For all you with (TRUE!!) LTH & your neighbors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Interesting & entertaining thread. Lol

Jordan, hope u find a solution to ur neighbour problem cuz this could become nasty. I'm sure it's only a matter of better insulating ur garage (could be pricey though) or create a system to minimize noise at the source (insulate ur exhaust area which is a cheaper fix).

Good luck with ur resolution!
Old 12-29-2014, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
If I were you I'd just go ahead with my own business. If she thinks it's loud, tell her to go get some ear plugs or turn up the TV in her house.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 CLA 250 / 2010 C63 AMG
I have actually had this problem years ago for this exact issue. I tried to be as friendly as possible to my neighbor about it, but, they wouldn't have it. I told them that the BEST I could do is start my car with the garage door down, then idle down the street until I was far enough away. This still was not good enough. I came to realize that I put forth the effort and my neighbor was just going to be "Those Neighbors".

So..... I printed out the local Noise Ordinance and placed it in my car. The next time I was approached about the issue I just handed them a copy of the local law. Which states......

Residential property:
a. Sixty-five (65) dB(A) during daytime hours. 7am to 10pm same day.
b. Fifty-eight (58) dB(A) during nighttime hours. 10:00 p.m. on one day and 7:00 a.m. the following day.

Just to be clear, these dB's are at the PROPERTY LINE. Not standing next to your car.

Now, I know what your thinking. Why would I educate the neighbor to have the upper hand. But honestly at that point I was done and ready to move forward. It was my polite way of tell them to either do something about it or STFU!!!

From that day forward, never heard another peep from the neighbor. (no pun intended) lol. I hope you are able to resolve it and good luck.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
Originally Posted by kb24forlife24
If I were you I'd just go ahead with my own business........
Yes! That is exactly my plan. And see below.

Originally Posted by snoball
I have actually had this problem years ago for this exact issue. I tried to be as friendly as possible to my neighbor about it, but, they wouldn't have it. I told them that the BEST I could do is start my car with the garage door down, then idle down the street until I was far enough away. This still was not good enough. I came to realize that I put forth the effort and my neighbor was just going to be "Those Neighbors".

So..... I printed out the local Noise Ordinance and placed it in my car. The next time I was approached about the issue I just handed them a copy of the local law. Which states......

Residential property:
a. Sixty-five (65) dB(A) during daytime hours. 7am to 10pm same day.
b. Fifty-eight (58) dB(A) during nighttime hours. 10:00 p.m. on one day and 7:00 a.m. the following day.

Just to be clear, these dB's are at the PROPERTY LINE. Not standing next to your car.

Now, I know what your thinking. Why would I educate the neighbor to have the upper hand. But honestly at that point I was done and ready to move forward. It was my polite way of tell them to either do something about it or STFU!!!

From that day forward, never heard another peep from the neighbor. (no pun intended) lol. I hope you are able to resolve it and good luck.
Thank you. I was looking for more anecdotal stories. This is exactly my frustration. I have tried my best to appease her and actually have been the "better" neighbor. I have implemented several measures to try and mitigate the noise, mind you it's still only the cold start which bugs her. I certainly don't go careening down my street and all my other neighbors LOVE my 507. But to my neighbor, I have offered and tried several other techniques to appease her. I've started it with the door down. I've backed my car into the garage and started it that way. I've explained what is happening and even invited her to start it. As you all know, it's a matter of about a 1/2 second pop, then 15 or so seconds until it calms down. She not concerned with the high rev until it settles down. She only cares about that first pop. Says it sound like a rocket . She still complains. Whereas I've tried and offered several solutions, she is just a curmudgeon and still complains. Just a grumpy older lady(and not that old, maybe 55-60yrs old). After giving her several alternatives and trying my best to appease her, nothing satisfied her, she's not budging.

After trying my best, I'm going about my business. Out of a street of +50 houses, she's the only one taking issue. I can live with that. OH a fact that I haven't included, we have been kinda at odds since I moved in, Dec. of 2010.

C63 cold start, rock on!!!
Old 12-29-2014, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by jordanaf
Yes! That is exactly my plan. And see below.

