Retrofitting Morimoto D2S 4.0 on Eagle Eyes Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,849 Likes on 1,680 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by jptaylor
....don't let it scare you....by and large all of the "important" stuff is good ol'12v....but I believe that some of the diagnostic stuff that is reported back to the SAMs is handled via Can....trust me, it is not rocket science and actually quite easy once you get INSIDE the headlight....it will ALL make sense then, I promise
I finally finished my lights, plugged it in, and promptly fried my passenger side SAM and gave up again. Looking for a project JP?
Old 10-27-2017, 12:04 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
All you've got to do is send them to me my Friend, I'll sort them out and send them back
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
I finally finished my lights, plugged it in, and promptly fried my passenger side SAM and gave up again. Looking for a project JP?
Wait -- how and why did the SAM fry?

Edit: Also, what exactly did you do? Per your post above, you just had a set of regular DEPO's that you retrofitted projectors in right? If so, how is that any different from the DEPO's (I believe) you're running now from an electrical standpoint? Just trying to figure out the delta between your regular DEPO's and your retrofitted set.

Last edited by AMG3.2; 10-27-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

All you've got to do is send them to me my Friend, I'll sort them out and send them back
That’s amazing because I’m stumped and don’t want to fry the right side as well. I’ll PM you and we can figure out an appropriate payment or barter. Really need your expertise, and I think you’ll be suitably horrified by my work! I called Lightwerkz a few weeks ago and they wouldn’t even touch them since they had already been worked on.

Originally Posted by AMG3.2
Wait -- how and why did the SAM fry?

Edit: Also, what exactly did you do? Per your post above, you just had a set of regular DEPO's that you retrofitted projectors in right? If so, how is that any different from the DEPO's (I believe) you're running now from an electrical standpoint? Just trying to figure out the delta between your regular DEPO's and your retrofitted set.
Beats me. All I know is that I plugged in the passenger side, turned on the switch, and heard a loud pop and the lights never turned on. Now the light that was there doesn’t work either. Since there’s no fuse for our lights, I guess that I fried the SAM on that side.

Delta is that electrical just isn’t my thing, and I must have messed up the wiring somewhere. I used the DEPO shells for their halogen projector version, so it’s possible that however it’s wired up internally just isn’t compatible with my bi-xenon projectors. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 10-27-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
That’s amazing because I’m stumped and don’t want to fry the right side as well. I’ll PM you and we can figure out an appropriate payment or barter. Really need your expertise, and I think you’ll be suitably horrified by my work! I called Lightwerkz a few weeks ago and they wouldn’t even touch them since they had already been worked on.

Beats me. All I know is that I plugged in the passenger side, turned on the switch, and heard a loud pop and the lights never turned on. Now the light that was there doesn’t work either. Since there’s no fuse for our lights, I guess that I fried the SAM on that side.

Delta is that electrical just isn’t my thing, and I must have messed up the wiring somewhere. I used the DEPO shells for their halogen projector version, so it’s possible that however it’s wired up internally just isn’t compatible with my bi-xenon projectors. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sounds like a plan my Friend....but let me ask you this...in the meantime are you driving with just one functioning headlight? also, is it ALL lighting in that assembly or ONLY the projector(ie, do parking/turn signals still work)?
Old 10-27-2017, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like a plan my Friend....but let me ask you this...in the meantime are you driving with just one functioning headlight? also, is it ALL lighting in that assembly or ONLY the projector(ie, do parking/turn signals still work)?
Yes, exactly. I’ve been trying not to drive at night. I’m stupid like that. Don’t drive my car regularly or rely on it day-to-day so it’s not a big deal.

The only thing that doesn’t work on that side is the projector - not my botched job, or my previously working modified fishcake light that was in there (just did Morimoto ballasts and bulbs previously, didn’t touch the projectors last time). The LED “C” and turn signal works. Like I said.... stumped. I would have thought that a fried SAM would take out that whole side, but since there doesn’t appear to be a fuse for the headlights, I’m not sure what else that pop was or could otherwise be going on.... Maybe I’ll check the fuses again, but I didn’t see any problems before.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 10-27-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Yes, exactly. I’ve been trying not to drive at night. I’m stupid like that. Don’t drive my car regularly or rely on it day-to-day so it’s not a big deal.

The only thing that doesn’t work on that side is the projector - not my botched job, or my previously working modified fishcake light that was in there (just did Morimoto ballasts and bulbs previously, didn’t touch the projectors last time). The LED “C” and turn signal works. Like I said.... stumped. I would have thought that a fried SAM would take out that whole side, but since there doesn’t appear to be a fuse for the headlights, I’m not sure what else that pop was or could otherwise be going on.... Maybe I’ll check the fuses again, but I didn’t see any problems before.
That's strange... but I'm still trying to figure out what you did differently.

So in scenario 1: You had your previously working fishcake light with Morimoto ballast and bulbs
In scenario 2: You retrofitted the projector into the same type of DEPO housing? If so, the only wiring that would touch that would be the cutoff shield solenoid right?
Old 10-27-2017, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's strange... but I'm still trying to figure out what you did differently.

