Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > C63 AMG (W204)
Boostane Octane Boost-Tried and Tested >

Boostane Octane Boost-Tried and Tested

Notices
C63 AMG (W204)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boostane Octane Boost-Tried and Tested

 
Old 01-01-2017, 12:57 PM
  #151  
Super Member
 
Savage-wp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 778
Received 102 Likes on 87 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by Mazspeed View Post
Yeah it's nasty stuff. It's magnesium based and is very corrosive. Newer systems like what we have in our cars cannot take MMT. Their are some areas around the world where they still use it as a fuel additive like China and Canada, but they keep knocking down the amount used.


Many auto makers are against the use of it because what it does to their systems.


If this product has it in there, I would avoid it like the plague.
Just out of interest, what would you use to boost octane. Toluene?
Savage-wp is offline  
Old 01-01-2017, 01:00 PM
  #152  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,635
Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by Savage-wp View Post
Just out of interest, what would you use to boost octane. Toluene?
I think with the cars he's had and has, he just uses race gas.
chrisridebike8 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Mazspeed (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 01:05 PM
  #153  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BLKROKT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,969
Received 1,282 Likes on 860 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by Savage-wp View Post
Just out of interest, what would you use to boost octane. Toluene?
Race gas

Seriously, I look at it like oil additives. There better be a shtton of information available demonstrating the benefits to the health of my engine, first and foremost, before I'm going to pour any in.

Would you purposefully put low-quality oil in your car, and then add a can of goop and think to yourself that you're doing what's best for your engine? No. You start with the absolute best base and go from there, if possible. Most would argue against oil additives for this reason - that you can't measurably improve on the best oils with a can of almost anything. And the additives that do demonstrate some benefit, are made by companies that have the resources and R&D budgets to believably make such a product, with independent tests and hard data to back it up.

This stuff doesn't pass any of those tests. Race gas is refined/designed and tested to be the highest and purest quality, with the associated performance benefit. The finest high-performance and racing oils are made by companies with infinite budgets to create those specific formulations for each specific purpose, and have truckloads of tests and data to back up the benefits. They don't just dump in a bottle of stuff and call it a day. Just like I'm not dumping a bottle of unknown stuff made by some guys in their garage in my gas tank, all because a few dyno pulls showed horsepower gains. I wouldn't think that would be enough for anyone.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 01-01-2017 at 02:04 PM.
BLKROKT is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Mazspeed (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 01:22 PM
  #154  
Junior Member
 
konstaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 42
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CL230 / 2006 Saab 9-3
Where do you get all this miss-information?

Originally Posted by Mazspeed View Post
Yeah it's nasty stuff. It's magnesium based and is very corrosive. Newer systems like what we have in our cars cannot take MMT. Their are some areas around the world where they still use it as a fuel additive like China and Canada, but they keep knocking down the amount used.


Many auto makers are against the use of it because what it does to their systems.


If this product has it in there, I would avoid it like the plague.
Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT) is a gasoline octane enhancer produced by the Afton Chemical Corporation (Afton), formerly known as the Ethyl Corporation. MMT is allowed in U.S. gasolineat a level equivalent to 1/32 grams per gallon manganese (gpg Mn).
konstaner is offline  
Old 01-01-2017, 01:27 PM
  #155  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BLKROKT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,969
Received 1,282 Likes on 860 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by konstaner View Post
Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT) is a gasoline octane enhancer produced by the Afton Chemical Corporation (Afton), formerly known as the Ethyl Corporation. MMT is allowed in U.S. gasolineat a level equivalent to 1/32 grams per gallon manganese (gpg Mn).
The INFORMATION is readily available in a number of places on the internet.

Check out BITOG threads.

