C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

LED DRL replacement DIY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C63 P31
LED DRL replacement DIY?

Is there a DIY for replacement of the LED DRLs?

My left DRL is inoperable. I haven't found a write up, but several mentions of removing the front bumper to access the DRL.

ive successfully removed the bezels but it didn't appear that there was access to the mounting hardware for the DRL assembly.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an existing DIY, or even just let me know if bumper removal is 100% required for DRL replacement?

Thanks,
Old 09-13-2017, 02:15 AM

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
'16 CLS63S
Originally Posted by Mezzy
Is there a DIY for replacement of the LED DRLs?

My left DRL is inoperable. I haven't found a write up, but several mentions of removing the front bumper to access the DRL.

ive successfully removed the bezels but it didn't appear that there was access to the mounting hardware for the DRL assembly.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an existing DIY, or even just let me know if bumper removal is 100% required for DRL replacement?

Thanks,
Well lucky for you its the left side DRL. The right side is much harder but the left is still a pain.

From what I remember when I replaced mine. I had to use multiple long flat head screwdrivers at the same time in order to pop off the clips that held the DRL in place. If you put a flashlight on the top and bottom of the DRL, you can see where you need to put the screwdriver. There are 2 on top and 2 on the bottom. If you try to do one at a time then after you release one clip and move to the next one, the one you just released will pop back into place. Use multiple screwdrivers to release the clip and leave the screwdriver in place holding the clip open.

The DRL comes out from inside the bumper. You cant remove it by pulling it out from the front. From underneath the car, remove splash tray, unbolt the horn and move it aside, that gives you enough room to get your hands in there and pull the DRL out.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:35 AM

2013 C63 P31
Originally Posted by bentz69
Well lucky for you its the left side DRL. The right side is much harder but the left is still a pain.

From what I remember when I replaced mine. I had to use multiple long flat head screwdrivers at the same time in order to pop off the clips that held the DRL in place. If you put a flashlight on the top and bottom of the DRL, you can see where you need to put the screwdriver. There are 2 on top and 2 on the bottom. If you try to do one at a time then after you release one clip and move to the next one, the one you just released will pop back into place. Use multiple screwdrivers to release the clip and leave the screwdriver in place holding the clip open.

The DRL comes out from inside the bumper. You cant remove it by pulling it out from the front. From underneath the car, remove splash tray, unbolt the horn and move it aside, that gives you enough room to get your hands in there and pull the DRL out.
Thanks for the heads up! Glad I didn't just go at it and start tearing the bumper off.

i thought I had read that the drivers side was more difficult, but I'm happy to hear otherwise.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:01 PM

2013 C63 AMG Coupe
I'd love some directions for pulling the bumper off (13 coupe)

My passenger side is shot and the oil cooler and such is in the way.

Anyone have directions for that side, or full bumper removal?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:29 AM

2013 C63 AMG Coupe
Weekend project bump?
Old 09-14-2017, 09:02 AM

2013 C63 P31
Originally Posted by SnotRocket
Weekend project bump?
My weekend ends today unfortunately.

Maybe next weekend.

Ill make sure to take pictures of the process as I go.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:19 AM

2013 C63 AMG Coupe
My weekend ends today unfortunately.

Maybe next weekend.

Ill make sure to take pictures of the process as I go.
Except I'm looking to do what you aren't...

Pull the bumper to do the passenger side...
Old 09-14-2017, 04:48 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
86 Targa, 91 560SEL, 06 E55 Estate, 13 C2S, 21 MACAN GTS, 05 R6 Track, 15 R3 RACE BIKE
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post6376102

Originally Posted by SnotRocket
Except I'm looking to do what you aren't...

Pull the bumper to do the passenger side...
Old 10-07-2017, 08:47 AM

2013 C63 P31
Nice DIY! Are there any additional steps to completely remove the front bumper cover that aren't mentioned in your DIY?

i just put my order in for my 44O cooling upgrade and I'm going to try to tackle it myself. The first order of business will be removing the front bumper cover without breaking anything.

Originally Posted by Silversun262
Old 10-07-2017, 08:48 AM

2013 C63 P31
DRL is ordered from Tracy at OEDiscountParts and should be here early next week. Looking forward to having all of my lights working!

Thanks for the heads up! Glad I didn't just go at it and start tearing the bumper off.

i thought I had read that the drivers side was more difficult, but I'm happy to hear otherwise.
The following users liked this post:
msgadget (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
530i, C300,
Hi Mezzy, I can help with the install instructions too!
Old 10-10-2017, 03:00 PM

2013 C63 AMG Coupe
I was able to get the passenger side light out by pulling the two bolts out from behind the fender liner, and the one bolt to the top right of the passenger headlight.

There is enough room to pull the bumper away from the body to get your hand in there and pop the clips.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:43 PM

2013 C63 P31
Originally Posted by msgadget
Hi Mezzy, I can help with the install instructions too!
Tracy, that would be awesome! If you are able, just send any installation instructions you have for the DRL to the email address you have on file for me.

Ive got install instructions for the 44O kit. They aren't perfect, but they should hopefully be enough to get the job done. we'll cross that bridge when we find out my kit is on the way. I may change my mind and have a local shop do the install.

Thanks!