C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 Prone To Rust?

Old 10-05-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
C63 Prone To Rust?

I know that only time will tell, but I was reading an article in a Benz mag and the topic was late model Mercedes being prone to rust.

The article made it clear that body rust was the Achilles Heel of the brand, often being the reason the cars eventually work their way off the road. I am one of the few that plans to keep my C63 until it is ready for the scrap yard.

Has Benz improved the W204 over past models when it comes to rust? Mine is now garaged
Old 10-05-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by -Marlin-
I know that only time will tell, but I was reading an article in a Benz mag and the topic was late model Mercedes being prone to rust.

The article made it clear that body rust was the Achilles Heel of the brand, often being the reason the cars eventually work their way off the road. I am one of the few that plans to keep my C63 until it is ready for the scrap yard.

Has Benz improved the W204 over past models when it comes to rust? Mine is now garaged
I know the older cars were, but I've never seen a spec of rust on a W204, and I've seen a lot of them. We get nasty winters too. I believe the body is galvanized, and Mercedes paint is next to impenetrable.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
I think there was a series of S klasse that had an issue

Most modern cars are dipped, sealed, etc so they are pretty durable
As long as kept clean, waxed and salt sprayed off
Need to inspect and repair any paint or under-sealant damage
The fender lips are usually the most prone areas due to stone damage
Old 10-05-2014, 07:44 PM

335i
I remember reading about a few cases of rust on non-amg 204s here, but definitely nothing close to 90s-2002 MBZ. Every prefacelift W220 (including my previous 430) here in NJ I've seen is rusting or has some sign of corrosion on it
Old 10-06-2014, 02:48 AM

2011 C63 AW
Thanks for the feedback. I'm curious to know what it is about the later model Benz that makes them rust more than any other car. ?

I have noticed that the carbon buildup on the back of the trunk by the license plate leaves a residue from the exhaust that creates an area likely to pit and rust. I've clay barred it and the stuff that comes off on the clay is bad with signs of red surface rust in there.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
hrmm I remember reading an article a few days ago stating the W204 C classes were actually amongst the best for rust resistance.

Autonet Canada did the review. Considering the amount of salt and sand on Canadian roads in winter, I would put some stock into the review.

http://www.autonet.ca/en/2013/10/09/...resistant-cars
Old 10-06-2014, 03:17 PM

C63 P31
The car will be prone to rust regardless, especially if you live in a city with a lot of snow and rain. The best/safest thing to do is to keep up with paint maintenance. Scheduled clays and wax will defiantly prevent rusting. If you just leave your car caked in salt, there obviously are going to be rusting issues. If you don't know how to detail the car yourself, your safest bet is defiantly to bring it in to a detailer before winter starts. Not to mention the fact that the car looks a million times better after a proper detail.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:22 PM

2011 C63 AW
Thanks fellas. You've confrimed what I was thinking. And I appreciate the article Kriston.

It would be such a tragedy to have a great car as this, end up in the crusher because of rust. I am going to beef up protection behind the front tires. It seems that that is the area where the cars really get nailed with rust. Extra wax is in order on the sides and below.

My thinking was really spurred when I read that the U.S. would have to have cars achieve 54pmg or better in the next 9 years. To me that means the fun cars for enthusiasts are going away and I have to ensure that this gem lasts. I don't like hybrids, turbos, or stop/starts....so my C63 will have to stay rust free for the long haul.

The upside is that many states no longer rely on salts as much and now use a concentrated fluid that will probably reduce the likelihood of heavy rusting around quarter panels as rock salt can end up getting stuck in grooves and crevices.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Not so much here in AZ, but I guess it depends where you are located. I have heard of most cases being from the north or east coast.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:55 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by -Marlin-
Thanks fellas. You've confrimed what I was thinking. And I appreciate the article Kriston.

It would be such a tragedy to have a great car as this, end up in the crusher because of rust. I am going to beef up protection behind the front tires. It seems that that is the area where the cars really get nailed with rust. Extra wax is in order on the sides and below.

My thinking was really spurred when I read that the U.S. would have to have cars achieve 54pmg or better in the next 9 years. To me that means the fun cars for enthusiasts are going away and I have to ensure that this gem lasts. I don't like hybrids, turbos, or stop/starts....so my C63 will have to stay rust free for the long haul.

The upside is that many states no longer rely on salts as much and now use a concentrated fluid that will probably reduce the likelihood of heavy rusting around quarter panels as rock salt can end up getting stuck in grooves and crevices.
We use beat juice here to de-ice roads. It unfortunately leaves a somewhat permanent film on cars if you don't wash it off.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:43 PM

2011 C63 AW
Mmmm beets

I'd be licking the road.

I'd have to say, Arizona has to be the best place to keep a car. Lucky duck. The best barn fresh hot rod projects come from there.