C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

The perfect rim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CL65AMG, C63, and CLK430
The perfect rim

I have a 2011 c63 that I have kept bone stock for the past year. I love my car but I want to give it more character. I'm looking to install kw v3 coilovers but to complement the car it needs new shoes. I was debating between adv1 and HRE I would like to know what you guys think and hear your suggestions I want to find the absolute perfect rim. Hope to hear from all of you!

Thanks,
Shayan
Old 02-11-2015, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Obviously the design is up to you. But go with HRE. Each company has many different styles and designs, but HRE has superior customer service.

Btw - I had ADV's and am speaking from experience. If I had the money I would definitely go with HRE this time around.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
HRE is the best. If you're thinking of ADV you probably need to google 360forged/adv.1 and read up on them.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
i hate that adv is even considered in the same ballpark as HRE.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
Would be happy to assist you with any of your wheel needs and can provide professional rendering services for either brand as well as great pricing.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Range Rover Sport, 2012 C63 Coupe P31
I just placed an order for some ADV1's. I went through the same exact thing but, in the end, it came down to the design of the wheels. HRE's are very limited in what they offer and I dislike how the P43SC's have 11 spokes instead of 10.

I'm aware of ADV1's past and I'm not a fan of how cocky/douchey they can be at times but there's no arguing that they offer the most wheel styles and are highly customizable. Hopefully it doesn't come around to bite me.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tal@ACGAutomotive
Would be happy to assist you with any of your wheel needs and can provide professional rendering services for either brand as well as great pricing.
<Edited/Removed due to an error on my part>

Last edited by unruin; 02-11-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
Originally Posted by unruin
No offense, but the quote you provided me for wheels was very high. In fact, every quote I've received from ACG was for MSRP or higher. It's a shame because I'd like to support contributing vendors.

Sorry to call you out on this thread but it struck a nerve when I saw "great pricing".
None taken, I believe when I quoted you for every set you inquired about I gave you actual MSRP and a price that was significantly lower. I don't know if my email was misunderstood but would love to know how far off base I am in compared to who you did order wheels from if you're willing to share privately.

Thank you for the feedback.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by JeffDL
i hate that adv is even considered in the same ballpark as HRE.
Because they relate in price, which is how they get clumped together.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
In Terms of wheel style, thats 100% personal preference.

If you are talking about the cream of the crop in terms of design / engineering and overall lineage in Motorsport. You should be looking at BBS.

I have HRE wheels my self, but BBS wheels have had many more years in racing history and innovation in technology.

If you ask me the perfect wheel is the BBS LM. It has been around for decades and looks immaculate to this date. A testament to its design, which its still unchanged from its inception.

And yes I will be moving my HRE wheels soon, I have a set of BBS LM's that were just finished being built for me.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
HRE quality & customer service is top notch... I got my 5th set (P43SC) on order as we speak for a different car...

The perfect rim-dsc_5543_edited-1_zps16800eed.jpg
Old 02-15-2015, 04:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by CL65AMG310
I have a 2011 c63 that I have kept bone stock for the past year. I love my car but I want to give it more character. I'm looking to install kw v3 coilovers but to complement the car it needs new shoes. I was debating between adv1 and HRE I would like to know what you guys think and hear your suggestions I want to find the absolute perfect rim. Hope to hear from all of you!

Thanks,
Shayan
I bought a set of ADV 08 TS for my 63 shipped to Australia, had no issues with any part of the transaction. ADV had a great range of designs which made the choice difficult........ The wheels are great no issues, stance is great on HR springs.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C63
Originally Posted by Kriston
In Terms of wheel style, thats 100% personal preference.

If you are talking about the cream of the crop in terms of design / engineering and overall lineage in Motorsport. You should be looking at BBS.

I have HRE wheels my self, but BBS wheels have had many more years in racing history and innovation in technology.

If you ask me the perfect wheel is the BBS LM. It has been around for decades and looks immaculate to this date. A testament to its design, which its still unchanged from its inception.

