C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63/C63 507 Edition winter drivability.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-AMG C63S Edition 1
C63/C63 507 Edition winter drivability.

Currently I'm considering in trading in my CLA 45 for the C63 507 Edition. I'd be paying near the same amount monthly, but I'd have a car without massive issues. So I have a question. Is the C63 or the C63 507 Edition drivable in the winter time with some good winter tires? (I'm also debating on waiting for the new C63 since my dealership claims that it'll have AWD optional at launch or some time after launch)
Old 07-24-2014, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
I drive my c63 during winter in Calgary without having any issues. I was using DWS last year.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by snowmuch
I drive my c63 during winter in Calgary without having any issues. I was using DWS last year.
Thanks for the reply. Damn now it's an even harder choice between the 507 Edition or waiting for the new C63 (Since 4matic will be optional based off my dealerships info).
Old 07-24-2014, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by kuba.95
Thanks for the reply. Damn now it's an even harder choice between the 507 Edition or waiting for the new C63 (Since 4matic will be optional based off my dealerships info).
What is the problem your having with CLA?
Old 07-24-2014, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
I think AMG has been pretty clear that there's no 4WD for the C63, at least at first.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:24 PM

What is the problem your having with CLA?
Well I've had multiple problems with it. In the first month of owning the car all of the coolant leaked cause of a faulty valve or something like that. Had to drive the car to the dealership with no coolant stopping every 4 minutes so that the engine didn't overheat (Tows were backed up 3 days and my car was in a store parking lot where some people slammed there doors into it while I was city in it calling Mercedes roadside service so I wasn't willing to leave it there). Later on after 4 months of owning the car some control module broke forcing the car to lose all acceleration. Barely avoided an accident due to it, and if I was on the highway then there would have been an accident for sure. It took them a month to repair this issue since the wrong parts were ordered 3 times and they found another broken thing. After this got fixed I started hearing rattles every so often which are insanely annoying. Now the windshield wiper fluid sensor broke so they have to replace the whole tank. The wrong part came in again, and now I'm waiting for a new one (although I have my car back since they reinstalled the faulty part). I'm guessing that the next thing that'll occur is that my car will explode lol. http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/14-...-cla-45-a.html Heres a whole thread on everything that occurred. It's in more detail if you wish to read it, and it has me complaining a ton lol.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by whoover
I think AMG has been pretty clear that there's no 4WD for the C63, at least at first.
It might be optional who knows. Just going by what my dealership told me today, and the dealerships sales manager told me recently. Also I can see it being optional since the E63, and I believe the new S AMG has AWD optional.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
How are the payments on a C63 507 the same as a CLA45?
Old 07-24-2014, 08:32 PM

How are the payments on a C63 507 the same as a CLA45?
My CLA 45 costed 71k. I'd get a discount on it plus 0.9 percent interest. So I'd be paying about 750-780 for the C63 while I'm paying 780 for the CLA 45.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
My CLA 45 costed 71k. I'd get a discount on it plus 0.9 percent interest. So I'd be paying about 750-780 for the C63 while I'm paying 780 for the CLA 45.
Sounds like a no-brainer to me. I would consider grabbing a 2014. Your CLA was made in Mexico but the next C63 will be made in Alabama. Hard to know which to bet on. Unless it's Affalterbach and a 204 model.

I assume you are considering a sedan since the 2015 coupes will be the 204 model.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
I drove mine in SW PA using Conti DWS
No real issues
I got a wavetrac lsd a few months ago and that should really improve winter utility
Old 07-24-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG 507 Edition
Whilst it's certainly possible to drive in the wet (can't comment on snow), it certainly loses a lot of its fun factor as you have to baby the car a lot to avoid traction issues.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:45 PM

Sounds like a no-brainer to me. I would consider grabbing a 2014. Your CLA was made in Mexico but the next C63 will be made in Alabama. Hard to know which to bet on. Unless it's Affalterbach and a 204 model.

I assume you are considering a sedan since the 2015 coupes will be the 204 model.
My CLA 45 was actually made in Hungary. Also the one that the dealership has is a C63 507 Edition with some package which allows you to check out the HP, torque brake force etc it's producing. If the winters didn't worry me then I would have gotten the 507 edition right away instead of the CLA 45, but RWD plus snow etc is never a good thing in my opinion. So since I've been offered this good new deal I'm reconsidering the 507 that's why I'm asking about it's drivability in winter. (My original plan was to keep the CLA 45 till the new C63 coupe came out or a 4matic version in case it doesn't come out at launch then to trade in the CLA 45 for it.)

Also ya I'd choose a Affalterbach made car over any other car any day honestly. I'm truly disappointed that the cars won't be made in Affalterbach anymore.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
My CLA 45 was actually made in Hungary. Also the one that the dealership has is a C63 507 Edition with some package which allows you to check out the HP, torque brake force etc it's producing. If the winters didn't worry me then I would have gotten the 507 edition right away instead of the CLA 45, but RWD plus snow etc is never a good thing in my opinion. So since I've been offered this good new deal I'm reconsidering the 507 that's why I'm asking about it's drivability in winter. (My original plan was to keep the CLA 45 till the new C63 coupe came out or a 4matic version in case it doesn't come out at launch then to trade in the CLA 45 for it.)

