High Long Term Fuel Trims with ROW Airboxes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
So, was the plastic deformed preventing the clamp on the Y pipe from creating a seal? That gap where you put the silicone is inside the Y pipe so I'm not picturing what you fixed.

EDIT: Wait... was air actually flowing between the metal and plastic on the INSIDE undetected by the sensor?
I'm not sure if the plastic deformed so much, but the fit certainly wasn't sealed/leak-free. But yeah, air was flowing undetected by the MAF.

Originally Posted by roadkillrob
Thanks, will certainly check this out ASAP!
Keep us posted

Originally Posted by skratch77
Can we just take the metal out?
Sadly not...the black plastic velocity stack would have nothing to clip onto and besides, the airflow would end up being too turbulent through the MAF (due to the super short oval pipe) and as a result, the car will not like it at all when you go anywhere at WOT. Don't ask me how I know
Old 12-14-2017, 04:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
I'm not sure if the plastic deformed so much, but the fit certainly wasn't sealed/leak-free. But yeah, air was flowing undetected by the MAF.

Keep us posted

Sadly not...the black plastic velocity stack would have nothing to clip onto and besides, the airflow would end up being too turbulent through the MAF (due to the super short oval pipe) and as a result, the car will not like it at all when you go anywhere at WOT. Don't ask me how I know
sorry i still cant picture what you are saying. Shouldnt there be two clips each on one side to secure the intake filter cover to the oval velocity tube?
Old 12-14-2017, 04:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Rudimentary 'chop to highlight the 'shiny' bits which is where the glue/epoxy was used to fill the gaps. The red lines are approximately where the shiny bits are, but i didn't want to draw over them of course.

Originally Posted by Rick X Joaquim
sorry i still cant picture what you are saying. Shouldnt there be two clips each on one side to secure the intake filter cover to the oval velocity tube?
Yes indeed. The leak is 'internal' to the engine. Although the black rubber thingy is sealing the airbox oval tube from outside air, the air in question here is seeping in-between the aluminium tube and the plastic airbox shell. It should be going past the MAF....but a small (tiny) amount of air isn't doing that. Once sealed up, all air will ingest via the MAF and the PCM will then be able to correctly make allowances in terms of fuelling.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:14 AM

C63
Rudimentary 'chop to highlight the 'shiny' bits which is where the glue/epoxy was used to fill the gaps. The red lines are approximately where the shiny bits are, but i didn't want to draw over them of course.

Yes indeed. The leak is 'internal' to the engine. Although the black rubber thingy is sealing the airbox oval tube from outside air, the air in question here is seeping in-between the aluminium tube and the plastic airbox shell. It should be going past the MAF....but a small (tiny) amount of air isn't doing that. Once sealed up, all air will ingest via the MAF and the PCM will then be able to correctly make allowances in terms of fuelling.
If the air is leaking at junction of aluminum and plastic tube, it already passed thru the maf sensors. I can only think in this case the engine is recieving less air as what the maf reads
Old 12-14-2017, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast

If the air is leaking at junction of aluminum and plastic tube, it already passed thru the maf sensors. I can only think in this case the engine is recieving less air as what the maf reads
No, the air comes from the other side dude. It’s going up above and past the MAF and into the engine where he’s showing that he filled in with silicone.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Edit: I didn't realize that ROW boxes also have the steel sleeve, and I have them. I guess let's try sealing first.

But this would be strange if it works. Because most people have new ROW boxes, to where if this an issue that comes up say at 60K miles due to expansion and contraction and then the gap widening, almost nobody here would have it.

MY ROW have 1000 Miles or so.

If the design was defective, ALL M156 would have it and Mercedes would have TSB-ed it and there would be a substituted part number. Or maybe all ROW cars run the 25% LTFT? And why are the US boxes exempt from the same sleeve issue?

Last edited by Vladds; 12-14-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,576 Likes on 929 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Both ROW and NA have the metal.

Here's a closeup from some ROW diy thread. I would think it would be better to seal it on the leading edge though rather than where Celicasaur sealed his.
The following users liked this post:
Rick X Joaquim (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 12:03 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
yeah...honestly i did notice this when i cut my US boxes, but thought it shouldn't be more than a 1-3% air leak...well, i guess its more than that.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 12-14-2017, 12:22 PM

C63
Im guessing that maybe the Y plastic connecter is different as well? From pics, the covers looks like it is different from row to non row
Old 12-14-2017, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Im guessing that maybe the Y plastic connecter is different as well? From pics, the covers looks like it is different from row to non row
No, the airbox lid outlet is the same.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:25 PM

C63
By the way, did the original poster fix the problem? Withthis?
Old 12-14-2017, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Here's a closeup from some ROW diy thread. I would think it would be better to seal it on the leading edge though rather than where Celicasaur sealed his.
I considered the inside, but getting an easy/clean job would have been tricky with accessibility via a gloopy blob of epoxy on a swap stick, so i carefully did the rear. But yes, the inside would be better in theory definitely. In practice, probably not any real-world difference. A good seal either way is the important thing.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
I considered the inside, but getting an easy/clean job would have been tricky with accessibility via a gloopy blob of epoxy on a swap stick, so i carefully did the rear. But yes, the inside would be better in theory definitely. In practice, probably not any real-world difference. A good seal either way is the important thing.
-2hp from the air turbulence...

