Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subaru
Buying an "old" new car?

Dear members

I need some advice.

My local dealership is selling a beautiful c63 coupe with performance package on it. The car was manufactured in November 2013 in Bremen so it has been sitting in the dealership for almost 1 year now!

I test drove the demo car twice, and was left speechless.

The full price of the new car that they have in the showroom is USD 103K. They immediately offered it to me for USD 95K. The salesman then came back to me 2 days later and offered an additional discount of USD 8K so they are now asking USD 87K for it. All this without me even asking for a discount. I am located in the Middle East so the prices are higher than in the US I suppose, but lower than they would be in Europe.

I was doing some reading and found out that, besides the obvious issue with the battery running flat (which is not a major problem), cars sitting in the showroom/warehouse for this long can develop some more serious issues, such as clogged fuel injectors, deficient engine belts, etc. Some advise that if such a car is purchased, a thorough service should be done (in fact the regular service interval is one year or 15,000kms for this car in any case).

My questions are as follows:

1) Would you buy this car?
2) M156 being a high performance and complex engine, I am wondering if it would be even more prone to issues after sitting idly for one year?
3) What is a fair price for this car all things considered (i.e. "new" but one year old, depreciation after one year, w205 already on the market, etc.)?

Many thanks

LudiPaa
Old 10-12-2014, 02:33 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Though it sat in the dealership, you can bet it's been started/moved several times. Showrooms floors often have the cars move around here and there to keep them looking new and exciting. (I remember when I was eyeing my old M3, it moved 3 times around the showroom in a month). They probably only put a bit of gas in at a time too, so you won't have a tank full of degraded fuel.

They are still offering full warranty I would assume, so I really wouldn't see a problem with it, and if there is, MB will fix it. Especially if it was kept inside (so no exposure to the elements).

As for the M156... It's a pretty tough engine. If you look into it's history you will see what I mean. It's a race designed engine, and built to be nearly bomb proof.

If you do buy it, request a inspection and service on it before signing over. I would definitely want the oil changed.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:41 PM

Subaru
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX
Though it sat in the dealership, you can bet it's been started/moved several times. Showrooms floors often have the cars move around here and there to keep them looking new and exciting. (I remember when I was eyeing my old M3, it moved 3 times around the showroom in a month). They probably only put a bit of gas in at a time too, so you won't have a tank full of degraded fuel.

They are still offering full warranty I would assume, so I really wouldn't see a problem with it, and if there is, MB will fix it. Especially if it was kept inside (so no exposure to the elements).

As for the M156... It's a pretty tough engine. If you look into it's history you will see what I mean. It's a race designed engine, and built to be nearly bomb proof.

If you do buy it, request a inspection and service on it before signing over. I would definitely want the oil changed.
Thanks! The 5 year warranty is still there of course. I am thinking what would be the right price though? Sure, they offered a handsome discount to me, but I am thinking that the value of that car for the dealer is going down day by day so if I am a bit patient I may be able to get it even cheaper. I heard all dealers knock prices down for older stock at year end...
Old 10-12-2014, 02:44 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by LudiPaa
Thanks! The 5 year warranty is still there of course. I am thinking what would be the right price though? Sure, they offered a handsome discount to me, but I am thinking that the value of that car for the dealer is going down day by day so if I am a bit patient I may be able to get it even cheaper. I heard all dealers knock prices down for older stock at year end...
Wait until theres a W205 on the showroom floor. It usually works better for non performance spec cars (a non AMG), but you'll probably get something. I saved 10K on my old 2014 S4 because the 2015's were being shipped already.

As for price, not too sure really what I'd pay (as I'm in Canada, and the prices are a fair bit different).
Old 10-12-2014, 03:01 PM

Subaru
Wait until theres a W205 on the showroom floor. It usually works better for non performance spec cars (a non AMG), but you'll probably get something. I saved 10K on my old 2014 S4 because the 2015's were being shipped already.