Thank you. I was looking for more anecdotal stories. This is exactly my frustration. I have tried my best to appease her and actually have been the "better" neighbor. I have implemented several measures to try and mitigate the noise, mind you it's still only the cold start which bugs her. I certainly don't go careening down my street and all my other neighbors LOVE my 507. But to my neighbor, I have offered and tried several other techniques to appease her. I've started it with the door down. I've backed my car into the garage and started it that way. I've explained what is happening and even invited her to start it. As you all know, it's a matter of about a 1/2 second pop, then 15 or so seconds until it calms down. She not concerned with the high rev until it settles down. She only cares about that first pop. Says it sound like a rocket . She still complains. Whereas I've tried and offered several solutions, she is just a curmudgeon and still complains. Just a grumpy older lady(and not that old, maybe 55-60yrs old). After giving her several alternatives and trying my best to appease her, nothing satisfied her, she's not budging.

After trying my best, I'm going about my business. Out of a street of +50 houses, she's the only one taking issue. I can live with that. OH a fact that I haven't included, we have been kinda at odds since I moved in, Dec. of 2010.

C63 cold start, rock on!!!

yup, just sounds like a grumpy neighbor who would likely complain about anything no matter what.
At least you tried.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Merc63
Keep the garage door closed when you start it. Buy a Harley then she will really cry. Cant stand people like this it's loud but gone in a couple seconds.
LOL, you took the words right out of my mouth. My cars all have true LT's but the neighbors really hate when I come rolling down the street at 1:00am on my 103 inch ProCharger superchraged Street Glide lol or my 113 inch straight piped no baffle Bobber.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 188 Posts
C63 AMG
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes with your neighbour. I have LTH's and my neighbour doesn't seem to mind.

Im pretty respectful leaving and coming back home. IE: no hard acceleration etc. No issues.

Im in the process of building my new home, this time with a separate third garage just for the beast hopefully I wont have any issues with my new neighbours.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series

So lately, my neighbor has been getting really upset at me. She has come over several times now to tell me that when I start my car it, "Sounds like a rocket ship taking off.(to quote exactly)" She says that it scares her and wakes her son, who is 28yrs old just for reference. It's not like I'm disturbing a baby or youngster.
Tell her loser 28 year old son to get a life.....case closed!
Old 12-29-2014, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by Kriston
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes with your neighbour. I have LTH's and my neighbour doesn't seem to mind.

Im pretty respectful leaving and coming back home. IE: no hard acceleration etc. No issues.

Im in the process of building my new home, this time with a separate third garage just for the beast hopefully I wont have any issues with my new neighbours.

nice planning ahead there. I REALLY want a 3 car garage now so i can have a separate one for the the amg but that only happens if i move.

Also as some hit on, these cars with headers aren't anything compared to a bike. Even just low speed cruising some of those harleys are LOUD.
One guy on the street has some harley's doesn't drive them often but its really loud. neighbor right next to me has some honda bike that is pretty loud on cold start.

really it's all just luck of the draw with neighbors.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by jrcart
Maybe get the son a pack of tampons to stick in his ears...
For all you with (TRUE!!) LTH  & your neighbors-0lcyobe.jpg
Old 12-29-2014, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Your neighbor is a hater. She will probably always be a hater. She is now trained to hear your car and it gets her pissed - unfortunately this will be her default response. I suspect that even if you made it stock she would still complain.

You have been very accommodating. You tried and owe her nothing.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 188 Posts
C63 AMG
I thought your selling your CBS?

Originally Posted by VaclavSV
I live in a 4 block town home and didnt put headers in for the reason of pissing off my neighbours. That said I have every intention of putting them on in the spring.

I know 'some' of my neighbours dont like how loud the car is already but they are all too scared to say something to me LOL. There are some pick ups and motorcycles on my st. that are louder anyways.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:11 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
I've been living with MHP LT's for over 5 years now (wow it's been that long!) and I haven't had any issues, but not without some effort. Neighbors aren't a problem as most houses in my neighborhood are built on 1-2 acre lots, but I still start it with the garage door closed. I was curious how much this actually helped, and if you let someone else start the car and stand outside, you'll see it doesn't do a whole lot.

My biggest annoyance is in parking lots or parking garages. The car can be unpredictable sometimes with the warm starts. Sometimes it's really mellow, and other times it sounds like a mini cold start. I try to make sure no one is approaching or directly behind me as I know most people don't appreciate being startled like that.

