C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

driving modes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 mct
driving modes

do we really have to stop first before changing the transmission modes?there was a tread abt this but i didnt really get the answer i needed. i mean is it really necessary or just a safety measure? i go from c to s+ really often while cruising and also if i drive the car in s+ all the time will it increase the transmission wear and tear. i like driving in s+ while cruising or speeding .
Old 02-22-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
No, not necessary. If it were damaging to the car you would not be able to do it.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
I mean, I wouldn't sit there and spin the dial back and forth while driving. But, you can switch without issue while cruising along. I'm not sure if I have ever stopped the car to change modes
Old 02-22-2015, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
i've been with my car for a week now, and i notice when changing to modes while driving the car gives a slight judder.. since then i just wait till i stop to change modes. it didn't feel healthy when i did it, at all.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:32 PM

Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
From owners manual (2014, page 141)

"Only change from automatic drive program C,
S or S+ to manual drive program M when the
vehicle is stationary."

I read it as we are able switch to any mode except manual while moving. I've done this without issues.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by solekeeper
i've been with my car for a week now, and i notice when changing to modes while driving the car gives a slight judder.. since then i just wait till i stop to change modes. it didn't feel healthy when i did it, at all.

That was probably cause you were in comfort mode in 2nd gear and switched to Sport depending on your speed it go into 1st gear and you would get a slight judder as described depending on your speed of course.

OP as mentioned previously no concern in doing it while driving.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Again, not sure why everyone is so sure that the owners manual can be ignored. Yes, I've wondered the same thing myself, but I resist the urge to switch into M when driving and instead do it while stopped. It takes TREMENDOUS patience (no, it doesn't...). Depending on your risk threshold, then do as you see fit, but I choose to follow MBs recs on this and other subjects where they've cared to offer guidance. They engineered and built the car, after all. I also don't find this to be a problem as I always wait til the car is up to temp before I switch into M mode, and this takes at least a few minutes and includes a couple of stops anyways, right?
Old 02-23-2015, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
You're probably right - it's better safe than sorry. But you have to wonder why MB, with all the engineering and programming resources in the world, and time and development spent engineering the car, did not make the software UNABLE to select 'M' while driving if it wasn't generally safe. Afterall, the conditions where you can use 'Race Start' are very specific. It would have taken them all of about 30sec to program the same for 'M' mode.

I think the main reason they don't want you shifting into 'M' on the fly, is to ensure that you're not going to zing the engine shifting into a lower gear, or switching to 'M' while hammering the car. While highway cruising, with no strain on the engine or tranny, I think we're all pretty sure it's not going to blow up the car.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:34 AM

c63 mct
thanks for being really helpful guys , will driving in s+ all the time increase the transmisson/ engine wear ? because driving in c mode is just far too pointless in this car imo .
thanks
Old 02-23-2015, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
You're probably right - it's better safe than sorry. But you have to wonder why MB, with all the engineering and programming resources in the world, and time and development spent engineering the car, did not make the software UNABLE to select 'M' while driving if it wasn't generally safe. Afterall, the conditions where you can use 'Race Start' are very specific. It would have taken them all of about 30sec to program the same for 'M' mode.

I think the main reason they don't want you shifting into 'M' on the fly, is to ensure that you're not going to zing the engine shifting into a lower gear, or switching to 'M' while hammering the car. While highway cruising, with no strain on the engine or tranny, I think we're all pretty sure it's not going to blow up the car.

thats how i see it , if they didn't think it was safe you wouldnt be able to switch to manual unless stationary.
I'm in S all the time and then downshift occasionally when coming to a stop by holding down the downshift paddle which safely brings the gears down
Old 02-23-2015, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Just switch modes when you are at a light or a stop. Not that big of a deal. You make it seem like its a heroin hit to a junky and you can't spare a few minutes to change the mode, YOU NEED IT NOW! LOL. I feel the car shudder even when switching when at a full stop. It doesn't mean you have to put car in park, just don't turn the knob while having the car moving, at whatever speed. Per Manual.

Clearly states change when car is at a full stop...
Old 02-23-2015, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
Originally Posted by 63xx
thanks for being really helpful guys , will driving in s+ all the time increase the transmisson/ engine wear ? because driving in c mode is just far too pointless in this car imo .
thanks

interesting note in c mode.. at least for me.

i noticed when cruising in c mode the tranny is much more friendly when shifting.. (comfort is the point, i know) but when i'm in s+ just cruising, going from 4th to 5th is a godam chore. i have to depress the throttle alot to get it to go into 5th. it's annoying.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Use the paddle shifter to shift up. That is what they are for.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
I have done it in on the move, at lights, no issues.

I am usually cruising in C or S+.