Also ya I'd choose a Affalterbach made car over any other car any day honestly. I'm truly disappointed that the cars won't be made in Affalterbach anymore.
Yeah, that's AMG Performance Media. Very cool, especially because it adds an "AMG" button to the console.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 PM

Yeah, that's AMG Performance Media. Very cool, especially because it adds an "AMG" button to the console.
Awesome. I'll have to check it all out when I take the car for a test drive. More AMGs should have the AMG Performance Media option since it just sounds awesome lol.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Dude, with that history of problems here in the US you might qualify for a lemon law replacement. I can't remember what that exactly means, but that's ridiculous that you had that many problems with (what I assume was) a new car. Ridiculous. Go for the C63!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 507
I picked up my 507 the day before the snow started - Mercedes Canada was running the promo with "free" winter tires on a set of std C63 18" rims. Rubber is Pirelli Sottozero's. Tires are ok, but I don't think aggressive enough tread for clearing all the f*****g snow we had last year.
Driving the 507 in the snow at first was a little spooky, the lsd made going around icy street corners seems like you were sliding to your death. But you never were, it was just a very different winter feel than I got from my M5 which had much wider tires - 235 vs 285.
Took it into the mtns quite a bit, never any problems on highways or ski hill roads. I did get tired of people saying "I didn't think you could drive those in winter", and was very happy to see spring come around!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
You're going to be disappointed with Performance Media in Edmonton as the car struggles to crack 400hp at our elevation haha.

If you're used to the CLA45 in winter you're going to feel so slow in the C63. I used to get killed off the line by Corollas lol. It's tons of fun once you get going though. You also want to dial out the toe in on the rears if you want any sort of straight line stability on really cold days in the C63.

Last edited by rage2; 07-24-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by jcfay
Dude, with that history of problems here in the US you might qualify for a lemon law replacement. I can't remember what that exactly means, but that's ridiculous that you had that many problems with (what I assume was) a new car. Ridiculous. Go for the C63!
Sadly we don't have lemon laws here in Canada which is such BS honestly. Almost as if Canada doesn't care about the consumer at all.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by bbb_fatboy
I picked up my 507 the day before the snow started - Mercedes Canada was running the promo with "free" winter tires on a set of std C63 18" rims. Rubber is Pirelli Sottozero's. Tires are ok, but I don't think aggressive enough tread for clearing all the f*****g snow we had last year.
Driving the 507 in the snow at first was a little spooky, the lsd made going around icy street corners seems like you were sliding to your death. But you never were, it was just a very different winter feel than I got from my M5 which had much wider tires - 235 vs 285.
Took it into the mtns quite a bit, never any problems on highways or ski hill roads. I did get tired of people saying "I didn't think you could drive those in winter", and was very happy to see spring come around!
I also had sottozeros on my CLA 45 actually when I bought winter tires. They treated me quite well on it. Although if I got the C63 I'd probably get DWS since I hear that they're better then the sottozeros for winter conditions. Also good to hear that they're actually drivable!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by rage2
You're going to be disappointed with Performance Media in Edmonton as the car struggles to crack 400hp at our elevation haha.

If you're used to the CLA45 in winter you're going to feel so slow in the C63. I used to get killed off the line by Corollas lol. It's tons of fun once you get going though. You also want to dial out the toe in on the rears if you want any sort of straight line stability on really cold days in the C63.
Dang haha. It's still a nice option though since I always wonder how much HP my cars actually producing.

I had a GTI as my first car which was FWD. Had All season tires on it so I didn't drive fast. So I'd be used to driving slowly during the winters. Also honestly I don't push my CLA in the winters since it's pointless and it's still a slight risk even with 4matic and proper winter tires.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I also had sottozeros on my CLA 45 actually when I bought winter tires. They treated me quite well on it. Although if I got the C63 I'd probably get DWS since I hear that they're better then the sottozeros for winter conditions. Also good to hear that they're actually drivable!
This is true, I had sottozeros on my 18 inch and they did pretty bad. DWS is way better in snow...

Side question since a lot of you lives in Alberta: do you know any dealer can help my update my COMMAND software? None dealers in Calgary think the software update for centre console existed.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:47 PM

This is true, I had sottozeros on my 18 inch and they did pretty bad. DWS is way better in snow...

Side question since a lot of you lives in Alberta: do you know any dealer can help my update my COMMAND software? None dealers in Calgary think the software update for centre console existed.
Sottozeros worked fine for the CLA never slided once even on black ice. Although that was most likely thanks to the 4matic.

I think that David Morris might be able to or Weber here in Edmonton. Although with Weber they state that theirs no transmission update/turbo recall for my car even though theres a global recall and transmission update. Funny thing is Mb Canada also denies the recall and update lol
Old 07-24-2014, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Sottozeros worked fine for the CLA never slided once even on black ice. Although that was most likely thanks to the 4matic.

I think that David Morris might be able to or Weber here in Edmonton. Although with Weber they state that theirs no transmission update/turbo recall for my car even though theres a global recall and transmission update. Funny thing is Mb Canada also denies the recall and update lol
I will give them a call tomorrow thanks!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
What are you trying to get with an update?

My C63 BS got a COMAND update that fixed a few bugs a year after I took delivery, so it's definitely doable. No new features though, not even 2013 color scheme.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63/C63 507 Edition winter drivability.