C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

White Smoke 2010 S63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 S63 Kleeman Longtube Headers, Deleted Cats, Weistec ECU Tune
White Smoke 2010 S63

I have a 2010 S63 with 30,000 miles. It smokes once it has been driven and warmed up. It is most noticeable when stopping at a signal light and a puff of smoke blows past. It seems rediculous that it should have valve guide or valve seal problems at 30,000. I have also had cyclinder #2 foul a plug with carbon build up in the electrode. This car has had the cats deleted and Kleeman long tube headers added along with a ECU tune from Weistec. Could this be an issue with PCV valve? If it were the valve seals can they be changed with the heads on the car?
Old 07-01-2017, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Try the PCV valve first. It could be allowing oil into the intake in excess amounts. Blue and white are hard to tell apart. I have a '10 C63 and it needed valve stem seals at 87k. The amount of smoke was alarming sometimes. Wasn't consistent. It would just puff sometimes. But a BIG puff.

Or the scary part...if it is truly white and your coolant level is dropping, it could be headbolts.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Originally Posted by bobbyjames
I have a 2010 S63 with 30,000 miles. It smokes once it has been driven and warmed up. It is most noticeable when stopping at a signal light and a puff of smoke blows past. It seems rediculous that it should have valve guide or valve seal problems at 30,000. I have also had cyclinder #2 foul a plug with carbon build up in the electrode. This car has had the cats deleted and Kleeman long tube headers added along with a ECU tune from Weistec. Could this be an issue with PCV valve? If it were the valve seals can they be changed with the heads on the car?
If it is white, it is water and if it is water on an m156 engine, it usually means that it is coolant and that you have headbolt issues which your model year would fall into - have you had the headbolts done? Does it smell a bit sweet? Otherwise fuel is a grey color so could be excess fuel since you don't have cats. Oil would be dark and smell like oil.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
I have a 2010 S63............. This car has had the cats deleted and Kleeman long tube headers added along with a ECU tune from Weistec.

Very nice. Lets just take a moment to acknowledge that lol.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
If it is white, it is water and if it is water on an m156 engine, it usually means that it is coolant and that you have headbolt issues which your model year would fall into - have you had the headbolts done? Does it smell a bit sweet? Otherwise fuel is a grey color so could be excess fuel since you don't have cats. Oil would be dark and smell like oil.
My view exactly. Steam is steam.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Agree. Plus, given the 2010 model year, AND the presence of performance mods, shouldn't the OP assume the worst - headbolt failure - in order to improve the odds of not destroying the engine?

He apparently has no "low coolant" message or even worse, "oil level" message yet. So, if it IS headbolt failure, he can get it corrected BEFORE he hurts the engine bigtime by waiting until the coolant dilutes the engine oil and begins to proactively destroy the engine, right?

Jim G
Old 07-01-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Edition 507 coupe
Are you getting any misfires? If you are getting coolant into the cylinders (especially so much that you can see it burning), a lot of times you'll hear misfires. Have you noticed any change in your coolant level? As people already mentioned, what does the smoke smell like? Sweet? Unburned fuel? Oil?
Old 07-01-2017, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Bring it to a shop and get it diagnosed.
Btw, with a head gasket problem where coolant seeps in and then steam comes out, you don't see carboned plugs but plugs that look suspiciously clean, like they're new.
Also, coolant usually doesn't puff. It comes out.
Oil puffs.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 S63 Kleeman Longtube Headers, Deleted Cats, Weistec ECU Tune
The engine runs strong and is smooth at idle. I do not have coolant issues, no low coolant light and the smoke I believe is from oil, does not smell sweet. I have had 2 S63's both used what I considered excessive amounts of oil but Mercedes said that this is normal. This smoke is another thing and it is also inconsistent. Does anyone know if the valve seals can be changed with the heads on the car or do they need to be removes in order to gain access. I changed the spark plugs to Brisk racing plugs after having a problem with #2 cylinder which was due to a fouled plug. The electrode was almost completely blocked with carbon, all other plugs looked good.

Last edited by bobbyjames; 07-03-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
I do not have coolant issues, no low coolant light and the smoke I believe is from oil, does not smell sweet. I have had 2 S63's both used what I considered excessive amounts of oil but Mercedes said that this is normal. This smoke is another thing and it is also inconsistent. Does anyone know if the valve seals can be changed with the heads on the car or do they need to be removes in order to gain access. I changed the spark plugs to Brisk racing plugs after having a problem with #2 cylinder which was due to a fouled plug. The electrode was almost completely blocked with carbon, all other plugs looked good.
Well I can only suggest you find someone who has more experience with these engines to help you out because the rest of us are not apparently helping. You have perhaps a bad valve guide if you have convinced yourself it is oil and the only way to figure that out is pull the head and check #2 since you seem focused on it.
A guy in a shop here in Canada who I have seen work on Brit cars has a tool that allows him to see the quality of the fire in a cylinder when the engine is running. It is very cool actually to see how the flame colour changes when he adjusts the SUs. Maybe someone in and indy shop would have one and if you are burning oil in the cylinder it would could be seen in contrast to cylinders you think are OK.