Actually, now that I've had my fun I definitely want a quieter car the next go around. Or I should say, have the option to have a quiet and beast mode available at the push of a button. But on the road I love it. A mash of the throttle is way more effective than the horn for left lane slow pokes.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Just tell her you have "factory mufflers".

If she doesn't like it she should absolutely call Mercedes Benz and have a conversation with one Tobias Moers. I'm sure he'll see the error of his ways and issue a recall immediately.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

507 SEDAN
Originally Posted by jrcart
jcart, funniest comment thus far. A 28yr old living at home with mommy get's upset at the sound. Ridiculous and should be all good. I'm totally with you on your opinion.

PS- I absolutely LOVE your SLS!!!

Originally Posted by VaclavSV
Maybe get the son a pack of tampons to stick in his ears...
Not to get personal, but the son is also a virgin. But, I like your style.

Originally Posted by rediesel
Your neighbor is a hater. She will probably always be a hater. She is now trained to hear your car and it gets her pissed - unfortunately this will be her default response. I suspect that even if you made it stock she would still complain.

You have been very accommodating. You tried and owe her nothing.
I completely agree. I have tried several options. Just going about my business now. I have checked the noise ordinance and I'm not only within range, but the city/311/police couldn't even get a good reading. She complained to the city and had them come out. They were fine with the cold start. I offered several options, no more.

Originally Posted by nycphotography
Just tell her you have "factory mufflers".

If she doesn't like it she should absolutely call Mercedes Benz and have a conversation with one Tobias Moers. I'm sure he'll see the error of his ways and issue a recall immediately.
HAHAHA!!! I love it. And PS, she knows that I have stock mufflers. In all of our arguments, I have not mentioned that LTH and have told her that it's the way the car sounds and has the OEM mufflers. "Well, can't you change them," she has asked. Uh, no and hell know!! I'm leaving my car alone. It would be a funny phone call.

I have been cooking up and idea to ask her to pay for half of the change to the garage door. Right now I just have a single metal door with no insulation or finished out inside. I'm think of proposing a deal to go half and half with her to insulate and finish out the inside of the door. That's my last attempt at trying to appease her.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Actually - it's fairly simple. Get a dB meter, find out what the legal noise limit in your country/state is, and measure the sound level at cold start. If it isn't within the legal limit, she has every right to complain and it's up to you to fix it. If it is, tell her in no uncertian terms to stop harassing you and/or get a restraining order against her. Do not entertain any offers of compromise, her paying for garage door insulation or anything of the sort as this can open a can of worms should she decide to get her lawyers involved.

Even race tracks that are in the middle of nowhere have to abide by the local noise limits imposed by whatever municipality they're in. I can think of several occasions where a few Porsches in the local PCA chapter weren't allowed to run on Sunday mornings at a DE event due to excessively loud exhausts, at a track where the nearest house is probably 5 km away.

Find out if your car is within the legal limit and act accordingly.

Last edited by Diabolis; 12-30-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:32 AM

2014 C63 Coupe
Since you've already dealt with the city and they have no problem with the sound, then it's time to obtain a Restraining Order because she is frightening you and you feel unsafe. She won't be bothered by the cold starts when she is resting uncomfortably in jail.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

507 SEDAN
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Actually - it's fairly simple. Get a dB meter, find out what the legal noise limit in your country/state is, and measure the sound level at cold start................Find out if your car is within the legal limit and act accordingly.
Read some of the thread and see below.

Originally Posted by KIS007
Since you've already dealt with the city and they have no problem with the sound, then it's time to obtain a Restraining Order because she is frightening you and you feel unsafe. She won't be bothered by the cold starts when she is resting uncomfortably in jail.

In the City Municipality of Austin, TX, the code and ordinance reads like this:

"The ordinance uses the term “decibels” to mean dBA, measured using the “slow” setting on a sound level meter. I’ve taken the liberty of adding dBA to these limits when I think it’s what the ordinance is referring to. The term “sound equipment” means “loud speaker, public address system, amplification system, or other sound producing device.” In a Traditional Neighborhood District, the noise level of mechanical equipment is limited to 70 dBA at the property line [25-3-86]"

When I had the city out, they did take a measurement at the property line. The meter had a freeze(meaning the display showed the highest peak and left it displayed). At the highest level, at the property line, showed 61 dBA. At the car it showed 95 dBA. I will admit both the officer and city code enforcement officer jumped, but my car complied and was within legal limit. It was fun because afterwards, they were admiring the 507 and obviously were talking to the fact that they had never seen, or heard, a MB like mine.

