Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 AMG DP
Excessive Rolling in park

Ok Guys, I need some help here.

2012 C63 AMG Coupe.

So, the dealership found a leak in my rear axel, and it was completely replaced under warranty.

So, right after I get the car back, I notice that after stopping, the car rolls. Before, after stopping, putting in park, it never seemed to roll. it kind of "bounces" and even though I know its not a lot, its feels like a much older car that's poorly made.

i live in GA and it's mostly flat. I do not believe Ive used my E-brake more than 2 or 3 times on a driveway or whatever.

Dealership says parking post is Fine. E-Break is like new - but this rolling is so Irritating. I hate having passengers because when we stop, its really noticeable and you just don't expect that from this car.

The dealership says its working like all the other ones and its no big deal - and i hold that before they did the replacement, it stopped and Stayed stopped. and now - it doesnt.

Any helpful advice I can either arm myself to confront the shop or deal with reality would be helpful.

its bad enough that I want to get rid of the car because of it... and I Freaking Love this car...

Thanks
Old 07-28-2016, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
You make it sound like if you pull into a parking spot with a car in front of you, put it in park, you'll roll a foot forward and hit the other car...

How far are we talking? Mine will do it from time to time too, it's not a big deal
Old 07-28-2016, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by NeverSettle
its bad enough that I want to get rid of the car because of it...
Wow. I can see why you selected the user name "Never Settle". I don't recommend marriage lol.

If where you live is mostly flat, you don't even need the damn brake. If you are on a hill, there will sometimes be a small amount of roll, as in inches, for it to engage. Thats how those brakes work. Always have, whether you noticed it or not.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
100% of cars roll forward or back when u put it in "P"
Old 07-28-2016, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by NeverSettle
its bad enough that I want to get rid of the car because of it.
Thanks
A video of it happening is a must now, if it is that extreme.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:18 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
2020 AMG C63 Coupe, 2012 C63 AMG Coupe, 1989 560SL
I park on a slight incline (underground parking garage) and the car rolls back slightly after putting it in park and letting off the brake. only real solution is to use the parking brake. I use it when parking on inclines elsewhere, but at home I cant be bothered i suppose!
Old 07-28-2016, 08:32 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
Automatic transmissions have a parking pawl that engages a gear to hold the car when in park. Sometimes the pawl engages into one of the detents on the parking gear, other times it hits the top of the gear tooth. When this happens, there is a small spring that pushes the pawl into the gear, but it can't engage until the car actually rolls a little ways. If you listen carefully you will hear a click as the parking pawl engages the gear.

But you said it rolls excessively. If the car moves more than 6 inches before you hear the click and it stops the car, I'd get the car looked at.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jag F-Type V8
Originally Posted by glennhl
Automatic transmissions have a parking pawl that engages a gear to hold the car when in park. Sometimes the pawl engages into one of the detents on the parking gear, other times it hits the top of the gear tooth. When this happens, there is a small spring that pushes the pawl into the gear, but it can't engage until the car actually rolls a little ways. If you listen carefully you will hear a click as the parking pawl engages the gear.

But you said it rolls excessively. If the car moves more than 6 inches before you hear the click and it stops the car, I'd get the car looked at.
Even more so, you can actually feel it engage if you hold onto the shifter and gently (using the brakes) allow the car to roll back or forwards onto the parking pawl. You will feel it engage. I use this click feeling to gently roll onto the parking pawl before letting off the brakes completely. Unfortunately, I find the parking brake really annoying in this car compared to others and therefore never use it.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
Always engage the parking brake. Period.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by looney100
Okay!
Old 07-31-2016, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion.
I never use the parking brake. It's like wearing belt and suspenders, and it causes rotor warp if your brakes are hot. Why bother?
Old 07-31-2016, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Totally agree ^
I'd only use it if parked on a hill, which I haven't been yet and don't forsee it happening.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:37 PM

None
For me - I use it for the added safety, and - while I'm not sure if it still happens in modern vehicles - I have heard of the parking pawl damage and failure when used solely.

To quote the Wikipedia page on 'Parking Pawl':

Most vehicle manufacturers[3] and auto mechanics[4] do not recommend using the transmission's parking pawl as the sole means of securing a parked vehicle, instead recommending it should only be engaged after first applying the vehicle's parking brake. Constant use of only the parking pawl, especially when parking on a steep incline, means that driveline components, and transmission internals, are kept constantly under stress, and can cause wear and eventual failure of the parking pawl or transmission linkage. The pawl might also fail or break if the vehicle is pushed with sufficient force, if the parking brake is not firmly engaged.

