C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Review of Eurocharged tune and service.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 GLK350, 1993 SVT Cobra
Review of Eurocharged tune and service.

TLDR: Eurorcharged product and service is second to none. You are welcome to read this long *** post should you so desire.

I am new to the Mercedes performance world. I've had an M3(2004), 335i(2008), Mustang GT(2009), Mustang GT(2011) and Shelby GT500(2011). This is in addition to the dozen or so carbureted hotrods I had before that. All of these were modified to one degree or another. The 2011 Mustang was making 650hp to the wheels on about 10psi and the GT500 was making closer 800 at the wheels on 21psi. Most of these cars had drivability or reliability issues. When these issues pop up, you want someone who will offer some support of the product.

I've had my C63 for about 2 weeks. When I bought it, I thought "yea, this one will stay stock...its perfect the way it is". 3 days ago, the Eurocharged box arrived.

My experience:
-Their instructions could be better. I think many customers may be new to aftermarket tuning. Perhaps when some customers are driving a 100k+ car, they let someone else, namely Eurocharged, install all the stuff. I am not one who typically lets ANYONE work on my car unless it's warranty nor am I driving a 100k+ car. It is VERY difficult to find the correct instruction set on their website. It is also very difficult to find which software to use. Turns out the guides are a little outdated and the flowchart they have of the flashing process does not match the screens shown on the handheld. Also, the handheld presents some screens that on first look would be cause for concern. Turns out all of these were a non issue...but I think having one of their guys sit in any car they tune, create an accurate instruction set with pictures in a PDF and appropriately label them for the car it matches would go a long damn way.
-Their front line support could maybe use a little more training. I've been a Software Engineer and before that a network admin for longer than I'd care to admit. I typically know how to troubleshoot driver issues and software install problems. The myGenius software is not user friendly(not their fault). When I called support, their tech guy couldn't get it to work either. He thought uninstalling the software was as simple as deleting the shortcut off the Windows desktop. He couldn't get it to work and went to the failsafe method of "send us back the USB cable because that's bad". Yea, USB cable is just fine. The guy was very nice and professional and did his best and I'm not faulting him for any of this. Doing phone support sucks. That's when Jerry Thornton got involved.
-Jerry took remote control of my Windows 7 box and fixed my install. Told me I was using the Euroflash software and shouldn't be. I read their website but it wasn't clear to me that all I needed was the myGenius install. The first guy didn't tell me that either...he was trying to get it to work as well. Anyway, Jerry changed permissions on the filesystem, changed the shortcut to run in compatibility mode and reinstalled the handheld USB drivers. This goes back to they need software that says 1)Click here 2)Plug in your **** 3)Unplug your **** and go plug it into the car. Even tools in the Ford/domestic world are about 100x more user friendly. Either way, Jerry got it going in about 5 min.
-So after getting that set up, and trying to follow the inaccurate flowchart, and calling them up and sending pics of the screen for clarification, it turns out everything was fine. I sent them my ID file and they had a tune back to me within 10 minutes. I loaded the tune and went about my day.

Impressions:
-Yea, you risk your warranty. That said, you can back this out. It does not increase the flash counter. The dealer can't tell it's been flashed. If you go to the dealer, flash it back to stock and you're good to go. Yes, there is always that 1% risk that you may get into a state where you can't get it back out. Worst case you send the ECU(easy removal) to Eurocharged and they fix it for you. Bottom line, you are taking a risk, but a VERY small one.
-No codes or check engine lights. Engine fired right up. Drivability is MUCH better. Shifts are firmer and downshifts are pure music in sport mode. Car pulls MUCH harder and is way more responsive. Granted, I just have a lowly Edition 1 car. No black edition, no p31 and no 507. Maybe those are tuned more aggressively. I think you probably get the power level with those cars, but I doubt you get the drivability enhancements. It's calm and smooth when the wife is in the car and an animal when you want to play.
-You won't find better service than the guys at Eurocharged. INSTANT response to questions and if they don't know the answer, they put the phone down and go find out. I don't think you can go wrong with this.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:55 AM
g-f

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
996TT
I agree 100% with pretty much everything you said.

The instructions are pretty bad, but fortunately, it is simple enough that we can get through it nonetheless. I didn't have to call them but had to ask a question or two.

If they'd write better instructions they'd probably get rid of many calls and emails.

The tune rocks for sure!
Old 04-18-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E55K, Black on Black. C63, Black on Black. SRT-10 NightRunner 363of400
I had minimal trouble with my install. And the tune really wakes the car up. When I talked to Dylan he said the the handhelds are now on back order.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
Working on getting my tune done as we speak, this review is pretty accurate. The instructions suck, but the Eurocharged staff is helpful. Hopefully the tune is good!!
Old 04-19-2015, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Here is some good info on the MyGenius install. Indeed the first time through, the instructions that come with MyGenius are a bit wonky but others members info definitely helped.

