C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

About to pull trigger in C63 BS scared of paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 C63 black series, 2015 C63 507 coupe, 2012 Porsche Cayman R 4.2L 404hp
About to pull trigger in C63 BS scared of paint

So I am looking at a 2012 CBS in Magno Alanite Grey Matt. I had it inspected at a body shop and they founds some chips on the car (dealer claimed it had zero damage). I am very type A with my cars. Question: I know you can't do spot repairs on Matt finish cars but has any one done micro chip touchups on matt cars-just filling the chip with the proper touchup paint-I would think it would look better than a chip. Even gloss silver cars are nearly impossible to repair properly if they are chipped with out spraying and blending. Here are the the pics

Old 07-11-2015, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
I don't have a answer. sorry, but I've often wonder the same about repair of the matt paint and am interested in the responses.

sub'ed
Old 07-11-2015, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Really? It's a 2012 car that has been on the road and you're worried about those two nicks in the paint? 2-3mm chips and two of them?

If that is what you find "wrong" with the car, buy it. There are brand new cars that just roll off the delivery trucks with more chips and swirls etc in the paint than that.

Just talk to the dealer about the process for repainting if you absolutely have to have a 3 year old car that looks like it has been vacuum sealed.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
my sister works at mercedes, lets just say...80% of the "new cars" you buy, have been hit, the lot kids are retarded as ***...it's a bunch of 18-23 year olds who gives no **** and rip around the cars in the lots then end up hitting something..and it's not just 1 mercedes, all dealerships are like this

my hood got rekt'd by a lot kid, the dumb *** took a cloth with a rock in it and wiped off my hood..well, im sure you can assume what a rock does to paint.

if you can't accept the car will get smoked by a rock one day from a truck then don't buy it, cause it will get smoked one day, no ones that lucky to not have a rock come flying towards their windsheild

Last edited by avery.whss; 07-11-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the responses

Rather than a critique of my OCD type A personality re car detailing and finish care (I know I have a problem) I was looking for thoughts on touching up those chips.
I will respectfully disagree with those that say you have to have chips if you want to drive your car. I have had three new cars since 2009 (M3, Cayman R, C63) all got the front ends wrapped with XPEL, none had any paint damage after three years. Stuff happens I know that you can't prevent. My cars are not garage queens they get driven hard and often. My family SUV hasn't been even washed in 4 years, can't tell you how many chips are on that one. I don't care.
Looking at spending nearly $90K on a three year old car makes me a little anxious and other than the chips I showed it looks clean.
Thinking about chip repair I think if I really carefully fill just the chip and don't get any on the surrounding paint it should be ok. Since it looks like I am getting this car I will update this post with the results of my chip repair. Thanks all, and peace...
Old 07-11-2015, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
You just want to make sure you take it to a good body shop to have them touched up. Chips that small at a good place wont be noticeable when they are done. Then get your wrap and you're good to go. It really won't be as difficult as you think and if you want the paint code should be on the inside of the door. Ask around and see if anyone has an issue with that.

I was just getting at the fact you have some sort of issue with the dealer saying that car has 0 damage. If that is all that is wrong with it, then yeah, I'd call it 0 damage myself. Not everyone is going to wrap their car and if you drive it it's inevitable to get chips.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:09 PM

2014 C63 Polar White
Matt painted cars are very hard to touch up. They look nice but.......
Old 07-11-2015, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Matte is a PITA to care for. I'd stay away from it.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
You just want to make sure you take it to a good body shop to have them touched up. Chips that small at a good place wont be noticeable when they are done. Then get your wrap and you're good to go. It really won't be as difficult as you think and if you want the paint code should be on the inside of the door. Ask around and see if anyone has an issue with that.

I was just getting at the fact you have some sort of issue with the dealer saying that car has 0 damage. If that is all that is wrong with it, then yeah, I'd call it 0 damage myself. Not everyone is going to wrap their car and if you drive it it's inevitable to get chips.

I'm not sure how they will touch it up? Tocuhup paint and not add the clear? Unless they make a matte clear touchup. I suppose you can always use matte clear from Testors (the stuff you use for models).
Old 07-11-2015, 01:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
I have a few rock chips on mine. I don't have matte finish paint. It doesn't bother me as log as they are filled with matching touch up paint to prevent rust, it builds character. Nothing is perfect except new. I would not be turned off from buying because of this. If you have a personality that requires perfection, buy new. Accepting flaws of material things in life helps you to enjoy them to their fullest. Try not to get caught up in the small defects and enjoy the car as is.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:27 PM

Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
OP, you don't say where you are. If in the U.S. The C63 BS is a rare bird. If you want the car try working with the dealer to pay for the chip repair.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
There is no such thing as chip repair for matte paint. I'm the same OCD as you, that's why I wrap my cars right off the lot.

