C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Michelin pss alternatives (black series)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 C63 AMG (sold), 2006 M3 (sold)
Michelin pss alternatives (black series)

I received a phone call last night from my local tuning shop letting me know that the Michelin pss is badly back ordered and when my new HRE wheels come to Japan the rubber most likely won't be available.

Just wondering what other reccomendations other 'spirited' drivers have. Most likely I will have to choose a different tire because already waiting a month and a half for the HRE's is hard to do and they don't have an idea when they can get the mpss but could take months and months. Very excited for my new wheels!

Another question I had for other black series owners, do you have a clear sticker like film on your rear fenders? Anyone take it off? I assume it's to prevent rock chips since the fenders are quite wide. It would look better off but I don't want to take it off if that area is a magnet for chips.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Continental DWs! Put them on mine
Old 09-24-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by VaclavSV
Continental DWs! Put them on mine
I've heard they aren't as good as the mpss, have you used both tires and did you notice a significant difference? Seeing as I might not have a choice, the dws are most likely what I was going to do anyway.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-24-2015, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have used both! There are VERY close to PSS and much better in the rain! Obviously not as good as r-comps but I have nothing but good things to say about the DWs except for maybe that the sidewall is a little small but it doesnt really affect performance.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by VaclavSV
I have used both! There are VERY close to PSS and much better in the rain! Obviously not as good as r-comps but I have nothing but good things to say about the DWs except for maybe that the sidewall is a little small but it doesnt really affect performance.
Ok that's really great to hear, thank you very much!
Old 09-25-2015, 12:47 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
I was also thinking of Conti DW while reading the opening post.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
i ran conti DW on my previous car. The tries make the steering wheel very light. Never driven hard on them before i sold the car so cant tell you grip on them.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Phil Chow
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s.
Great tires but terrible wear, and expensive
Old 09-28-2015, 08:04 PM
GRP

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63
No idea how it works for Japan but for us Aussies when the $A was good it was often much cheaper to import tyres from the USA via Tireack or like. That way you get the tyre you want rather than accepting what is avaialble. From order to arrival is usually under a week.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
I always felt the stock Conti 5P really didn't cut it. But as you know, the choices for our cars is quite limited.

Today I got a new set of Pirelli P-Zeros (not corsa), and already I am seeing an improvement in traction from a standstill and when gassing around turns (the 5Ps would let go around basicly every turn I would take if I gassed it

So far I'm very happy with the P-Zeros, although they are a little stiffer then the stock Contis.

If raw dry grip is your goal, I think the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race/Pirelli Trofeo R/Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 are the no brainer options, but be aware, from my memory of Japans weather, they might not be the best choices as they aren't good at all in the cold or wet.

As for the clear film on the fenders, yes they all have that, and you are correct its for rock chips. I don't advise you take them off. I used to own a BMW with very wide fenders, and that car didn't come with the strips, and guess what my fenders looked like after a year.... an enormous amount of rock chips. Whats worse the car was black, so it looked horrible. I very much appreciate benz putting those clear pieces on the car for us Besides, the car is so angular with vents and such, they don't look out of place at all
Old 09-30-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by darkus
I always felt the stock Conti 5P really didn't cut it. But as you know, the choices for our cars is quite limited.

Today I got a new set of Pirelli P-Zeros (not corsa), and already I am seeing an improvement in traction from a standstill and when gassing around turns (the 5Ps would let go around basicly every turn I would take if I gassed it

So far I'm very happy with the P-Zeros, although they are a little stiffer then the stock Contis.

If raw dry grip is your goal, I think the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race/Pirelli Trofeo R/Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 are the no brainer options, but be aware, from my memory of Japans weather, they might not be the best choices as they aren't good at all in the cold or wet.

As for the clear film on the fenders, yes they all have that, and you are correct its for rock chips. I don't advise you take them off. I used to own a BMW with very wide fenders, and that car didn't come with the strips, and guess what my fenders looked like after a year.... an enormous amount of rock chips. Whats worse the car was black, so it looked horrible. I very much appreciate benz putting those clear pieces on the car for us Besides, the car is so angular with vents and such, they don't look out of place at all

Darkus, thx for the detailed reply, it's very informative! I'll definitely keep the clear plastic strips on the fenders, you're right you really don't notice them.

Yea my goal is pretty much dry grip since I won't drive the CBS in the rain or winter (very very rare if I do). Car only has 3000miles on it and I'll drive it in nice weather only.

I'll mention those tires to my tuning shop and see what's available if it still looks grim for the mpss. When I gas coming out of a corner, not even that hard, I feel a lot of slip. When I gas from a stand still with a slightly heavy foot I can feel spinning too. Would be great to get more grip. My last 63 had much more grip on much skinnier tires but was could grab the road a lot better.

Anyway thx again!