And yes I will be moving my HRE wheels soon, I have a set of BBS LM's that were just finished being built for me.
I would agree that BBS prbably makes the best wheel out there. Rays Volk Racing wheels would be a very close second. They also have a history of supplying race wheels at every level of performance (including F1). They also make a number of factory wheels for Japanese cars.

Disclaimer, I currently have the Rays Volk Racing G25s on my C63. They are very light (19.1 and 19.5 lbs) and have held up to more than two years of crappy Houston roads.

If I every get another newer car, I would probably look at Volk Racing first. They are usually about half the cost of the equivalent BBS wheel.

That being said for my 1983 911SC, I would love to have a set of BBS RS or LM wheels.

HRE also, makes a very good wheel. They offer less options than others, because, just like BBS and Volk Racing they put actual engineering and research into the design and have excellent QC in their manufacturing. It would be wise to be skeptical of newer wheels companies that claim to offer anything and everything and have a new design every week. It is also wise to be skeptical of companies that offer cheap wheels. They are probably heavy, poorly designed, and/or brittle. Think of these wheels as more like costume jewelry. They may look the part, but they are only imitating the real thing and will not last.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by TexasEngineer
I would agree that BBS prbably makes the best wheel out there. Rays Volk Racing wheels would be a very close second. They also have a history of supplying race wheels at every level of performance (including F1). They also make a number of factory wheels for Japanese cars.

Disclaimer, I currently have the Rays Volk Racing G25s on my C63. They are very light (19.1 and 19.5 lbs) and have held up to more than two years of crappy Houston roads.

If I every get another newer car, I would probably look at Volk Racing first. They are usually about half the cost of the equivalent BBS wheel.

That being said for my 1983 911SC, I would love to have a set of BBS RS or LM wheels.

HRE also, makes a very good wheel. They offer less options than others, because, just like BBS and Volk Racing they put actual engineering and research into the design and have excellent QC in their manufacturing. It would be wise to be skeptical of newer wheels companies that claim to offer anything and everything and have a new design every week. It is also wise to be skeptical of companies that offer cheap wheels. They are probably heavy, poorly designed, and/or brittle. Think of these wheels as more like costume jewelry. They may look the part, but they are only imitating the real thing and will not last.
Unfortunately, racing heritage does not automatically mean good looks.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C63
Unfortunately, racing heritage does not automatically mean good looks.
Correct, good looks are completely subjective. I happen to thing the BBS FI, BBS LM, and BBS RS are great looking wheels. I also think my black Volk Racing G25s look amazing (admittedly biased), but I understand if they aren't to everyone's liking.

If you must have the "it" wheel, you will be sacrificing some of what make a performance car great. Performance starts with the tires and wheels. The wheels need to be strong and light. Light strong wheels do have a perceptible, tangible impact to performance in handling, steering feel, braking, and accelerating. Also if a wheel is weak, it will likely break as some point.

Good luck with your search for the perfect wheel. It is a tough, and expensive choice. If style is the ultimate barometer, just choose what you like. If quality and performance are the top goals, I would stick with BBS, Volk, and HRE.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
HRE is way ahead of ADV.1 in terms of strength, design, durability, weight savings, quality and customer service. Unless Jordan has sold the company and they have fired half of their staff, the only area where ADV.1 is ahead of HRE - by quite a margin - is in terms of bu11$h!t and lies. You decide.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
mazda rx7
I just placed an order for some ADV1's. I went through the same exact thing but, in the end, it came down to the design of the wheels. HRE's are very limited in what they offer and I dislike how the P43SC's have 11 spokes instead of 10.

I'm aware of ADV1's past and I'm not a fan of how cocky/douchey they can be at times but there's no arguing that they offer the most wheel styles and are highly customizable. Hopefully it doesn't come around to bite me.
Why not just get MHT/Niche wheels instead of ADV1? They make ADV1 wheels and are probably cheaper too.

