C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Knocing/Tapping from inside the coupe C63 AMG

Old 01-18-2015, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG W204 SOLD: CL55 AMG V8 Kompressor E55 W211/CLS63 W219
Knocing/Tapping from inside the coupe C63 AMG

Hello everyone.

I have this little problem/irritation about my C63 2009 with 130.000 Kilometers.

The problem is that the car has some knocing, ticking, tapping from inside the cabin. I hear it very good and this sound appers only when the car has been driving for hors and i stop at maybe a parking and put in P, N or just push the brakes in D. But the strangr thing it sounds like it is from the engine but when i pop up the hood i dont hear anything in the near of that sound. Just small ticking from the engine like normal.

I really dont know what this is. But i have done a video and uploaded it to Youtube. The link from the video: (please turn up the volume)

Please help me!!
Old 01-18-2015, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Any strange vibrations?
Old 01-18-2015, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
Any strange vibrations?

Hi, no not really..
Old 01-18-2015, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by Energiiz
Hi, no not really..
I can't really tell from the vid, but does it change with engine revs? Check to see if the knocking is coming from under the car, or even from the back. Maybe it's a loose exhaust hanger.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
I can't really tell from the vid, but does it change with engine revs? Check to see if the knocking is coming from under the car, or even from the back. Maybe it's a loose exhaust hanger.
Yes i know it is little hard to hear the sound. Well when i press the gas pedal and the enginge revs the sound stops maybe 3 sec and then come back (but it could also be so that i dont hear it when i rev the engine) I will check it tomorow. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C63 Coupe
I have the exact same sound, and have not been able to find the source either. It's like a tucka-tucka-tucka pulsing sound, and I can only hear it inside the cabin, and not from the engine bay. Only comes up after the engine is warm, and when I'm parked or stopped. I'm thinking it's an exhaust issue, and I'm hoping it's not a cracked manifold. Let me know if you source the sound. I'll probably need to bring it in to the dealership at some point before my warranty expires.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:22 PM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
I would suggest putting the car on a lift or on jack stands and get underneath to find the noise. Like maximus said, it is either a loose exhaust hanger or a defective engine or transmission mount. It sounds like something is making contact with the floor of the car.

Personally I think it sounds like the exhaust pipe making contact with the floor of the car but it is hard to tell from a video.

Good luck and hope you find the issue. Keep us posted
Old 01-19-2015, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by deanmc
I have the exact same sound, and have not been able to find the source either. It's like a tucka-tucka-tucka pulsing sound, and I can only hear it inside the cabin, and not from the engine bay. Only comes up after the engine is warm, and when I'm parked or stopped. I'm thinking it's an exhaust issue, and I'm hoping it's not a cracked manifold. Let me know if you source the sound. I'll probably need to bring it in to the dealership at some point before my warranty expires.

I also think that the issue is from the exhaust. I will check it maybe today or tomorow. Lift the car start the engine and locate the issue. It is very irritating when you hear a sound like this but cant locate it

I hope i can find something and also help you. I dont have any warranty but if i had i would give it to the dealership directly.

I will keep you updated.

Thansk for your post
Old 01-19-2015, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by JRHolt
I would suggest putting the car on a lift or on jack stands and get underneath to find the noise. Like maximus said, it is either a loose exhaust hanger or a defective engine or transmission mount. It sounds like something is making contact with the floor of the car.

Personally I think it sounds like the exhaust pipe making contact with the floor of the car but it is hard to tell from a video.

Good luck and hope you find the issue. Keep us posted
Hi! Yes i will do that. I also think that the issue is from the exhaust. Maybe a mount but i don't think so.. I will check it and i will keep you posted.

