C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Getting a high speed vibration in steering and chassis which dealer can't diagnose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
Getting a high speed vibration in steering and chassis which dealer can't diagnose

I get a high speed vibration which my dealer simply isn't able to diagnose and fix.

Theyve balaced the wheels and say there is no bend.

Weve changed the control arm/thrust arm on the side I think it's coming from.

the vibration is always worst in the mornings when it's cooler. During mid day when he shops are actually looking at it its nearly gone.

Im at a loss since I can't tell if it's something that only an experienced tech will find.

Can an anyone recommend a really experienced shop or dealer to get this all looked at in Southern California LA or even OC areas?

Been at at this on and off for a few months and it's exhausting that I can't take the car above 60 because it shakes like a crazy old van

i personally suspect a bent wheel but I don't want to buy a new wheel (super super expensive) if it's not the problem and they say it's straight...

Thank you!
Old 06-30-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Check suspension components. Most of the time it's a balancing/wheel issue, but since that has basically been ruled out, you can check your struts, springs, and mounts
Old 06-30-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Coupe
So you're basically saying that it goes away as it heats up and as you drive the car?
Old 06-30-2017, 10:46 AM

2012 C63 AMG Coupe
Have you looked at the tires as the culprit?
Old 06-30-2017, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by Tlnt60
Have you looked at the tires as the culprit?
Agree, check the tires.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Loose exhaust?
Old 06-30-2017, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Originally Posted by darkus
I get a high speed vibration which my dealer simply isn't able to diagnose and fix.

Theyve balaced the wheels and say there is no bend.

Weve changed the control arm/thrust arm on the side I think it's coming from.

the vibration is always worst in the mornings when it's cooler. During mid day when he shops are actually looking at it its nearly gone.

Im at a loss since I can't tell if it's something that only an experienced tech will find.

Can an anyone recommend a really experienced shop or dealer to get this all looked at in Southern California LA or even OC areas?

Been at at this on and off for a few months and it's exhausting that I can't take the car above 60 because it shakes like a crazy old van

i personally suspect a bent wheel but I don't want to buy a new wheel (super super expensive) if it's not the problem and they say it's straight...

Thank you!

Can you swap the tires around to see if the vibration moves ?

aka swap fronts to rear and rears to front...
Old 06-30-2017, 07:40 PM

C63BS
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
Agree, check the tires.
the temperature "sensitivity" really made me think about tires a lot but the whole chassis shakes so I had a hard time believing it. Regardless it's definitly a possibility so I guess I would have to buy two new tires as the only way to find out since the entire wheel/tirr combo right now is balancing out which is why the dealer says the wheel is not bent.

Unless ss there is some way of knowing if the tite is out of round independent of the wheel ?
Old 06-30-2017, 07:44 PM

C63BS
Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
Can you swap the tires around to see if the vibration moves ?

aka swap fronts to rear and rears to front...
staggard setup so I don't think its a good idea. Besides to be honest in not even sure if it's really the front.

Many original idea was to get a wheel tire from another car on there but they have nothing that fits another reason I was hoping to find a really quality dealer or shop to help me solve it
Old 06-30-2017, 07:49 PM

C63BS
Originally Posted by PJmak
Loose exhaust?
very interesting idea. Do you mind if I ask why you say that.

I find it interesting because I have noticed recently the exhaust sound had a very pulsatile sound recently that did seem to match the vibration many times.

I chalked it up to being "in my head" since the vibration would continue after I let off the gas while at speed.

But it since you independently mention that you have my curiosity piqued.

Thank you for any ideas / details you could give about this
Old 06-30-2017, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Ok not enough info for me but I still am not convinced it is not tires or wheel related. The fact that it diminshes as things get hotter makes me wonder.
See if your dealer can get a stock set of wheels and tires off another W204 long enough to mount them on your car and take a run on them. If the vibe is still there then that rules out wheels and tires.
I forget at my peril and a beating from a service guy in Ontario if I do not do something to eliminate tires and wheels first before doing anything more.
Inspection may not see a tire defect and you mention nothing about checking for runout in the wheels so I remain skeptical until you remove all doubt and do this or put a set of winters on their own rims on and check it out.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:40 AM

2012 C63 AMG Coupe
Take the tire off the car cold, and take it in. Don't drive the car there. Might be able to replicate a "cold tire" that way. Hell maybe take all 4 and see if anything comes up?