C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Tires of different dates, ok to use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
'16 C63s
Tires of different dates, ok to use?

So I have an MPSS in brand new, great condition at home (no cracks, rubber looks "healthy") that was manufactured 43/13. Would it be unsafe to order just one new tire and run tires of different manufacture dates?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Going to piggyback off OP's question: Are rear tires of slightly different tread okay to use? Replaced one punctured tire with a new MPSS, now the rear tires have about 3mm tread difference. Is this okay long term? Should I fill up PSI slightly differently for the new tire?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:39 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
rubber has a shelf life. performance degrades with time if that answers your question. if the tire has been kept indoors and out of the sun i'd say using it would be ok with a new tire.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 08-15-2017, 12:40 PM

'16 C63s
Originally Posted by hachiroku
rubber has a shelf life. performance degrades with time if that answers your question. if the tire has been kept indoors and out of the sun i'd say using it would be ok with a new tire.
Tire always kept indoors and away from sunlight.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:43 PM

'16 C63s
Originally Posted by NotABaller
Going to piggyback off OP's question: Are rear tires of slightly different tread okay to use? Replaced one punctured tire with a new MPSS, now the rear tires have about 3mm tread difference. Is this okay long term? Should I fill up PSI slightly differently for the new tire?
Keep the tires at their suggested PSI, despite the tread difference. Overfilling can provoke accelerated and improper tire wear, along with reduced performance.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by raphman
So I have an MPSS in brand new, great condition at home (no cracks, rubber looks "healthy") that was manufactured 43/13. Would it be unsafe to order just one new tire and run tires of different manufacture dates?
No issues with that. Rubber does degrade, but I think the 5 year mark is where you'd want to think twice.
The following users liked this post:
raphman (08-15-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 01:44 AM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
Tire always kept indoors and away from sunlight.
Should be fine as long as it's the same tire. The softer you go, the more you have to worry about time. But even then, if they are kept in large glad bags and in the garage you will be ok, but they can and do get harder as time goes by, but you might not notice unless you are tracking your car.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:51 AM

'16 C63s
Originally Posted by Mazspeed
Should be fine as long as it's the same tire. The softer you go, the more you have to worry about time. But even then, if they are kept in large glad bags and in the garage you will be ok, but they can and do get harder as time goes by, but you might not notice unless you are tracking your car.
Gotcha. I should be ok then... and yeah, same tires all around. Wasn't kept in any sort of bag, but I inspected the tire thoroughly yesterday - no cracks, no oddities, rubber on the treads still firm but "rubbery", and definitely not dried out.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Gotcha. I should be ok then... and yeah, same tires all around. Wasn't kept in any sort of bag, but I inspected the tire thoroughly yesterday - no cracks, no oddities, rubber on the treads still firm but "rubbery", and definitely not dried out.
This is one of those cases where you'll get better info from a Google search - facts from Google almost always trump opinions from us!
From Michelin website:

1- Keep five years in mind
After five years or more in use, your tires should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year by a professional.

2- Ten years is a maximum
If the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.
This applies to spare tires as well.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/hel...ew-tires.html#

Your tire is almost 4 years old already. If you were putting it on a Honda, I'd worry about long-term problems. For rear tires on a C63, there is no such thing as long term. I think you're good to go!
Old 08-17-2017, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,572 Likes on 925 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by zcct04
This is one of those cases where you'll get better info from a Google search - facts from Google almost always trump opinions from us!
From Michelin website:

After five years or more in use, your tires should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year by a professional.

If the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.

Your tire is almost 4 years old already. If you were putting it on a Honda, I'd worry about long-term problems. For rear tires on a C63, there is no such thing as long term. I think you're good to go!
The key above is the "in use" part since heat cycles break tires down.

Rubber compound stored properly is not going to degrade like it would if it was installed on a vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jasonoff:
Mazspeed (08-17-2017), zcct04 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 02:56 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
well...that's why i asked if it was indoors out of the sunlight.

even a tire that is not mounted has a recommended shelf life. something to do with leaching of chemicals causing the tire to harden and degrade over time. something like that.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 08-17-2017, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,572 Likes on 925 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
6 year shelf life.

http://www.safetyresearch.net/tire-safety
The following users liked this post:
hachiroku (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
From Michelin website:

Performance tires are a shorter long term shelf life. I would not go 10 years on a performance tire ever. Harder compound tires have a longer shelf life than does a 60-280 TW tire.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
From Michelin website:

Sorry but I diagree on two points .
10 yr is rubbish. 6 on an every day tire and max 5 on a HP tire.
Second, if you mix new with old with different tread pattern you could get squrrley performance and some surprises particularly in the wet or on track. Side wall spring rates will be different as the cords in the old tire have been flexing in the rubber.
Why take the chance for $300? Buy them at least in pairs.