Originally Posted by 6.3-amg
Hello!
Regarding the V5 tune installation, i completed this with ease despite not being particulatly computer literate!
Once the handheld is received you need to email EC to have it authorised.
Then pop the usb key and upload the software.
Attach myGenius to computer/laptop with supplied cable and update the device, there are 4 'folders' with the software these are :
1-download from myGenius
2-upload to myGenius
3-info
4-update - this is the first procedure you should do once you get the auth.code from EC.
Once your device is fully updated (i kept updating around 3 times to make sure!) attach the obd cable that came with it and head to your car
Put OBD into the connector which is located under the steering wheel next to pedals and the device will "work" i.e you know it is plugged in correctly!
Just follow the instructions on the device starting with "work" to download your current ecu file it is an fpf file you require.
Once this is complete detach the cable and back to your comp.or laptop.
Plug is with usb cable again and you can access the 'upload to myGenius' section - it will be highlighted
Then locate the fpf file and save it to my docs or something
You can then upload the file directly from your computer to EC via email.
Once you receive the modified file back which is a myG file, save to my docs, plug in myGenius and download that file to the device.
Back to the car and plug in etc. Start with "work" and upload the myG file following onscreen instructions
Once the mod.file is uploading the parking sensors and fan kick in which was scary! then still following onscreen instructions etc. I had 'run errors' or something which threw me but i clicked 'ok' and the device completed around 30secs after with 'file successfully uploaded' or something along those lines! I unplugged and started the car, it sounds different so you will know if its been successful and when you drive you will notice the aggressive downshift, esp. 3 to 2
I also left the battery off overnight to reset tcu ecu etc which helped.
It was quick communication from EC as well, im in the UK!
Hope this helps
also:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ps-tricks.html
Old 04-19-2015, 03:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C63 Amg
And as they get bigger they just continue to keep the exact same customer service and to continue make new modifications is rare.

They cool thing to is if you do want to continue modifying your car and as you add more modifications they will continue making you a new tune each time at no charge.

Jerry made my tune while on vacation in Germany I believe last year. I mean seriously who does that, I wouldn't be making your guy's tunes on my vacation, it wait just a little bit.

Great Guys! They have helped me turn that C63 of mine into a beast!

Last edited by Ihopaz; 04-19-2015 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 04-19-2015, 05:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
Those handhelds are hit and miss. Several members have had issues with tunes failing to write, or getting into perpetual loops. I also had an issue with the handheld locking up and deleting the stock tune from the handheld, when I was trying to go back to stock. In my case the issue was definitely not operator error, even though that may have been the issue in some cases.

It is largely due to that hit and miss issue (as well as wanting a more aggressive and custom calibrated tune), that I switched to MHP. I am very happy with that switch and could not be more pleased with how the car runs now. The gear switch points are higher (better suited for spirited driving using lots of engine braking in S+) and the car has gained power.

Good to know there are several options out there.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 AMG and 2002 Ford Explorer Sport
When I bought my tune two weeks ago I was in the same boat. However no made the phone call and got Dylan on the line. I got him remotely connected to my computer and he did the rest. He actually asked me to go flash my car while he stayed on the phone. I then connected the programmer and he finished the install.

I called him a short time later when Jerry sent the tune and he competed the rest. I went to the car and uploaded the tune and all was well.

So yeah the guys at Eurocharged have their poop all in one sock. They have a clue, and Jerry seems quite knowledgeable about what he is doing. I'm all for that. So in my experience I would definitely buy from EC again.

I may be heading to their Houston shop soon so will update you on any new tunes or updates as they happen.

Thanks to all

Howie
Old 04-20-2015, 09:45 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
none
I need to go ahead and get mine done... It's sitting on the dining room table begging to be installed.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Audi RS5
Originally Posted by Huchimo01
When I bought my tune two weeks ago I was in the same boat. However no made the phone call and got Dylan on the line. I got him remotely connected to my computer and he did the rest. He actually asked me to go flash my car while he stayed on the phone. I then connected the programmer and he finished the install.

I called him a short time later when Jerry sent the tune and he competed the rest. I went to the car and uploaded the tune and all was well.

So yeah the guys at Eurocharged have their poop all in one sock. They have a clue, and Jerry seems quite knowledgeable about what he is doing. I'm all for that. So in my experience I would definitely buy from EC again.

I may be heading to their Houston shop soon so will update you on any new tunes or updates as they happen.

Thanks to all

Howie
How long did the whole process take?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:35 PM
GRP

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63
I have been very happy with mine and the service but have to agree the instructions suck.

Any dealer selling the My Genius would be doing themselves and their customers a big favour by providing their own clear easy to follow instruction sheet.