Matte paint is not easy to deal with on repairs, no touch up paint will work, it looks really bad. You can't spot paint or blend, so you have to repaint the entire panel to really fix it. There's also very few shops that can do it properly, as repainting a panel often ends up with that panel not matching anything else.

If you're that bad with your OCD, skip this car and wait for a non matte car. I'm OCD, love matte cars, but I went matte by getting a metallic color and clear matte film over the entire car, which is 1000000x easier to maintain. I talked about the pros and cons of different Matte options a couple years ago here which might help you in your decision:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...-black-fs.html
Old 07-11-2015, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
You guys act like matte paint just shows up and is impossible... It gets on the car somehow, so if you want it fixed bad enough it can be done. Sure, you may end up having to redo a portion of the car and not just the chip, but still, it's not impossible.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by rage2
There is no such thing as chip repair for matte paint. I'm the same OCD as you, that's why I wrap my cars right off the lot.

Matte paint is not easy to deal with on repairs, no touch up paint will work, it looks really bad. You can't spot paint or blend, so you have to repaint the entire panel to really fix it. There's also very few shops that can do it properly, as repainting a panel often ends up with that panel not matching anything else.

If you're that bad with your OCD, skip this car and wait for a non matte car. I'm OCD, love matte cars, but I went matte by getting a metallic color and clear matte film over the entire car, which is 1000000x easier to maintain. I talked about the pros and cons of different Matte options a couple years ago here which might help you in your decision:

My plan was to fill the chips so that at least there was silver color in them and then cover the majority of the car with Matt Xpel clear shield and not worry anymore

Not sure why a tiny bit of factory touch up in the chip would be bad if it didn't over fill on the surrounding undamaged paint.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by saildoc
Rather than a critique of my OCD type A personality re car detailing and finish care (I know I have a problem) I was looking for thoughts on touching up those chips. I will respectfully disagree with those that say you have to have chips if you want to drive your car. I have had three new cars since 2009 (M3, Cayman R, C63) all got the front ends wrapped with XPEL, none had any paint damage after three years. Stuff happens I know that you can't prevent. My cars are not garage queens they get driven hard and often. My family SUV hasn't been even washed in 4 years, can't tell you how many chips are on that one. I don't care. Looking at spending nearly $90K on a three year old car makes me a little anxious and other than the chips I showed it looks clean. Thinking about chip repair I think if I really carefully fill just the chip and don't get any on the surrounding paint it should be ok. Since it looks like I am getting this car I will update this post with the results of my chip repair. Thanks all, and peace...
Not possible to be OCD and have a SUV that hasn't been washed in 4 years.

Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 07-11-2015, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
I have the matte paint and 3 or 4 chips over the car but there was a scratch on the rear bumper about 1/4" and it was touched up. Can't notice it unless it's up close. You can get the touch up for specific matte colors from MB.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Not possible to be OCD and have a SUV that hasn't been washed in 4 years.

Sorry, couldn't resist
We get a lot of rain storms in Oklahoma, I let nature do it for me
Old 07-11-2015, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
don't buy it. that's too much damage
Old 07-11-2015, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by dchl21
don't buy it. that's too much damage
Have my babies.

Interesting, nice to know MB will sell you matte touch up paint.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by saildoc
Not sure why a tiny bit of factory touch up in the chip would be bad if it didn't over fill on the surrounding undamaged paint.
To me, touch up on a matte car looks terrible. But I'm really **** about it so YMMV. Maybe you're not that OCD after all haha.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by rage2

Where in Calgary did you go for the vinyl work?
Old 07-12-2015, 05:47 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Really? It's a 2012 car that has been on the road and you're worried about those two nicks in the paint? 2-3mm chips and two of them?

If that is what you find "wrong" with the car, buy it. There are brand new cars that just roll off the delivery trucks with more chips and swirls etc in the paint than that.

Just talk to the dealer about the process for repainting if you absolutely have to have a 3 year old car that looks like it has been vacuum sealed.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
You have to repaint on any quality paint job. Someone took a knife about four inches below passenger door handle and scratched through the clear.
It's black. 400.00 to fix the paint and reclear the whole door. there's two coats of color and two coats of clear.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by GQsmooth
Where in Calgary did you go for the vinyl work?
I use Shadow Tinting.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Agree with Wolfman,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: About to pull trigger in C63 BS scared of paint