Finally getting KW V3s installed!!! Need some help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Finally getting KW V3s installed!!! Need some help

They've been sitting in the box brand new for a while until I had some time and extra cash to install them. But it'll happen this Tuesday next week. Can't wait.

I know some people have installed these and aligned the car without new alignment bolts or Kmac setup...some others have had issues, so it leads me to believe it's a car by car thing.

Does anyone have alignment specs or ranges I can give the shop? The dealer and MB are so reluctant to release these specs. Hopefully someone that has had their car aligned and received specs (with or without lowering) can share them.

Also, any tips or information to share with the shop for the install? Sonic MS will be doing the work in San Jose. Also, will I be okay without the new bolts and stuff, or should I have the MB bolts or a KMAC setup ready to go? I'd have to delay the install, but I don't want to have issues or cause uneven wear on my tires if the alignment will not be able to go within specs.

Thanks in advance and yes, I've looked through multiple threads after a thorough search, but I found a lack of information or some conflicting information. Hopefully we can get some new fresh info in here.

Happy New Years everyone!
Old 01-01-2015, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
I have my alignment print out in my glove box and was about to go get it and post a pic. Then I remembered that my car has been at the stealership for the past 3 weeks (!!!) waiting for parts to come in from Germany. Driving a GLK loaner is a nice courtesy, but I'm dying without the C63.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
Ah damn. That would help so much! Any chance you'd be able to stop by the dealership and take a couple of pics before Tuesday?

Anyone else? I know it's a holiday weekend, but I'm not sure if I need to get the Kmac setup (costs almost $1,000) or if I even need that or not???
Old 01-02-2015, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
you wont need it unless you slam your car. Lower it just slightly and bolt kits will work just fine. Have them try and match the left and right cambers. Ideally you want more caster on the right than left. You should be able to get around -2.00 camber which is i believe the allowance is -2.2 not that it really matters. toe is the tire killer. -3 or more is when camber really starts killing tires.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
Thank you! I'll order the bolt kit from the dealer. They should already have it in stock.

What kind of castor specs should I be looking for (how many degrees + ?). Do you want more caster on the right because roads crown to the right (slant downwards)?

BTW, how much do you think I can lower it? .5 inches or 1 inch?
Old 01-03-2015, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
bump for any alignment specs or help...thanks!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
Originally Posted by CPD SLK
Thank you! I'll order the bolt kit from the dealer. They should already have it in stock.

What kind of castor specs should I be looking for (how many degrees + ?). Do you want more caster on the right because roads crown to the right (slant downwards)?

BTW, how much do you think I can lower it? .5 inches or 1 inch?
yep, helps the car pull to the left since it will naturally go right from the road crown. The actual degrees for caster isnt important. It's a non wearing angle. Typically people tend to like more rather than less. I think they run around 10-11* of caster though.

As for the drop the minimum will be about 1/2" lower than stock. It really depends on the wheel and tire setup/combo. Last thing you want is to bottom out on everything or tire rubbing problems, it's an AMG not a honda but you already knew that, thats why you bought the good stuff. I think they allow for up to 2.5" or 3" of drop total and some of those hellaflush/stanced homo's are all about that stuff. You really ruin any performance suspension geometry when you go that far, not to mention -4* of camber on street tires is totally useless.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
yep, helps the car pull to the left since it will naturally go right from the road crown. The actual degrees for caster isnt important. It's a non wearing angle. Typically people tend to like more rather than less. I think they run around 10-11* of caster though.

As for the drop the minimum will be about 1/2" lower than stock. It really depends on the wheel and tire setup/combo. Last thing you want is to bottom out on everything or tire rubbing problems, it's an AMG not a honda but you already knew that, thats why you bought the good stuff. I think they allow for up to 2.5" or 3" of drop total and some of those hellaflush/stanced homo's are all about that stuff. You really ruin any performance suspension geometry when you go that far, not to mention -4* of camber on street tires is totally useless.
Thanks man..yeah I have -1.5 on my other car for camber and that's maxed out on the oem hardware (front control arms).

I'm only looking to reduce the gap so maybe 1"

I'm hoping this will mean I can bring it back within range of oem alignment specs
Old 01-05-2015, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
Picked up the bolts and alignment specs from the dealer!

Question for you guys. I'm getting the KWs installed tomorrow as planned, and was going to have the shop corner balance and align the car. They suggested I wait to corner balance and align the car and just drive the car for 500 miles as the KWs will settle about .25". He says this will change the specs and that is why they suggest driving it for 500 miles before doing the corner balance and alignment.

Any suggestions? Should I just have them do it? They say no harm will be done by driving for 500 miles without the corner balancing and alignment.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-06-2015, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 353 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
I agree with your installer, let the suspension settle before doing the alignment and corner balance. It is really only the toe that can be adjusted back to spec. The front (rear camber is not adjustable and there are no other bolts available) camber and caster can be set in small fixed amounts, with replacement bolts, to balance out side to side and perhaps set a little more positive caster in the right front to counter steering pull. If you need more than this or wish to lower camber to reduce tire wear you will need KMAC adjustable bushings. If you lower the car .75 - 1 inch your camber will be -2* to -2.5* front and rear.

If your installer has a Hunter alignment rack he might have the AMG specs. If not my dealer used the 'MB 08-11 204 (C) Sport Suspension 02/08-' for the specs on my car which is a 2010.

The spec sheet I attached was posted by a member and is for a 'MB 2008-11 204 (C) AMG- 156 03/2011'.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Stock-C63 Align.pdf (579.9 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by Mort; 01-06-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
how much did sonic charge you? I am having mines installed this weekend also, and will get the car in the next day or two.