C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2010 c63 secondary cats Del and resonator replaced with straight pipe and h pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
2010 c63 secondary cats Del and resonator replaced with straight pipe and h pipe

Hi Guys, ive done a lot of searching and haven't been able to find an answer to my question. im looking at making the stock c63 sound louder with out a tune at this stage.

im not looking to go a full system and from what i have been told by various tuning shops no one says the same thing.

so im looking at replacing the secondary cats with straight pipes and then removing the resonators and replacing with straight pipe and a 2 1/4 h in it also. my car is stock standard and i wont be getting a tune for a few months.

does any one know what this setup will sound like im wanting to keep the c63 sound just make it louder but also want the best mod for power then the tune comes along. only reason im thinking of this idea is because 2 different tune shops said this config where as the rest all had there own idea which was different to every one else.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:52 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 C63 AMG (sold), 2006 M3 (sold)
Tons of info and clips if you try searching.

Removing the secondaries will increase the volume a little (more when u open the throttle), removing the resonator will change the pitch and volume, with both removed it will be very loud but it will not sound like the signature "amg" sound. It will sound angry, raspy, trumpety, and higher pitched. Take 10 mins and search the forum/YouTube and u will find an abundance of clips. Good luck
Old 03-30-2016, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
Originally Posted by C63amg Tokyo
Tons of info and clips if you try searching.

Removing the secondaries will increase the volume a little (more when u open the throttle), removing the resonator will change the pitch and volume, with both removed it will be very loud but it will not sound like the signature "amg" sound. It will sound angry, raspy, trumpety, and higher pitched. Take 10 mins and search the forum/YouTube and u will find an abundance of clips. Good luck
ive done alot of searching on this site and various others, and found nothing on the setup i have asked about... will the h pipe fix the raspy, trumpety, and higher pitched sound ?

euro guys are saying to not touch the resonator period and only remove secondary cats replace with h.

canada guys are saying to not touch the cats and only do the resonator without h pipe

us guys are remove secondary cats with xpipe

and Ive had about 15 different tuners give me different solutions trying telling them all what im trying to achieve

i have heard a friend 2nd cat remove and i want something louder with out losing the amg signature
Old 03-30-2016, 03:17 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 C63 AMG (sold), 2006 M3 (sold)
There are tons of links explaining, cats, headers, resonators, sound clips, keeping amg sound but louder etc. try searching with different key words in Google with mbworld at the end.

The resonator is basically a silencer, there is a small h pipe inside it. The h pipe is nesessary for back pressure so if you x-pipe the resonator it will be a smoother sound and possibly effect performance. If you remove it and h pipe it, it will be much louder but it will not sound like the amg sound you want.

Basically if you change anything with your exhaust you will lose the amg sound. The secondary delete and straight pipe are the only thing that make it nearly the same tone and slightly louder. Or a custom job, silencer h pipe in place of the resonator and straight pipe the secondaries.

Personally I hate the sound once the resonator has been removed, way too high pitched, raspy and trumpety. But some people love it.

Best set up I had was on my previous 63, long tubes, straight pipe to custom h pipe silencer and stock mufflers. Increase in power and excellent sound. I posted a clip a while ago.

Last edited by C63amg Tokyo; 03-30-2016 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old 03-30-2016, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by jarrad88
ive done alot of searching on this site and various others, and found nothing on the setup i have asked about...
Lawl, you must be terrible at searching then, check the FAQ. https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-stickies.html
I have the 2nd cat delete / straight pipes and love it currently. I would suggest doing that first, driving it around for a while, if it is not loud enough, continue on.

Headers and Exhaust
Anyone interested in American Racing Headers Group Buy?
Header Types Defined/Discussed + Photos of all C63 Headers and Manifolds
C63 Power pipe group buy thread
Header parts clarification
Exhaust info for a noob
*C63 AMG EXHAUST SOUND THREAD*
ARH Long Tube Headers/200 cell cats/x-pipe install

Originally Posted by C63amg Tokyo
There are tons of links explaining, cats, headers, resonators, sound clips, keeping amg sound but louder etc. try searching with different key words in Google with mbworld at the end.

The resonator is basically a silencer, there is a small h pipe inside it. The h pipe is nesessary for back pressure so if you x-pipe the resonator it will be a smoother sound and possibly effect performance. If you remove it and h pipe it, it will be much louder but it will not sound like the amg sound you want.

Basically if you change anything with your exhaust you will lose the amg sound. The secondary delete and straight pipe are the only thing that make it nearly the same tone and slightly louder. Or a custom job, silencer h pipe in place of the resonator and straight pipe the secondaries.

Personally I hate the sound once the resonator has been removed, way too high pitched, raspy and trumpety. But some people love it.
+1, I hate how it sounds with the resonator removed as well.

Last edited by INS1GNIA; 03-30-2016 at 04:32 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
I have the 2nd cat delete / straight pipes and love it currently. I would suggest doing that first, driving it around for a while, if it is not loud enough, continue on.
this seems to be the general consensus for the smartest move. for many, just doing the cat delete with straight pipes is enough to keep them happy.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
2006 E55
Another vote for DO NOT delete the resonator.

In my opinion, the best sounding C63s are the ones with long tubes ONLY or long tubes with deleted secondaries replaced with straights, both setups with OEM resonator and OEM mufflers. Hell, even bone stock this car sounds great.

Catless will definitely be loud - but that's fine, because C63 = racecar
The following users liked this post:
4Door63 (04-15-2020)
Old 03-30-2016, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
Lawl, you must be terrible at searching then, check the FAQ. https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-stickies.html

Headers and Exhaust
Anyone interested in American Racing Headers Group Buy?
Header Types Defined/Discussed + Photos of all C63 Headers and Manifolds
C63 Power pipe group buy thread
Header parts clarification
Exhaust info for a noob
*C63 AMG EXHAUST SOUND THREAD*
ARH Long Tube Headers/200 cell cats/x-pipe install

+1, I hate how it sounds with the resonator removed as well.
Really? That's nuts. I love the way the car sounds with straight pipes at the secondary cats and an h-pipe at the resonator.

Still super barky. Well, barky enough for me I guess.

Originally Posted by ArmoE55
Another vote for DO NOT delete the resonator.

In my opinion, the best sounding C63s are the ones with long tubes ONLY or long tubes with deleted secondaries replaced with straights, both setups with OEM resonator and OEM mufflers. Hell, even bone stock this car sounds great.

Catless will definitely be loud - but that's fine, because C63 = racecar
Long tubes sounds absolutely amazing. They make the car sound much more like an SLS.