C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Discount Tire won't sell me tires because I have 19" wheels. *RANT*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Two weeks ago, I went to my local Discount Tire to order a complete set of new tires for my 19" Kleemann wheels. Went there today to have them installed and they tell me that they cannot sell me the front tires because the load rating on the ones I have are 91 which is below that of the 18" load rating spec. I told them that Mercedes also sell a 19" wheel option. They said I do not have the Supplemental label on the pillar. I asked them what does their computer show for a load rating on a front 19" wheel on a C63 and he says, "91," which is the same as what I am buying. They still can't sell me the front tires because I do not have the sticker. No one makes a load rating higher than 91 for a 235/35/19.

Due to our sue happy environment, this is what it has come down to.

I ended up getting it taken care of by a local shop instead.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
I'm pretty sure you ran into this problem because Discount Tire, as an organization, is incompetent. I've never had a problem working with Tire Rack. Be thrilled that this happened and that you went elsewhere.

I have avoided Discount Tire like the plague for years. The last two times I did business with them, they mounted one of wider rear wheels/tires up front (car had a staggered setup). Obviously I noticed this before leaving.

Furthermore, they gouged several of my wheels, scratched my paint (ruining a recent detail), and LOST the OEM center caps. They didn't even bother replacing the center caps either. I got the car back with empty spaces where the caps should've been. I had to ask WTF happened to the center caps.

Never again.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
ive never had a real issue with DT in the numerous years of buying tires there, maybe the shops ive been to were slightly better than normal.

The one problem i ever had was when they sold me tires that were all season in the rear with summer sports up front (these were all they had instock for the rear) and it made the handling awful but they ordered me the pss i decided id rather have for no extra charge and swapped them out.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by rentzington
ive never had a real issue with DT in the numerous years of buying tires there, maybe the shops ive been to were slightly better than normal.

The one problem i ever had was when they sold me tires that were all season in the rear with summer sports up front (these were all they had instock for the rear) and it made the handling awful but they ordered me the pss i decided id rather have for no extra charge and swapped them out.
You lucked out man. Glad to hear it. It all comes down to the quality of employees working at a particular location and I know for a fact that at one point, the standards for employment weren't very high.

My buddy has a friend that worked there at one point. He knew zero about cars (including tires and wheels) and was removing/installing tires from/on expensive forged wheels on day 1 of employment. The horror stories that were relayed to me will haunt my dreams for eternity.

My bad experience, coupled with these cautionary tales, made me decide to leave all future wheel/tire work to seriously good/specialty independent shops or in a pinch, the dealer.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX

Sue happy indeed. I had one tire shop not sell me a certain tire because of the speed rating. I told him I have no plans to drive over 150 mph. Ended up going somewhere else.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by rentzington
ive never had a real issue with DT in the numerous years of buying tires there, maybe the shops ive been to were slightly better than normal. .
I've probably spent close to $30K at the local Discount Tire franchise. I've been a very satisfied customer for a very long time. The managers seem to hire gearhead kids and I've never had any problems with them.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by zcct04
I've probably spent close to $30K at the local Discount Tire franchise. I've been a very satisfied customer for a very long time. The managers seem to hire gearhead kids and I've never had any problems with them.
The "gearhead" will understand. This guy was being overly cautious. He understood that it falls within the 19"spec. Both Discount Tire and Tire Rack's website lists the "optional" 19" fitment tire(s) and the one I bought was one of them.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03' CLK500
Originally Posted by zibby43
I'm pretty sure you ran into this problem because Discount Tire, as an organization, is incompetent. I've never had a problem working with Tire Rack. Be thrilled that this happened and that you went elsewhere...

Never again.

Last time I went there they put hammer on wheel weights on the inside of the wheels which I noticed making a machine gun sound whacking against the struts as soon as I tried to leave the parking lot. Idiots. I had to explain to them about stick on weights...
Old 08-19-2015, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
I've run into they won't put anything but stock size tires on the sticker on vehicles.
last time was on the F150, a few years ago.
If someone puts a economatic tire on a GTs and proceeds to bomb down the Interstate at the car's design limits and the tire explodes, they will be held liable.
Thy can't reason so they stick to what the labels say.
Just about all shops have damaged my forged wheels on the truck. You can stand right there and tell them no and they won't listen until you demand a new wheel.
They have said they don;t have time and other junk. I leave then.
This is the reason I stick to the Dealer. So far everything is fine.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Need to update thread title...

Originally Posted by New Thread Title
Discount Tire won't bypass safety regulation. *RANT*