Old 12-14-2017, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
By the way, did the original poster fix the problem? Withthis?
I have not, I am going to work on it tomorrow and check to see if there is a gap in mine - bought them new, maybe 2000 miles on them, trims are perfect with oem boxes, high 20's with rows at idle, switched them back and forth a few times and problem only exists with Rows after several changes back and forth.

Will report back tomorrow how my row boxes look.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
So I asked myself, how come Mercedes didn't think of this and BTW, what retains the steel sleeves inside the plastic housings.
I am beginning to have a theory:
Mercedes DID think of this, but they used a cheap resin. Look at the yellow residue. It dries in time and transforms into a powder and loses sealing properties. It became so brittle that I could just pull the metal sleeve out with needle nose pliers, without much effort at all.
What I don't understand is if the M156 can really collapse the MAF sections under full load. It may be possible.
The Subaru can collapse a 4 ply silicone hose, basically more than 1/4" thick.

I very much agree with sealing the leading edge, but look how irregular it is and one cut out is deeper than the MAF cutout itself. also and this is not clear in the posted pictures, the steel sleeve has an instance where it overlaps the black plastic framework. So it doesn't only go inside the silver piece but one leading edge goes over a seam between the silver and black pieces, very sketchy.

I think that a bead of high temperature silicone may take care of this, if there is anything to it.

High Long Term Fuel Trims with ROW Airboxes-photo45.jpgHigh Long Term Fuel Trims with ROW Airboxes-photo28.jpg

Last edited by Vladds; 12-14-2017 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hachiroku (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
C63 AMG PPP Saloon
Originally Posted by Vladds
So I asked myself, how come Mercedes didn't think of this and BTW, what retains the steel sleeves inside the plastic housings.
I am beginning to have a theory:
Mercedes DID think of this, but they used a cheap resin. Look at the yellow residue. It dries in time and transforms into a powder and loses sealing properties. It became so brittle that I could just pull the metal sleeve out with needle nose pliers, without much effort at all.
What I don't understand is if the M156 can really collapse the MAF sections under full load. It may be possible.
The Subaru can collapse a 4 ply silicone hose, basically more than 1/4" thick.

I very much agree with sealing the leading edge, but look how irregular it is and one cut out is deeper than the MAF cutout itself. also and this is not clear in the posted pictures, the steel sleeve has an instance where it overlaps the black plastic framework. So it doesn't only go inside the silver piece but one leading edge goes over a seam between the silver and black pieces, very sketchy.

I think that a bead of high temperature silicone may take care of this, if there is anything to it.

Attachment 415081Attachment 415082

interesting theory
they don't collapse at wot through 2nd,3rd and 4th or they didn't on the multi runs I made
also my car felt slightly better with the tube removed
​​​​​​​in fact I can't remember if mine are still out or not
Old 12-14-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
C63 AMG PPP Saloon
But when I used HPtuners to do some logging my LTFT was high so hmmmm
Old 12-14-2017, 07:19 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
can i port and polish it? then add some swirl?

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 12-14-2017, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Vladds

JB Weld epoxy putty. Then you can sand it down smooth once it has cured.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Ok, I removed the row airboxes again and went back to stock. I can see a little light past the metal sleeves, but it is not much, doesn't seem enough to make a difference like I am seeing, but I can't find any other explanation, so going to warm them up, seal them up and try them again.

Understanding a closed loop system, the O2's see things too lean, so request more fuel, so only explanation is that the MAF's are not seeing the air and not requesting enough fuel and if that is the case and the only change is the airbox lid, it has to be something with the lid not measuring the airflow properly.

Will report back in a few days.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
JB Weld epoxy putty. Then you can sand it down smooth once it has cured.
Nah, just use silicone. It’s safer and will accomplish exactly the same thing. I also thought about using JBWeld on my TBs, but I’d rather not put something inside my intake that might damage the engine if a piece breaks loose somehow and gets sucked in (however unlikely that may be).
Old 12-15-2017, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I think silicone is safer too.
I don't think it's possible to remove the steel sleeve without recalibration/scaling of the maf table.
The tube in which the maf sits should be considered of a calculated cross section and in order to change this section by removing the steel sleeve, you need to have access to the table to adjust/scale it.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:36 PM

C63
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
Ok, I removed the row airboxes again and went back to stock. I can see a little light past the metal sleeves, but it is not much, doesn't seem enough to make a difference like I am seeing, but I can't find any other explanation, so going to warm them up, seal them up and try them again.

Understanding a closed loop system, the O2's see things too lean, so request more fuel, so only explanation is that the MAF's are not seeing the air and not requesting enough fuel and if that is the case and the only change is the airbox lid, it has to be something with the lid not measuring the airflow properly.

Will report back in a few days.
did u see any gap with the stock cover?
Old 12-16-2017, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I'll try to take a log today then do the work, then log again.

Last edited by Vladds; 12-16-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

did u see any gap with the stock cover?
I can see just the slightest bit of light through one of them and the other one just a tiny bit where the steel tube is crimped - doesn't seem like enough but I can't see any light through my stock ones at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High Long Term Fuel Trims with ROW Airboxes