Car Shipping Suggestion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 P31
Car Shipping Suggestion

Hey guys,

Who do you suggest for car shipping these days? I'm looking to get a car shipped from Connecticut to Indiana. TIA

Ben
Old 09-30-2018, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 268 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I had mine done on a enclosed train but that can be tricky if you aren’t near a location... otherwise there are tons of enclosed car haulers out there most will drop off at your door for a decent price
Old 10-02-2018, 06:27 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2010 GLK350
Had a couple of cars shipped via trailer, one open and the other enclosed. Having done both, I recommend spending the extra and getting enclosed transport. The car I shipped on an open trailer was absolutely filthy when it got to me even though it was only in transit for 3 or 4 days.

Unfortunately, most of the 'shippers' you'll find online are just brokerages. You'll just have to contact a bunch of them until you get a quote that you liked. If you're close to a popular route, it won't be a problem finding someone.

Don't ever give the broker a deposit before they actually have a driver, otherwise you'll never get it back if you get a driver through another brokerage. Also, make sure you get very clear and documented instructions for final payment. The last thing you want is a driver who won't unload the car due to bad communication between the brokerage and that driver.
The following users liked this post:
allmack (02-24-2024)
Old 10-02-2018, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 693 Likes on 472 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Like TPete19 said, don't go cheap, get a company that ships cars for a living professionally and enclosed.

Reliable carriers is one of the very reputable carriers, https://reliable-carriers.com/about-...uto-transport/

These guys also are supposed to be good - they break things down well on their website also - they say enclosed will be 35% more than open transport https://www.montway.com/how-much-does-it-cost-ship-car

After watching shipping wars on TV - I would avoid things like uship.com at all cost.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:27 PM

C63 P31
Originally Posted by TPete19
Had a couple of cars shipped via trailer, one open and the other enclosed. Having done both, I recommend spending the extra and getting enclosed transport. The car I shipped on an open trailer was absolutely filthy when it got to me even though it was only in transit for 3 or 4 days.

Unfortunately, most of the 'shippers' you'll find online are just brokerages. You'll just have to contact a bunch of them until you get a quote that you liked. If you're close to a popular route, it won't be a problem finding someone.

Don't ever give the broker a deposit before they actually have a driver, otherwise you'll never get it back if you get a driver through another brokerage. Also, make sure you get very clear and documented instructions for final payment. The last thing you want is a driver who won't unload the car due to bad communication between the brokerage and that driver.
Good info, I didn't think of that one!! Thank you!
Old 10-02-2018, 08:46 PM

C63 P31
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
Like TPete19 said, don't go cheap, get a company that ships cars for a living professionally and enclosed.

Reliable carriers is one of the very reputable carriers, https://reliable-carriers.com/about-...uto-transport/

These guys also are supposed to be good - they break things down well on their website also - they say enclosed will be 35% more than open transport https://www.montway.com/how-much-does-it-cost-ship-car

After watching shipping wars on TV - I would avoid things like uship.com at all cost.
OK good deal. Gonna give one of these guys a shot! Thanks for the info!

Old 10-02-2018, 10:45 PM

2018 GLC 63 AMG Coupe
+1 for Reliable Transporters...worth the extra $ for enclosed trailer with lift gate instaed of ramps!
Old 10-03-2018, 07:29 AM

C63 P31
Originally Posted by K507
+1 for Reliable Transporters...worth the extra $ for enclosed trailer with lift gate instaed of ramps!
Yea those guys are legit! They quoted me $1500 for enclosed, while Montway quoted me $950 with some COD option both enclosed.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,678 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Just to add another data point here, I’m going through the same thing shipping my car from NYC to LA next month.

Montway - $1500 enclosed, offered me the same 10% off deal paying half in cash, pay upfront, don’t own their trucks so it sounds like they’re more of a broker, insured to $150k, ramps not liftgate

Passport Transport (thanks for the rec MBNRG)- $2500 enclosed, pay when the car gets there, own their trucks which are super high quality with GPS tracking etc, liftgate, insured to $500k, can’t commit to a specific pickup date could be 2wks before or after move date. Great customer service, the guy spent 30min on the phone answering all my stupid questions and was super knowledgeable.

I know which one I’m choosing. My car doesn’t do ramps.
The following users liked this post:
Bonesxxx (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW Z4
I personally like A1 Auto transport. I've used them a few times in the past and they were very good. I recently had to ship my car across state line (I bought a new one but it was across the country) and I've been looking at different car shipping options. I checked Uship and some other companies but they seemed too expensive for my taste. I went contacted A1A and their car shipping prices were not super high and since I used them before I was certain that they will not damage my car while transporting it. So if you need a good company I suggest them

Last edited by Sebastian Grey; 02-11-2020 at 02:51 AM.
Old 08-03-2023, 08:14 AM

BMW
I'm also moving to Indiana from Florida, and I'm thinking about whether I should request a car shipping service or drive it myself and have a little adventure?
Old 08-03-2023, 08:19 AM

BMW
Not too long ago, I had to transport my beloved classic from Connecticut to Indiana. It was nerve-wracking, but I stumbled upon A1 Auto Transport Inc, and let me tell you, they saved the day!
They handled my baby with the utmost care, and it felt like I was dealing with friends rather than a shipping company. The communication was top-notch, and they kept me in the loop throughout the journey.
Honestly, I was a bit worried about the whole thing, but their expertise put my mind at ease. It was a smooth ride (pun intended), and my car arrived in Indiana safe and sound.

Last edited by JohnToulupe; 08-04-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:43 PM
D.K

2009 C63
I had my car shipped from TX to MD through Safemile a few months back. It was a decent experience, but beware, while a brokerage company may give you a price up front, it usually doesn't end up being the price that the trucking company has in mind. My initial quote ended up increasing from $650 to $750 once the shipping company started locating available drivers. Now, in Safemile's defense, the shipping company did say that they could check with other drivers to see if they could/would deliver for the initial $650, but they couldn't guarantee a pick-up or delivery date. I was in a time crunch, so I opted to pay the extra money. Aside from that, my car was picked up and delivered on time, in good condition, and within brief walking distance from my house.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:35 PM

M2
I might be sliding into this convo a bit late, but I've been in your shoes before! I remember the excitement of getting a new car and the dilemma of how to get it safely without driving it in winter.Considering your S2000, have you thought about car towing services? They're not just for those emergency situations – they're like your car's comfy chariot, especially for longer distances.I stumbled upon this guide at https://comparethecarrier.com/blog/state-to-state-car-tоwing/. That's like a treasure trove of info on state-to-state towing. It's like getting insider tips from a fellow car enthusiast who's been down the road.

Last edited by Kennethberrys; 08-28-2023 at 09:30 AM.