It seems to be a fact that it is not often used in the US anymore, and that manufacturers have largely phased out the use of MMT. It's also an actual fact that MMT creates deposits. That's enough for me.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 01-01-2017 at 01:32 PM.
BLKROKT is offline  
Old 01-01-2017, 01:36 PM
  #156  
Junior Member
 
konstaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 42
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CL230 / 2006 Saab 9-3
But you miss-stated only Canada and China-

Originally Posted by BLKROKT View Post
The INFORMATION is readily available in a number of places on the internet.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=781023

It's a fact that manufacturers are phasing out MMT. It's also a fact that MMT creates deposits. That's enough for me.
Boy oh boy - what an attitude -- did you forget that you stated that only Canada and China allow MMT ??? Are you not aware of the fact that Canada tried to ban it but was not allowed by NAFTA? Canada spend millions trying to fight this but lost?? Even in your USA environmental legislation tried to ban it but it seems that NAFTA supersedes most of your laws placing emphasis on profits over population and environmental health.. WE'RE all in the same hopeless boat.

Last edited by konstaner; 01-01-2017 at 01:39 PM.
konstaner is offline  
Old 01-01-2017, 01:44 PM
  #157  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BLKROKT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,969
Received 1,282 Likes on 860 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by konstaner View Post
Boy oh boy - what an attitude -- did you forget that you stated that only Canada and China allow MMT ??? Are you not aware of the fact that Canada tried to ban it but was not allowed by NAFTA? Canada spend millions trying to fight this but lost?? Even in your USA environmental legislation tried to ban it but it seems that NAFTA supersedes most of your laws placing emphasis on profits over population and environmental health.. WE'RE all in the same hopeless boat.
I'm not arguing with you man, relax, no attitude. I'm just pointing out facts. I edited my post already prior to yours. What is your point exactly? Are you arguing that it's not used in the US, that it's good or bad or what? Just because it's allowed by law doesn't mean that manufacturers haven't mostly phased it out already.

Mazspeed's post was 100% factual.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 01-01-2017 at 01:53 PM.
BLKROKT is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Mazspeed (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 02:10 PM
  #158  
Junior Member
 
konstaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 42
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CL230 / 2006 Saab 9-3
All is good

Originally Posted by BLKROKT View Post
I'm not arguing with you man, relax, no attitude. I'm just pointing out facts. I edited my post already prior to yours. What is your point exactly? Are you arguing that it's not used in the US, that it's good or bad or what? Just because it's allowed by law doesn't mean that manufacturers haven't mostly phased it out already.

Mazspeed's post was 100% factual.
Just saying that it's in our gasoline ---------
Happy 2017 to all.
konstaner is offline  
Old 01-01-2017, 02:20 PM
  #159  
Super Member
 
Mazspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Los Gatos Ca
Posts: 735
Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by Savage-wp View Post
Just out of interest, what would you use to boost octane. Toluene?
As the others stated, race gas is good. In Cal I can get 100 oct out of some union 76 stations and I can either run it straight or mix it half and half with 91. I don't think our cars running in NA need more than 95 oct anyways. That's just my guess. If it was FI it might be happier with even higher oct. But since most guys are running NA C63's I can't see how anything higher than 95 would be needed for detonation kill.

Last edited by Mazspeed; 01-01-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Mazspeed is offline  
Old 01-01-2017, 02:24 PM
  #160  
Super Member
 
Mazspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Los Gatos Ca
Posts: 735
Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by konstaner View Post
Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT) is a gasoline octane enhancer produced by the Afton Chemical Corporation (Afton), formerly known as the Ethyl Corporation. MMT is allowed in U.S. gasolineat a level equivalent to 1/32 grams per gallon manganese (gpg Mn).
Yes I know. I researched this yesterday, it was also on that one posts PDF sheet.
The problem with MMT is on many levels. It's very harmful to the environment and also to your car. I don't know if "Boostane" is using this at all. But "if" it is, I would not use it.
Mazspeed is offline  
Old 01-01-2017, 02:24 PM
  #161  
Super Member
 
Mazspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Los Gatos Ca
Posts: 735
Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by konstaner View Post
Just saying that it's in our gasoline ---------
Happy 2017 to all.
It might be in yours, but it's no longer in ours.
Mazspeed is offline  
Old 01-01-2017, 02:47 PM
  #162  
Super Member
 
Savage-wp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 778
Received 102 Likes on 87 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 View Post
I think with the cars he's had and has, he just uses race gas.
Race gas is definitely the best.
Savage-wp is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boostane Octane Boost-Tried and Tested


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: