C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Help interpreting this service record. Does he have Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Help interpreting this service record. Does he have Extended Warranty?

I have some confusion and doubts towards whether the seller is being honest regarding the extended warranty.

I texted the previous owner, who said that he didnt buy extended warranty and that he sold the car before his warranty expired. So this must mean that the current owner bought the car, and put the warranty on it between this service date (Jan 28, 2016) and expiration of original warranty (Jan 30, 2016)

Here is the service report from a couple days before the original warranty expiration:

Help interpreting this service record. Does he have Extended Warranty?-uy4refw.png

Looks like he got an inspection, but thats it right? But the second red circle indicates that there was work done under CLAIM TYPE: ELW. So does that mean at that point, it already had ELW?

Any help?
Old 05-04-2017, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
If the original owner wants to extend the warranty on a car s/he has owned from new for an additional year or two at some predetermined cost and they choose to add said limited warranty extension AFTER the first year of ownership (i.e. more than a year after the vehicle was put in service), there is an inspection that the dealership performs at a fee. That is what the ELW Inspection on line 1 in the invoice is for - the extended limited warranty inspection. The dealership will generally allow the purchase of an ELW if the vehicle is in good shape, but simply because one paid for the ELW inspection it does not necessarily follow that the ELW itself was actually purchased, and even if it was, on a C63 the first additional year was $1,500 and the second (drivetrain only) was another $5K on top, so based on those dates I suspect that the original purchaser may have added a year three days before the original 4-year warranty ran out in order to get some extra work done. Unless they bought the two-year option and spent $6.5K, even the extended warranty expired on January 30, 2017.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
P.S. MB Thornhill is a corporate store. All you have to do is call the service department at any of the six corporate stores in the GTA, give them the VIN of the vehicle (shown) and they will tell yoiu if there is any warranty on the vehicle. Better yet, call MB Thornhill at the number on the invoice, ask to speak with the service advisor (Deen), give him the VIN and ask him directly.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by NotABaller
I have some confusion and doubts towards whether the seller is being honest regarding the extended warranty.

. . .

Looks like he got an inspection, but thats it right? But the second red circle indicates that there was work done under CLAIM TYPE: ELW. So does that mean at that point, it already had ELW?

Any help?
I think the second red circled item simply "indexes" (i.e. categorizes for easier historical search later) the TYPE of work that the $296 charge was for. The categorization of parts and/or labor charges makes it possible for a computerized system to correctly split total billings into, for example, customer paid versus warranty paid versus dealership absorbed.

This does NOT prove or even suggest that any other extended warranty work beyond the inspection was done.

Who paid the $296? It is possible that the owner was asked to pay for the inspection that would qualify the car for extended warranty, but it is also possible that the dealership absorbed the inspection cost, and that the time was recorded and had a dollar value put on it merely to show the owner that he got a "$296 inspection" for free.

It is also possible that the inspection was done, that the owner was then given a quote for the extended warranty, and he declined the warranty when he heard the price and instead sold the car, OR that he bought the warranty. This invoice by itself does not show the outcomes.

Jim G
Old 05-09-2017, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Owner paid half, $148, in cash. Second row of information. Just under the blacked out plate number and the odometer reading.

Several variables possible. I suspect he has an aftermarket extended warranty, and his share of what was done is half. Just call dealer direct. But make sure that you get confirmation that the Warranty is fully transferable. MBs own extended warranties are not, and are regarded as fully funded on day of purchase. If you total the car or sell it, there is no transferred allowed or pro-rated refund available.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No - that $148.00 there is their hourly rate. There's nothing there to indicate how much the owner paid.

As I already stated, the extra year would have expired in January (and it is highly unlikely that someone would buy an engine & transmission only warranty for year 6 for an extra $5K on top).
Old 05-09-2017, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Diabolis
No - that $148.00 there is their hourly rate. There's nothing there to indicate how much the owner paid.

As I already stated, the extra year would have expired in January (and it is highly unlikely that someone would buy an engine & transmission only warranty for year 6 for an extra $5K on top).
Gotcha.

I looked on my shop invoices and that exact same square says "rate" and $148 also. Labelling it that makes more sense to me. Bet Thornhill gets asked about that a lot when people look it over later.
My extra year of power train was $500. Not sure that's a good bet. But for the peace of mind it was worth it.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:21 AM

2012 C63, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Gotcha.

I looked on my shop invoices and that exact same square says "rate" and $148 also. Labelling it that makes more sense to me. Bet Thornhill gets asked about that a lot when people look it over later.
My extra year of power train was $500. Not sure that's a good bet. But for the peace of mind it was worth it.

Thanks for the analysis. Car had a $40k accident on it a few years ago so I walked away from the deal. Apparently he sold it to a dealership employee for 38k
Old 05-09-2017, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by NotABaller
Thanks for the analysis. Car had a $40k accident on it a few years ago so I walked away from the deal. Apparently he sold it to a dealership employee for 38k
40k?!?!!

How was that not written off? When you look at the salvage value on that I don't see how those numbers compute. My first one was written off when they got to about 30 or so. And some poor sap paid 38? Damn.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:42 AM

2012 C63, 2014 E550
40k?!?!!

How was that not written off? When you look at the salvage value on that I don't see how those numbers compute. My first one was written off when they got to about 30 or so. And some poor sap paid 38? Damn.
Poor sap was an employee at MB dealership too. I called them to confirm this because it was so unbelievable, and yes they confirmed it.

I think the repair was $30k, total payout was $40k. Car was hit in the back. And all the service records he supplied me showed issues with the rear. Rear right light this, rear left that, trunk won't open (showed up repeadetly). Then I got the carproof, saw the rear accident, and it all made sense.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
40k?!?!!

Doesn't surprise me D.
My late wife got nailed by a kid in his mom's Accord doing 80k and ran 2 reds to do it. He hit the 2003 W211 E320 just clipping the front side of the left front tire. Mom's car was a wipe out while the front of the E was gone over to the right front headlight.
The rail extension on the left side was bent 1/2" but the right was OK. Cosmetically it was just ugly and a lot of stuff under the hood was busted as well
Parts were $22000 because I insisted OEM if they insisted they were going to fix it and they did. Headlights alone were $4500 for the pair. The hood had to be replaced as did the rad AC evaporator and all that type of stuff. Air bags went off including in the headliner. They had to remove the rear window to deal with that which messed up the wiring harness at $900. The list went on and on including the labels on the cross members, rad etc. It was dumb of them to do it but their call.
Would I do it again? Nope! Brought that car west and the dealers jumped all over that accident as reasons to devalue it. I had to sell it privately but I was open and showed the paperwork including the alignment data and got $4000 more than offered at trade but it was a hassle I did not need.
The good new in all of this was that inspite of a huge hit that spun the car she walked away unscratched and that is what counted in the end.
So not surprised at $40K. Doesn't seem to have any common sense to it but then again common sense is not all that common at times. The car was worth more than the repair as parts.