C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 exhaust. Akrapovic or Armytrix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
C63 exhaust. Akrapovic or Armytrix

Hi I m a new 2012 c63 owner from Hong Kong. I m fluctuate to choose for a new exhaust on my c63.

Have three options now

Akrapovic slip on
Akrapovic evolution
Armytrix

Personally i love the brand of AK more and the tip looks noce to me. But heard someone said there is no big difference between the stock one, maybe only 30 percent louder.

Armytrix seems quite nice too and it can choose to open the valves by apps...

Anyone who has experience here can give me aome comments? Thanks very much.

Terry
Old 07-15-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Range Rover Sport, 2012 C63 Coupe P31
If I had to choose between those two brands I would go with the Armytrix. The Akrapovic is beautifully made but having the ability to adjust the sound, to me, was very important.

I had to make the same choice recently and went with IPE because their set includes headers whereas Armytrix's does not. The system is a work of art both physically and acoustically. I couldn't be happier.

Another option to consider is the FI exhaust. http://www.fi-exhaust.com/

Last edited by unruin; 07-15-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Range Rover Sport, 2012 C63 Coupe P31
Also, I recommend watching some videos on YouTube. You can find a lot of C63s with IPE but not so many of Armytrix, which was a concern of mine.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Not sure what your intentions are for removing the exhaust (if you are trying to get louder, just like other style exhausts or want a diff sound) but, if you are wanting it just to be louder, a secondary cat removal and put straights in will do the trick also.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dreams
akrapovic won't be that much louder than stock, if not quieter. however, the sound signature completely changes and its unlike any other exhaust i've heard. kind of like muffled screams if that makes sense. will be up to personal taste. you'll want headers though to really make it scream. plenty of videos available for that. armytrix sounds pretty good (way better than IPE imo) but i hate the name and don't trust the taiwanese companies too much.

Last edited by dcho; 07-15-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:04 AM

C63
Now my mechanic recommend me to put a X pipe to replace the resonator (keep the secondary cat as it may not pass the MOT if removing the sec cat in here)

Any comment on this mod?i would love to remove the sec cat but mechanics didnt suggest me to do so...
Old 07-16-2015, 04:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by dcho
akrapovic won't be that much louder than stock, if not quieter. however, the sound signature completely changes and its unlike any other exhaust i've heard. kind of like muffled screams if that makes sense. will be up to personal taste. you'll want headers though to really make it scream. plenty of videos available for that. armytrix sounds pretty good (way better than IPE imo) but i hate the name and don't trust the taiwanese companies too much.
I thought Armytrix was an American company..? I know IPE is based in Taiwan, their products are not bad.

I would go Armytrix over Akrapovic any day... Theres no competition in sound although Akrapovic quality is up there in how well the exhausts are made.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:22 AM

C63
just took back the car ... I found the pick up seems a bit better.
But the sound isnt loud enough LOL

I replaced the resonator with the X pipe.. should I replace the sec cat with straight pipe as well?? though that may be much hassle when I need to pass the MOT few years after in here..
Old 07-16-2015, 08:25 AM

dreams
Originally Posted by AMGPower88
I thought Armytrix was an American company..? I know IPE is based in Taiwan, their products are not bad.

I would go Armytrix over Akrapovic any day... Theres no competition in sound although Akrapovic quality is up there in how well the exhausts are made.
haha I saw suspicious engrish in their literature and media then dug a little farther to confirm that they are TW based. I think them and IPE both make quality products but still lag behind the akrapovics and eisenmanns in terms of R&D.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:57 AM

C63
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
Not sure what your intentions are for removing the exhaust (if you are trying to get louder, just like other style exhausts or want a diff sound) but, if you are wanting it just to be louder, a secondary cat removal and put straights in will do the trick also.
May i ask whats the difference if i put the straight pipe to replace the secondary cat and x pipe to replace the resonator? Is this setting correct?

Coz today i put the x pipe to replace the resonators already but i am not satisfied...i decided to take off the secondary cat tomorrow as well with two straight pipe...
But i heard what people do is replace the secondary cat with x pipe and resonators with straight pipe...

May i know whats the difference and which should i do?

Thanks so much!!!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
C63AMG Coupe 507, GL X166
Upload pictures when you make your exhaust...
I have Akrapovic slip-on and i think remove second cats too.