As for price, not too sure really what I'd pay (as I'm in Canada, and the prices are a fair bit different).
The one I took for a drive was 2013 model and that car was in the showroom before the one they offered to me. So they didn't sell that car either! Besides the coupe they offered to me, they also have a sedan in the same spec. So with the new car coming soon I think they need to sell the old models more than I need to buy them
Old 10-12-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 C63
I use KBB.com often just to give me an idea of the price range I should shoot for. I priced a brand new 2014 C63 coupe w/developement package, nav, and an LSD, and came out with a range of $68,719 - $71,696 with an out-the-door price of $73,473. I don't know what options the car your buying has so this may be off by a few thousands. Hope this helps.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:00 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by 8o8is
I use KBB.com often just to give me an idea of the price range I should shoot for. I priced a brand new 2014 C63 coupe w/developement package, nav, and an LSD, and came out with a range of $68,719 - $71,696 with an out-the-door price of $73,473. I don't know what options the car your buying has so this may be off by a few thousands. Hope this helps.
Buying from a third party maybe... Here a 2014 with decent millage at a dealer is 80K plus.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 coupe P31
I wouldn't worry about the state of the car, plus you'll have warranty so you should be good.

I think you can squeeze out a bit more out of the deal though, I had 17k$ off mine, it's also a 2013 with pp, I bought it in January and it's original price was 87k so percentage-wise you could aim for more!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
$87k is still too much for a C63. But you are not in the US so I cannot say about that. I think you can still squeeze some more discount knowing that car has been sitting for a while and that new models are coming soon. You have a bit more leverage for negotiation. GL
Old 10-13-2014, 02:41 AM

Subaru
Originally Posted by abcut973
$87k is still too much for a C63. But you are not in the US so I cannot say about that. I think you can still squeeze some more discount knowing that car has been sitting for a while and that new models are coming soon. You have a bit more leverage for negotiation. GL
My thoughts exactly. My target price is USD 80K which is around 22% less than the full listed price. I think this is fair considering that the car is sitting there for one year and that the new model was released in the meantime. I doubt that it will be sold in the next 2-3 months. I'm waiting for the end of the year stock taking / clean up at the dealership. This car will be a great purchase for someone eventually, I hope it is going to be me!

BTW, do you guys know until when will the w204 be made? I read recently that they are planning to keep them in production until early 2015 (whatever that means) because a lot of people prefer the good old w204 over w205. Not sure if production is continuing for coupe only or for the sedan as well (considering that w205 sedan is on the market already). In any case, this is good news I think as it gives a little bit of flexibility to those considering this car at the moment.

507 would be nice too Although I don't think I can get as good of a deal on the 507 as I am getting on the regular (if this can be called regular) C63 performance package...
Old 10-13-2014, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
A C63 coupe with a November 13 manufacture date would be a model year 2014, yes? I took delivery of my Bremen manufactured 2014 C63 in August 2013. I thought 2014 and 2015 C63 coupes were p61 (507) or regular with no p31 (performance pack) option available. Perhaps this is a regional difference.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:21 PM

Subaru
Originally Posted by rediesel
A C63 coupe with a November 13 manufacture date would be a model year 2014, yes? I took delivery of my Bremen manufactured 2014 C63 in August 2013. I thought 2014 and 2015 C63 coupes were p61 (507) or regular with no p31 (performance pack) option available. Perhaps this is a regional difference.
Yes, it is a 2014 model year. You're probably right, the p31 on this thing must be a regional thing. So your car was delivered to you 8-9 months after the production date? Any issues?
Old 10-14-2014, 03:21 AM

C63 P31 Coupe 13'
Hi,

I live in the Middle-East too. I don't think you should worry much about the car's condition since it was left at the dealership's showroom. I believe the price can even go lower a bit. In my currency, the car is for 315k Qatari Ryal. Let them lower it for you to 290K. That is a fair price for a car that is produced now in a new facelift + engine and interior. In my opinion, if you don't mind riding sedan, get the 2015 if you have the budget for it. If not, go for this one and don't leave it. I have a GCC coupe one too. They are pretty fun, so tell them to lower to that price at least and buy it. I think they cost 405k originally. So, its a good deal if you get it also lower.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:42 AM