Guys, I'm all good. Now, what to do?
Old 12-30-2014, 11:18 AM

2014 C63 Coupe
Read some of the thread and see below.

In the City Municipality of Austin, TX, the code and ordinance reads like this:

"The ordinance uses the term “decibels” to mean dBA, measured using the “slow” setting on a sound level meter. I’ve taken the liberty of adding dBA to these limits when I think it’s what the ordinance is referring to. The term “sound equipment” means “loud speaker, public address system, amplification system, or other sound producing device.” In a Traditional Neighborhood District, the noise level of mechanical equipment is limited to 70 dBA at the property line [25-3-86]"

When I had the city out, they did take a measurement at the property line. The meter had a freeze(meaning the display showed the highest peak and left it displayed). At the highest level, at the property line, showed 61 dBA. At the car it showed 95 dBA. I will admit both the officer and city code enforcement officer jumped, but my car complied and was within legal limit. It was fun because afterwards, they were admiring the 507 and obviously were talking to the fact that they had never seen, or heard, a MB like mine.

Guys, I'm all good. Now, what to do?
Since you're complying with the law, why not get a Restraining Order and end the conversation? My guess is she will never talk to you again.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Originally Posted by KIS007
Since you're complying with the law, why not get a Restraining Order and end the conversation? My guess is she will never talk to you again.
I really really really like this solution.

It just stops the nonsense dead. If she persists, she will be facing possible criminal consequences.

People think they can just bug you and bug you and eventually they'll get their way. I say a nasty POS like that needs to be put in their place. Permanently.

That said, you better never never ever have a loud party. Or tall grass. Or anything even remotely illegal. Ever. She will be watching you like a hawk.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Banned

S550 on order
28 and living with his mom...and people wonder why the economy is in the *****ter i think people need to start beating their kids again yelling at them to get a job isn't doing it anymore, i'm sure they'd smarten up real quick whenever a belt comes their way
Old 12-30-2014, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Originally Posted by avery.whss
28 and living with his mom...and people wonder why the economy is in the *****ter i think people need to start beating their kids again yelling at them to get a job isn't doing it anymore, i'm sure they'd smarten up real quick whenever a belt comes their way
Easier and cheaper just to change the locks on their 18th birthday. No police involvement, no lawyers, no doogooder neighbors, just $30 at Home Depot and 15 minutes with a screw driver.

"Mommy? I'm cold mommy."
"I think maybe you need to find a j.o.b. and rent your-18-year-old-self someplace to live."
Old 12-30-2014, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

507 SEDAN
Originally Posted by avery.whss
I completely agree with you about the state of the country. We have gone sooooo soft. A 28yr male old still living at home, with no job. What is doing for any of us? He and mom are definitely living off some money from the State of Texas. It's bu!!****. He is able and not physically restricted. I see him horsing around the neighborhood all the time. And I totally agree about beating kids. That's how I grew up and I turned out alright. I own a house, 2 restaurants, 3 cars, and some other stuff. I feel I adjusted well, but when I screwed up as a kid, I got the belt, the back of a hairbrush, or dad's hand. These days, you do that stuff today and CPS will be knocking on your door.

Originally Posted by nycphotography
Easier and cheaper just to change the locks on their 18th birthday. No police involvement, no lawyers, no doogooder neighbors, just $30 at Home Depot and 15 minutes with a screw driver.

"Mommy? I'm cold mommy."
"I think maybe you need to find a j.o.b. and rent your-18-year-old-self someplace to live."
I love it!!!
Old 12-31-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I swear some neighbors have way too much time on their hands..... Personally, I would pay no attention to her. No point in bickering with someone who is clueless on the car you have. Plus, it's only really loud for 20 seconds... You should start the car at 3am and give everyone a wake up call haha!
Old 12-31-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'17 AMG C43
jordanaf, I really hope you go talk to her and report back the update on this thread. It has been very entertaining and I'm dying to read her reaction.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For all you with (TRUE!!) LTH & your neighbors