Last edited by ab0bab0i; 02-18-2015 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C63S
Originally Posted by Steve Richo
I bought a set of ADV 08 TS for my 63 shipped to Australia, had no issues with any part of the transaction. ADV had a great range of designs which made the choice difficult........ The wheels are great no issues, stance is great on HR springs.
would love to see some photos... i just had a quick look through your previous posts and couldn't seem to see any pics. not often a set of ADV.1's come downunder.. although a mate just put a set on his 997.2 GT3.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Come on guys lets be serious! -We all know Forgestar is the best wheel company out there hands down! Theres a reason it takes 8 months to get an unfinished replacement wheel -They are simply the best!

OP I would go HRE if you want a well built wheel, 3 Piece ADV.1 are known for leaking and bending often -however I have to agree that their designs are amazing!

I also really like Vorsteiner Wheels! -They make a high quality product.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
'18 Audi A4
Besides you're in LA, you can drive down to the HRE warehouse in San Marcos and put your order in person.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Texas engineer is 100% correct, there are a few wheel manufacturers who have been in this business for some time. If i'm paying thousands on a set of wheels. It better say BBS / Rays / Work or HRE on them. I cringe knowing that there are a select few who will spend 10K + on a set of wheels from ADV.1. A little research and you would find that these guys are a fly by night operation. Hey we cant tell people how to spend there money, but I can definitely make buyers aware of the shady practices by some of these new-comers.

There is something special with LM's. I have such a soft spot for them. A glimpse of what's to come on the C63 this year.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ab0bab0i
Why not just get MHT/Niche wheels instead of ADV1? They make ADV1 wheels and are probably cheaper too.
Why get a Veyron when you can own a Passat? VW owns Bugatti along with Lamborghini, Porsche and Bentley.

Worst. analogy. ever.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kriston
Texas engineer is 100% correct, there are a few wheel manufacturers who have been in this business for some time. If i'm paying thousands on a set of wheels. It better say BBS / Rays / Work or HRE on them. I cringe knowing that there are a select few who will spend 10K + on a set of wheels from ADV.1. A little research and you would find that these guys are a fly by night operation. Hey we cant tell people how to spend there money, but I can definitely make buyers aware of the shady practices by some of these new-comers.

There is something special with LM's. I have such a soft spot for them. A glimpse of what's to come on the C63 this year.

Am I the only one that thinks that wheel is fugly? BBS-FI, I get it. But the LM looks like a retro wheel from the 80s.

I went with ADV1 over HRE because of styling. If I have a problem they'll fix it or I'll dispute the credit card charge. Simple as that.

You aren't going to find another wheel company that offers the customization that ADV1 does. If HRE did, they would certainly be getting my money. Unfortunately, they don't.

Here are the choices for the ADV05. Pretty impressive, if you ask me.
http://adv1wheels.com/wheelcollection/adv05overview.php
Old 02-18-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 S63 AMG S and 2018 GLS450
Those BBS wheels are a classic i think and is such a timeless design! However i can understand that it is not for everyone as well.

Kris throw on the HRE S101 bad boys !
Old 02-18-2015, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
This is the beauty of choice,

you seem pretty hard pressed to get ADV.1 Wheels. No one is saying no. we are simply sharing info with you. Its up to you to make a sound decision.

The title of this thread is a bit pretentious. You asked for the perfect rim. There isn't one. But you are bent on ADV1. Lol did you see what I did there?

Benson I think this guy should buy your ADV1 Wheels. You are ditching them for HRE's anyways.

Am I the only one that thinks that wheel is fugly? BBS-FI, I get it. But the LM looks like a retro wheel from the 80s.

I went with ADV1 over HRE because of styling. If I have a problem they'll fix it or I'll dispute the credit card charge. Simple as that.

You aren't going to find another wheel company that offers the customization that ADV1 does. If HRE did, they would certainly be getting my money. Unfortunately, they don't.

Here are the choices for the ADV05. Pretty impressive, if you ask me.
http://adv1wheels.com/wheelcollection/adv05overview.php

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The perfect rim