C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Adjuster Gone Bad After an Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 C63 Bone Stock; E36 M3 Supercharged 400WHP; X5 parts eater
^ Unless they break they wont pay to fix anything.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Gerry_M
^ Unless they break they wont pay to fix anything.
Let's say they are broken
Old 06-21-2017, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63 2006
Camshaft adjuster learning

Originally Posted by layzie12g
I'm a mechanic for a living. One of the few people on this forum who have actually done cams, lifters, and adjusters in a 156. Have your warranty cover it then.
Hi,

When the camshaft adjusters are changed and the timing is not disturbed. Do you still need to use the STAR system to go through camshaft adjuster learning process?

Thanks for your reply in advance!
Bilal
Old 11-11-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by layzie12g
I honestly do not know. I have a thread started that has explained all my experience. I was able to turn the crank 30 degrees with no rotation from the intake cams when the adjusters had failed. It did not bend valves. I replaced all the adjusters and it ran fine. There is an LI document regarding this issue as well as cam/lifter wear.

I know the noise on start is annoying, but it seems the information regarding this is limited. I thought people would have a lot of interest in this because there some guys on here that are very knowledgeable that could chime in. I have never heard of any kind of engine failure on the 156 coming from failed cam adjusters.

Can I get a piece of honest advice? I also get a ticking noise once in a while right after a cold start. Shall I consider changing my adjusters too?
Here's the ticking noise bellow. It usually ticks for a couple minutes. When I leave home and stop it and turn it on again, after whatever 5min drive, they're gone. No more noise. My car hass 23k kilometers (something around 15k miles).

Last edited by Vpatriota; 11-11-2018 at 07:53 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-12-2018, 04:23 PM
SPONSOR

Received 798 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
my engine has the same exact noise...last oil change i proceeded with Liquimoly Pro Engine Flush and followed up with Motul 8100 and Liquimoly Ceratec...it helped a lot.

that noise sadly is the camshaft adjusters from what i gather. i replaced my lifters after 20k with new lifters and the noise was still there. only after the combination listed above has it lessened or went away. i have not replaced my camshaft adjusters as of yet.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 03-14-2019, 08:58 AM

2008 E63
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
The fresh clean oil flowing through could have accelerated the inevitable.

Schrodinger's cat...
I agree, I have an 08 E63 that I just purchased a couple of months ago. Took it to my mechanic before purchase to have him inspect it and he looked at the oil and immediately said that it was definitely not mobil 1 oil. There wasn't any other red flags so I went ahead and purchased the car and changed the oil shortly after to the proper oil. Then the other day I had my check engine light come one, luckily I was just down the road from the shop and had my guy scan the car to see what the problems was. I had just had a new front bumper put on and the body shop forgot to reset the codes, ambient air temp sensor. Which didn't surprise me but what did was that there was a sensor for the oil level saying it was not at correct level ( even though I just bought the correct oil dipstick from the dealer) and there was another code for an exhaust cam adjuster. My mechanic cleared the codes and told me to not worry about it just yet but at some point there was not enough oil pressure to activate the cam adjusters, he explained that there are very tiny oil passages that can get clogged and affect how the adjuster works. He used to work for the local MB dealer as a mechanic so I value what he says. I then asked if he thought it was from whatever dumb*** that had the car before me that didn't use mobil 1 oil and then when I changed the oil to mobil 1 that it could've loosed up some gunk or debris and caused a small passage in that adjuster to get clogged momentarily. He thought that could've happened and also said that they could also be going bad, as in this guys case saying "cars break" , or just wear down over time. My E63 has 145k and still drives like a beast though. He also said that when he worked for MB they used to have the oil change intervals at 12k then were having multiple problems on multiple cars and then got the directive from the main office to change the settings when people would come in for oil changes to go from 12k to 10k without telling the customer. After he explained all that he said in his own personal cars he always changed the oil at 8k just for reasons like this that I am going through. No sense in penny pinching for a couple bucks when you could end up spending thousands later. Sorry for the long reply but I thought this was some good info I just received.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:24 AM

2009 Mercedes C63
Exact same problem as you. 1 year ago brought the car in for an oil change and that rattle on start up begins. It comes and goes, sometimes its there and sometimes its fine. 1 Year on, car still goes fine(hopefully it will be all sweet).

Did you managed to get it sorted in the end?