C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

installing weistec air/oil sep - how to remove plastic y?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 11:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Question installing weistec air/oil sep - how to remove plastic y?

Hi all - well I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to remove the rear plastic y-shaped splitter on my 2014 C63. The Weistic instructions simply say to use a flathead screwdriver to bend plastic retaining clips, but as you can see from the attached pics there's no room around the Y-inlet to get access. How does one remove this piece???

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails installing weistec air/oil sep - how to remove plastic y?-image.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 11:05 AM

2018 AMG E63s
pic 2
Attached Thumbnails installing weistec air/oil sep - how to remove plastic y?-image.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 11:40 AM

2018 AMG E63s
well i was able to release plastic clip on driver's side by lifting the wiring loom clip (and moving the loom a few inches) that runs against the firewall, but the clip on the passenger side is firmly jammed between the y and what I think is the PCV valve. This is a mystery.

edit: alright, figured it out. release driver's side first, life y substantially from that side, and then release clip on passenger's side. it's gnarly, but works.

Last edited by jcfay; 07-04-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:13 PM

2018 AMG E63s
figured i'd close the loop on this one. was finally able to remove the y-splitter, and then the PCV valve, but the Weistec billet adapters that are supposed to mate perfectly in the PCV crankcase port and and on the PCV valve wouldn't mate up properly. There was always a significant gap, and one that I wasn't happy with it. I messed with it for a while, and then managed to drop one of the small hex bolts into the rear engine bay, and was unable to dig it out. So unable to proceed, reassembled everything, and sent an email to Weistec.

I'm not sure if my kit is different than others, or if it's because I'm in a 2014 coupe (and there's almost no room to work with in the engine bay), or if it's because I'm a newb to the M156, or whatever. But I couldn't get it to work. Curious if others will have the same issues or if I'm the only dips**t.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Use a little grease on the "o" rings and push in until seated, wiggling back and forth will seat the last o ring. If you notice there is a small step in the mating surfaces but the actual sealing is done with the O rings and the fastener is just to hold it in place. Yes it is very tight back there, loose fit the adapters for angle then tighten with 1 inch wrench, lubricate both and insert with the wiggling motion.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
I'm gonna throw this thing in after I finish grilling (and before I start boozing). nice way for me to spend part of my 4th!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:33 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by Critter
Use a little grease on the "o" rings and push in until seated, wiggling back and forth will seat the last o ring. If you notice there is a small step in the mating surfaces but the actual sealing is done with the O rings and the fastener is just to hold it in place. Yes it is very tight back there, loose fit the adapters for angle then tighten with 1 inch wrench, lubricate both and insert with the wiggling motion.
Thanks. No step is shown in the instructions, of course, which led me to believe that there should be full metal on metal contact instead of a gap. I assume a PCV leak with throw on the CEL? I reinstalled the PCV valve, but it didn't want to seat perfectly either, but both O rings were seated.

Now I just need a replacement bolt. Then it'll be time for a 2nd try. I just I had dwarf hands, arms that bent in 4 directions, eyes on stalks, and better eyesight too along with built in illumination. It is a royal pain in the a** working in the rear of that engine bay. Of course the instructions are on a pulled engine, too, which makes it look about 800 times easier than it really is. Just be warned.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
To install after losing the small adapter bolt, take one of the two supplied longer bolts and thread on 2 metric nuts on to it to shorten the depth going into the engine, same thing happened to me after initially installed then removed to tighten the fittings for proper alignment
EVERYONE cover the intake horn immediately after removing the Y with tape. Most of us have ham hands and will no doubt lose the small bolt, the taping over of the horn will calm your nerves knowing at least it fell down and not "IN" the engine.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by jcfay
Thanks. No step is shown in the instructions, of course, which led me to believe that there should be full metal on metal contact instead of a gap. I assume a PCV leak with throw on the CEL? I reinstalled the PCV valve, but it didn't want to seat perfectly either, but both O rings were seated.

Now I just need a replacement bolt. Then it'll be time for a 2nd try. I just I had dwarf hands, arms that bent in 4 directions, eyes on stalks, and better eyesight too along with built in illumination. It is a royal pain in the a** working in the rear of that engine bay. Of course the instructions are on a pulled engine, too, which makes it look about 800 times easier than it really is. Just be warned.
There are no metal to metal contact where the PCV adapter goes. You will have a gap which will be filled by the washer that looks like an opened clamp. All you need is that bolt to secure everything. GL
Old 07-04-2014, 09:16 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by Critter
To install after losing the small adapter bolt, take one of the two supplied longer bolts and thread on 2 metric nuts on to it to shorten the depth going into the engine, same thing happened to me after initially installed then removed to tighten the fittings for proper alignment
EVERYONE cover the intake horn immediately after removing the Y with tape. Most of us have ham hands and will no doubt lose the small bolt, the taping over of the horn will calm your nerves knowing at least it fell down and not "IN" the engine.
thanks all. Unfortunately, i didn't lose the smaller bolt but instead lost one of the 2 longer ones (I think the instructions said that the shorter wasn't needed on the C63 anyway). I'm wondering now, though, if I could just use the stock bolt that holds the PCV in place? Not sure, but IIRC it was longer than even the longer bolts provided by Weistec, so maybe I could rig that with a few nuts...