Last edited by Alex-r-1; 07-16-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Terry Tse
May i ask whats the difference if i put the straight pipe to replace the secondary cat and x pipe to replace the resonator? Is this setting correct?

Coz today i put the x pipe to replace the resonators already but i am not satisfied...i decided to take off the secondary cat tomorrow as well with two straight pipe...
But i heard what people do is replace the secondary cat with x pipe and resonators with straight pipe...

May i know whats the difference and which should i do?

Thanks so much!!!
This is a good read about it https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...info-noob.html. It gets more clear the longer you read lol.

Last edited by INS1GNIA; 07-16-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:45 AM

C63
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
This is a good read about it https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...info-noob.html. It gets more clear the longer you read lol.

Thanks. I think i am getting a bit clear now after reading those.

So i will change the secondary cat with straighy pipe tomorrow. Should i leave the x pipe there or just put back the resonators?? Though it sounds so stupid...
Old 07-16-2015, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 C63 AMG P31
Then after the work done n i found there is nearly no difference on the loudness. But it seems a bit higher pitch then before which I dont feel very happy. So tomorrow i m gonna take off the secondary cat by putting on straight pipes. So the question is:
Should I leave the x pipe on or what should i do? I want louder and i love AMG bark sound and deeper sound... Many thanks!!
Removing the resonator will give you more of a raspy noise...some like it (personally it's too much for me). If you remove both the resonator and sec cats, most describe it as "obnoxiously loud" and too raspy.

I would say put the resonator back on and remove the sec cats and put straight pipes to keep that AMG bark. It will make it louder without losing the AMG tone.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:58 PM

dreams
have you considered the eisenmann race system? if you really are looking to retain the signature AMG growl but go louder, that's what i'd recommend. its the route i went after sampling all the exhausts out there and having an unsatisfactory experience with a resonator delete. it drones though.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:02 AM

C63
What if i replace the sec cat with straight and then a custom h pipe (1.5 inches connentor) to replace the resonator? Just like the thread someone did before?
Old 07-17-2015, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 C63 AMG P31
What if i replace the sec cat with straight and then a custom h pipe (1.5 inches connentor) to replace the resonator? Just like the thread someone did before?
If you mess with the resonator at all, it will change the sound. Using an x-pipe or h-pipe for the resonator won't be as drastic as straights but still noticeable.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:30 AM

C63
I tried straight pipe + x pipe now.
The sound is not bad to me. No drone, a bit loud and high pitch. But no bark.

Now trying the straight + h pipe. Waiting for the exhaust shop to finish the work.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:21 AM

C63
finally I will stick with the straight pipe + H pipe for awhile .. I did it based on the the post before from another member here. Result : loud when high rev with AMG bark, growl and deep tone, some backfire, performance not much change to stocks. Sound has no difference when cruising.

The X pipe has significant improve on the torque. It sounds higher pitch, nearly zero bark, no backfire sound but it sounds smooth and nice too, imo it sounds like F1 but no AMG signature sound.

I will keep on the setting for two weeks and see whether I will go back to X pipe or anything.

Thanks so much to the reply here!
Old 07-17-2015, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 C63 AMG P31
That's awesome, try each one till you like it.. can't beat that Best of luck and post some sound clips whenever you finally get set on the final set-up!
Old 07-30-2015, 01:33 PM

C63

Two straight to replace the 2nd cat

Custom H pipe to replace the resonator<br/>

Old 07-30-2015, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 C63 AMG P31
Is that your final setup? How do you like it?
Old 07-30-2015, 01:54 PM

C63
After testing this setup for 2 weeks.

I find i love the sound of the setting much. It is raw, deep with amg bark while aggressive driving but sounds gentle to me when it is cruising. But when it cold starts in the morning, i have to wait till no one walk around the car park. It sounds really loud!

But i find the car seems losing a bit torque then before...dont know that is my illusion or what..but it just feels slower than before expecially kicks down from low rev. When i need to take over the other car and press on the gas paddle, now it seems my car needs to think for awhile and the power is not coming as fast as before. In overall, i feel its slower than the stock, maybe there is not enough back pressure? Anyone can tell? Or maybe its just my illusion...
Old 07-30-2015, 02:07 PM

C63

Or go back to x pipe????
Old 07-31-2015, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
Keep the straight pipes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 exhaust. Akrapovic or Armytrix