I also grew up driving manual transmissions, so it's a bit of a habit. In my 20+ years of owning my own vehicle, and always using parking brakes I have never had a problem with rear brake warpage.

Last edited by looney100; 07-31-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I was a transmission engineer for a major auto mfr. I know exactly the ins and outs of the parking pawl. Does it work? Yes. Well? Very well. Regardless, I don't rely only on it, I always use the ebrake when parked. Pretty massive thought to trade in a car because you don't want to use the ebrake.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hate the taste of crow but it appears that the Mercedes engineers (or the Mercedes lawyers) agree with the belt & suspenders philosophy:

From the 2012 C63 manual:

Unintended vehicle movement can cause
serious personal injury or damage to the
vehicle or the vehicle drivetrain. To reduce
such risks, always do the following before
turning off the engine and leaving the vehicle:
  • keep your right foot on the brake pedal.
  • engage the parking brake.
  • shift the automatic transmission to park position P.

I don 't know if I can teach myself to do this in an automatic. Sigh. Thankfully Houston is pretty flat and hills are pretty rare.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
I think we could find a few things in the manual that we are supposed to do and don't, and aren't supposed to and we still do. Not using the parking brake may be the least egregious of the bunch.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:09 AM

None
Originally Posted by 604 C63
I think we could find a few things in the manual that we are supposed to do and don't, and aren't supposed to and we still do. Not using the parking brake may be the least egregious of the bunch.
In an environment when there are dozens of posts of people willing to spend insane premiums so that the fuel or lubricant they are buying for their car is 2% better than the cheaper alternative, not making use of free & simple insurance like the use of a parking brake seems silly. The cost/benefit analysis would say that there is virtually no cost to its use, but a potential for a huge safety and durability benefit if you might have been one of the unlucky few to have a failure that results in transmission damage or your vehicle rolling into something.

Last edited by looney100; 08-05-2016 at 10:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In an environment when there are dozens of posts of people willing to spend insane premiums so that the fuel or lubricant they are buying for their car is 2% better than the cheaper alternative, not making use of free & simple insurance like the use of a parking brake seems silly. The cost/benefit analysis would say that there is virtually no cost to its use, but a potential for a huge safety and durability benefit if you might have been one of the unlucky few to have a failure that results in transmission damage or your vehicle rolling into something.
I too am weighing the cost benefit and I know its wrong but I'm still landing on the other side of the decision. Maybe its because there are no serious hills here, or maybe its because I've been living in a cave, but I have never heard of a car with a 'park' function failure - the risk seems infinitesimally small. However, if I balance that against the risk of my wife hopping in the car and driving off without releasing the parking brake that has never ever been set before . . .
Old 08-05-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Originally Posted by zcct04
I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion.
I never use the parking brake. It's like wearing belt and suspenders, and it causes rotor warp if your brakes are hot. Why bother?

FYI, every Mercedes uses a mechanical drum brake inside the hat of the rear rotor for the parking brake. They do not mechanically activate the rear caliper to use the disc service brake also as the parking brake. This would appear to alleviate any concerns regarding rotor warping caused by brake pad clamping against a hot rotor.
The following users liked this post:
zcct04 (08-06-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
hes probably thinking vw/audi which use the rear caliper to engage the parking brake.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:45 PM

None
Originally Posted by zcct04
However, if I balance that against the risk of my wife hopping in the car and driving off without releasing the parking brake that has never ever been set before . . .
Definitely something worth including in the equation.

BTW, The newer MBs with the electric parking brakes engage automatically when the engine is shut off.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Ok, convinced
Old 08-08-2016, 01:09 PM

2012 C63 AMG DP
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
You make it sound like if you pull into a parking spot with a car in front of you, put it in park, you'll roll a foot forward and hit the other car...

How far are we talking? Mine will do it from time to time too, it's not a big deal
Its rolling a LOT. enough that i scraped my front lip on a parking barrier.

My question was mostly due to the fact that it did not have this behavior before the rear axle swap, and I am trying to trouble shoot what happened.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:11 PM

2012 C63 AMG DP
Originally Posted by tpliquid
100% of cars roll forward or back when u put it in "P"
Again. Yes. Ive owned many many cars.
This issue is a new development, and I understand that car roll is expected from time to time - but I wouldn't post this unless it was Excessive... as in far greater than the normal amount expected.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:14 PM

2012 C63 AMG DP
Originally Posted by glennhl

The head mechanic pointed this out. drew me a picture. I get how the gear works with the parking post.

My greater concern here is that it did not do it the 6 months before the shop replaced a rear axle and it has done it daily since.