Subaru
Originally Posted by El-Debs
Hi,

I live in the Middle-East too. I don't think you should worry much about the car's condition since it was left at the dealership's showroom. I believe the price can even go lower a bit. In my currency, the car is for 315k Qatari Ryal. Let them lower it for you to 290K. That is a fair price for a car that is produced now in a new facelift + engine and interior. In my opinion, if you don't mind riding sedan, get the 2015 if you have the budget for it. If not, go for this one and don't leave it. I have a GCC coupe one too. They are pretty fun, so tell them to lower to that price at least and buy it. I think they cost 405k originally. So, its a good deal if you get it also lower.
Thanks El-Debs!

Regarding the price, I was thiking along the same lines. I was prepared to offer USD 80K but they don't want to go below USD 87K for now so we are stuck at the moment. I doubt they will sell this car in the next month or two so perhaps I should wait until they come to their senses!

Or perhaps I should call the Qatar dealership, maybe they will be more flexible? I think Mercedes gives a GCC wide warranty for 5 years so if the price is better in Qatar that could be a good option?

To be honest, as much as the new sedan is nice, for me personnaly nothing tops the M156 feel and noise. The new engine is a 4 liter biturbo which emits a lot of heat and I am not sure how will that work in the Middle East considering the hot climate.

The naturally aspirated engine is simpler and produces less heat so in the longer run I think it should be more reliable in this region.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
That car isn't going anywhere and don't let anyone at the dealership try to create a false sense of urgency.

Price is too high. 80 grand is more than fair.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:09 AM

Subaru
Originally Posted by -Marlin-
That car isn't going anywhere and don't let anyone at the dealership try to create a false sense of urgency.

Price is too high. 80 grand is more than fair.
Thanks! Let's see what happens...As I mentioned before, I think they need to sell the car more than I need to buy it. They have a w204 sedan and a few slighlty used coupes as well which are not moving. A lot of money locked in old inventory with a brand new product on the market.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:21 AM

C63 P31 Coupe 13'
We have no C63's coupe available in Qatar from MB dealers. They are all sold-out, or they no longer have any left in the stuck or used. Wait for them and tell them you want it for 290 at least. By the end of this year, you will be driving one of these for the price you want trust me. Goodluck
Old 10-14-2014, 12:09 PM

Subaru
Originally Posted by El-Debs
We have no C63's coupe available in Qatar from MB dealers. They are all sold-out, or they no longer have any left in the stuck or used. Wait for them and tell them you want it for 290 at least. By the end of this year, you will be driving one of these for the price you want trust me. Goodluck
Thanks El-Debs!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
I would personally try to get them to certify the vehicle before the purchase is made at no additional cost to you. This should take all your worries out of buying the car. They will probably tell you this can not happen, but if they want to make a sale, I bet they can figure something out.
What is a certified warranty on an MB, I know my BMW was like 7yr/100k miles or something.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:59 PM

Subaru
Originally Posted by Autosport7
I would personally try to get them to certify the vehicle before the purchase is made at no additional cost to you. This should take all your worries out of buying the car. They will probably tell you this can not happen, but if they want to make a sale, I bet they can figure something out.
What is a certified warranty on an MB, I know my BMW was like 7yr/100k miles or something.
What do you mean by certifying the vehicle? It is a new car that's been in stock for about a year now. They told me that the warranty is 5 years or 75,000 km whichever comes first. I would probably reach 5 years before doing 75,000 km so I think this is reasonable. I don't know how/where is this written down, I assume it must be in the sales contract...
Old 10-14-2014, 10:39 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Don't forget, anything wear&tear that wears out before 40K will be replaced for free too. Atleast here.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:05 AM

Subaru
Don't forget, anything wear&tear that wears out before 40K will be replaced for free too. Atleast here.
Except tires, brakes and wipers I believe...