform you wore...sounds like the same one as Berdaghl I suspect.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:15 PM

C63 507
I have never been a corvette guy. I always thought they were cheap and honestly pretty ugly. With the new C7 I actually, for the first time, am quite impressed. If the numbers prove to be real you will have super car performance at half the cost. Fat tires, wide stance, plenty of power and much improved styling inside and outside are all things I can get behind. Its pretty easy to forget a slightly malfitting trim piece as youre blasting past cars that think they can hang on the freeway.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:17 PM

2014 Mercedes C63
You bought your girlfriend a 2014 C63?
Why
Lol...well we had bought her a 2012 BMW 335i xDrive a couple years ago and had some Dinan stuff done to it to make it a little more peppy and it turned out to be a great little car and a heck of a lot of fun to drive and we ended up putting 40,000+ miles on it in just over 2 years (yes we drive a lot). It was approaching the end of its warranty so that was a good enough excuse to go car shopping. So we made a list of contenders and the C63 won out when all things were considered. In fairness to her, she let me drive the 335 whenever I wanted so it worked out great for us both. I assume the same will be true for the C63 so it works out real nice for me too!

P.S. - I totally agree with you JRSJR65 on your comments in this thread.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2015 Corvette Z06 will now officially make 650HP/650lb/ft torque, article: