C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Rear brake/suspension issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Rear brake/suspension issue

Whats up guys?

I searched but couldnt find another person with this issue. In the heat of summer or after spirited driving I used to get a intermittent clicking/clunk on the rear passenger side upon light braking under low speeds. Now it has become much more annoying and worrysome as it sometimes sounds like something snapping back into place. I feel like it could be a loose pad in the caliper or sway/suspension part moving? Only does it stopping at low speeds (ala parking lot) and only going forward for some reason. Occurence increases after hard driving as well.

Any ideas before I go to dealership this week?
Old 06-07-2016, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I have the same thing. Mine is pretty loud, most noticeable when I'm in my parking garage and changing from Drive to Reverse. Does yours get extra loud in the transition from forward to back? I'm sure my brakes are totally fine. I think it's the pads moving around in the caliper if I had to guess.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
I have the same thing. Mine is pretty loud, most noticeable when I'm in my parking garage and changing from Drive to Reverse. Does yours get extra loud in the transition from forward to back? I'm sure my brakes are totally fine. I think it's the pads moving around in the caliper if I had to guess.
Mine does not really do it on the transition. Or at least I havent noticed it doing it then. I noticed under very hard braking the other day though it seems more squirrely(sp?) and off so I dont know if braking force is even across the back right now.

Benz shop said they can have their AMG guy take a look for me tomorrow morning. If its just the pad floating around I am hoping swapping pads will help. If not, I wonder if its a little air in the lines or something.

Did you ever have yours checked out?
Old 06-07-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
W204 C63 P30 / C190 GT S
I had a similar noise in my previous BMW. My noise came from the brake pads slightly moving between reverse/forward.

Last edited by tphss; 06-07-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ENVē
Did you ever have yours checked out?
Nope. I tested by braking repeatedly from 150mph about 200 times - I've had 4 track days this year, and the brakes have been flawless. Switched pads to Carbotech XP12, and they still make just as much clanking noise (by the way, only the rear brakes do this) going from D to R and vice versa. I'm 95% sure it's just play in the pads, as there's nothing loose back there and the brakes work fine.

If the car is driving, braking and handling fine, I'd just chalk it up to another one of those noises we all have to just get used to.
The following users liked this post:
ENVē (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Nope. I tested by braking repeatedly from 150mph about 200 times - I've had 4 track days this year, and the brakes have been flawless. Switched pads to Carbotech XP12, and they still make just as much clanking noise (by the way, only the rear brakes do this) going from D to R and vice versa. I'm 95% sure it's just play in the pads, as there's nothing loose back there and the brakes work fine.

If the car is driving, braking and handling fine, I'd just chalk it up to another one of those noises we all have to just get used to.
Makes sense. Squealing brakes and now clacking in the rear haha. Oh well.

Im sure Benz dealer will tell me "normal play in rear" If so, at least its documented and Ill just go about my business.

Still trying to find that sponsor that was selling Porterfield pads (heard these are best balance of bite/less dust) on here for a good price so I can swap out.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ENVē
Still trying to find that sponsor that was selling Porterfield pads (heard these are best balance of bite/less dust) on here for a good price so I can swap out.
Google 'LPI Racing'. They had the lowest price last time I checked.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:17 PM

MB Foreman drove car and reproduced the sound. Said it seems to be lube in the rear right caliper may be wearing out and its just pad getting stuck and slapping back into place. Inner pad may be low as well and told me if I wanted to swap pads anyway, just do that first and have shop grease up everything and see if sound goes away. May be better than having him take everything apart just for it to be taken apart again. I told him as long as its not a safety issue Im good. He said no issue.

Good to go.

BLKROKT, thanks for the advice. Do you also say Porterfield are the best balance brake pad for our cars?