Thank you for your post. I hope i will find the issue so you all know what the problem is becouse it is veeeery irritating..
Old 01-19-2015, 04:41 PM

My guess: the regeneration valve close to the rear axle. Try opening the fuel tank cap while the engine is running. If the sound dissapears, you found the approx. source. A clogged gasoline filter could be the cause. Another cause can be a clogged overpressure valve/hose in the fuel tank.

good luck
Old 01-19-2015, 06:54 PM

2012 C63 Coupe
Energiiz: I haven't taken my car to the dealership yet, but I just had her checked out by one of the techs at Weistec. The good news is that he says it's definitely not coming from the pistons, crankshaft, or lifters. They couldn't get it on the lift today, so that's he could say for now.

Amgfreak87 can you tell us more about why you suspect it may be a fuel valve/filter issue?
Old 01-20-2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by amgfreak87
My guess: the regeneration valve close to the rear axle. Try opening the fuel tank cap while the engine is running. If the sound dissapears, you found the approx. source. A clogged gasoline filter could be the cause. Another cause can be a clogged overpressure valve/hose in the fuel tank.

good luck
Well the funny thing is that my dad who is a old mechanic said "The problem is something with the fuel. Maybe filter och injectors" I was like "Hmm i dont think so" But it could be that. Problem is that i cant do that maybe i take the car to some dealer. But i cant now. Some idiot did a biiiig schratch on the left door so the car is in for painting now

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-20-2015, 01:06 PM

Energiiz: I haven't taken my car to the dealership yet, but I just had her checked out by one of the techs at Weistec. The good news is that he says it's definitely not coming from the pistons, crankshaft, or lifters. They couldn't get it on the lift today, so that's he could say for now.

Amgfreak87 can you tell us more about why you suspect it may be a fuel valve/filter issue?
Oh what a relise.. I hope that we can find the problem. For me i cant at the moment the car is in for painting now..

Thank you very much, if its not from the engine i can take it! Thanks again
Old 01-20-2015, 05:13 PM

@deanmc: i had the same issue...
Old 01-20-2015, 08:53 PM

2012 C63 Coupe
OK I'm pretty sure it's not a fuel valve issue, did the gas cap test, sound is still there.

Energiiz, I've located the general source of the sound, I can hear it loudest when I'm outside the car and stick my head into the driver's side footwell area. Sounds like it's coming directly from underneath the car on the driver's side, so I'm thinking it's an exhaust leak on that side. When I put my head down into the passenger side footwell, I don't hear anything at all. Let me know if it's the same for you.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:53 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E63s
OK I'm pretty sure it's not a fuel valve issue, did the gas cap test, sound is still there.

Energiiz, I've located the general source of the sound, I can hear it loudest when I'm outside the car and stick my head into the driver's side footwell area. Sounds like it's coming directly from underneath the car on the driver's side, so I'm thinking it's an exhaust leak on that side. When I put my head down into the passenger side footwell, I don't hear anything at all. Let me know if it's the same for you.
I have the same sound and its driving me nuts, did you find the problem?
Old 02-09-2015, 04:50 AM

2012 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by longbow0404
I have the same sound and its driving me nuts, did you find the problem?
Not yet, I'm planning on taking it in to the dealership this week, but it's been very intermittent lately, so I'm pretty sure it won't be there when I need them to hear it. Just bought a mechanic's stethascope, but still can't isolate where the sound is coming from.

OP, any luck?
Old 02-09-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C63 S, 2011 C63 R.I.P.
I too have this noise. Hopefully your findings end up showing it's nothing serious.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E63s
Originally Posted by rmt52
I too have this noise. Hopefully your findings end up showing it's nothing serious.
Just an update; My ML350 (wife car) has the same noise; I drove her car over the weekend and I noticed that her car has the same noise coming from the same place; Its not all the time but its the same noise.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C63 S, 2011 C63 R.I.P.
Not yet, I'm planning on taking it in to the dealership this week, but it's been very intermittent lately, so I'm pretty sure it won't be there when I need them to hear it. Just bought a mechanic's stethascope, but still can't isolate where the sound is coming from.

OP, any luck?
Did you have any luck figuring this one out?