So in scenario 1: You had your previously working fishcake light with Morimoto ballast and bulbs
In scenario 2: You retrofitted the projector into the same type of DEPO housing? If so, the only wiring that would touch that would be the cutoff shield solenoid right?
1. Yes. Fishcake takes DEPO housings, and installs either halogen projectors or HID projectors per order. My previous housing which is cracked, was ordered as an HID, so was already fitted with that projector and wired for ballast/canbus. I wasn’t happy with the output, so I upgraded to a 55W Morimoto ballast and bulbs from TRS and installed. Better but not very good.

2. Not exactly. I mistakenly ordered the DEPO halogen version, but figured the wiring would be the same as the DEPO bi-xenon version I have now. Housings are generally the same (prob a bit more work to fit the D2S projector in this new housing, as it was halogen-specific to begin with and not already modified to fit a bi-xenon projector), but different wiring. Wiring for flash-to-pass and the LED “C” and blinker are the same, but the low and high beam wiring takes some different paths and goes through some sort of sealed junction box. Shouldn’t make a difference if you can figure out what all the wires are for, which I have, but clearly I got something wrong in there. Wires for a halogen projector with shield should be the same as the D2S. I’ve checked and rechecked and just can’t figure it out.

It’s tough to explain if you don’t see them side by side. Did that make sense?
Old 10-27-2017, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
1. Yes. Fishcake takes DEPO housings, and installs either halogen projectors or HID projectors per order. My previous housing which is cracked, was ordered as an HID, so was already fitted with that projector and wired for ballast/canbus. I wasn’t happy with the output, so I upgraded to a 55W Morimoto ballast and bulbs from TRS and installed. Better but not very good.

2. Not exactly. I mistakenly ordered the DEPO halogen version, but figured the wiring would be the same as the DEPO bi-xenon version I have now. Housings are generally the same (prob a bit more work to fit the D2S projector in this new housing, as it was halogen-specific to begin with and not already modified to fit a bi-xenon projector), but different wiring. Wiring for flash-to-pass and the LED “C” and blinker are the same, but the low and high beam wiring takes some different paths and goes through some sort of sealed junction box. Shouldn’t make a difference if you can figure out what all the wires are for, which I have, but clearly I got something wrong in there. Wires for a halogen projector with shield should be the same as the D2S. I’ve checked and rechecked and just can’t figure it out.

It’s tough to explain if you don’t see them side by side. Did that make sense?
Got it -- so something with the low beam and high beam wiring went off the rails. I wonder if something didn't ground correctly... Or if you switched the low beam and the high beam wires? Honestly, until I get in there and see it, I'm just trying to think out loud.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Jumped into this project today. It's a ton of work, but with the tremendous help of jptaylor, I've been able to get pretty far.

Pics of the progress below:

Baked the headlights at 220F for 10 mins and was able to pull the light apart.
Retrofitting Morimoto D2S 4.0 on Eagle Eyes Headlights-i70euob.jpg

Headlight internal with old projector. The green and grey wires shown in this picture are the turn signal wires. They correlate to the black and green (+) and the brown wire (-) on the car's factory harness.

Retrofitting Morimoto D2S 4.0 on Eagle Eyes Headlights-llsxcbk.jpg

From here, you'll see red, blue, and a grey wire. The red and blue wires correlate to the thin grey wires on the factory harness. Grey is ground. The other end of this cable plugs into the internal LED's in the headlamp.

Retrofitting Morimoto D2S 4.0 on Eagle Eyes Headlights-yrwxfyd.jpg

Wired things up and tested with a 9V battery. (JP's tips and tricks)

Retrofitting Morimoto D2S 4.0 on Eagle Eyes Headlights-t9drnxb.jpg

Wired them up temporarily to make sure the LED's and blinker was working. You can see the retrofitted Morimoto projector in the image below. It was actually quite easy to retrofit after some trimming with a dremel.

Retrofitting Morimoto D2S 4.0 on Eagle Eyes Headlights-bzvd5ro.jpg
Old 02-07-2018, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C300 4-Matic Sport W204
Hey AMG3.2 nice work on the headlights just wondering what is the type of led/smd being used for the C-Light itself. Appreciate the feedback!
Old 02-07-2018, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by MercBenzo
Hey AMG3.2 nice work on the headlights just wondering what is the type of led/smd being used for the C-Light itself. Appreciate the feedback!
Thanks, but unfortunately, I don't know. They came with the Eagle Eyes themselves.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
09 C63, 04 CTS-V (just sold), 06 325, 15 500e, 96 NPR, 05 C172
Jumped into this project today. It's a ton of work, but with the tremendous help of jptaylor, I've been able to get pretty far.

Pics of the progress below:

Baked the headlights at 220F for 10 mins and was able to pull the light apart.

Headlight internal with old projector. The green and grey wires shown in this picture are the turn signal wires. They correlate to the black and green (+) and the brown wire (-) on the car's factory harness.

From here, you'll see red, blue, and a grey wire. The red and blue wires correlate to the thin grey wires on the factory harness. Grey is ground. The other end of this cable plugs into the internal LED's in the headlamp.

Wired things up and tested with a 9V battery. (JP's tips and tricks)

Wired them up temporarily to make sure the LED's and blinker was working. You can see the retrofitted Morimoto projector in the image below. It was actually quite easy to retrofit after some trimming with a dremel.

No CANBUS errors?
Old 02-07-2018, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by m3driver
No CANBUS errors?
I did have some, but I wired resistors.

More pictures of the end results here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...d-journal.html