Feed in or flatten gas peddle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
45k miles 2010 C63 AMG w204 / VW MK5 Gti
Feed in or flatten gas peddle?

Hey,

potentially stupid question, but I won’t let that stop me - I bought a C63 about a week ago now, so I’m still learning how to get the most out of it. Assuming for now we ignore the M mode, if I’m in S and want to accelerate as fast as the car will allow, is it a case of plant the pedal and the car takes care of the rest? I only ask as I’ve had cars before which went faster feeding the pedal in. But they were neither autos or high capacity.

cheers in advance!
james
Old 10-13-2018, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Full throttle is always going to be maximum torque request, so the powertrain will give max accel possible. You may see traction issues at low speeds as the cars are quite powerful, but there's not really any situation where you rolling into the throttle gradually will be faster than stepping down to full kickdown position unless you are at such a low speed the tires start spinning. The traction control is pretty good but quite invasive, and if you can drive on the cusp of wheelspin you will be faster than letting the ESP manage it for you.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:26 PM

Thanks for such a detailed reply, it’s always good to know what the cars thinking so I can work with it. The esp seems to be great for tighter back roads where you really don’t want to be kicking out even a foot or two, but on wider roads coming away from roundabouts it did seem to kick in a little too often for my liking. Early days though! Generally I’m really impressed
Old 10-18-2018, 06:08 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by James_
Hey,

potentially stupid question, but I won’t let that stop me - I bought a C63 about a week ago now, so I’m still learning how to get the most out of it. Assuming for now we ignore the M mode, if I’m in S and want to accelerate as fast as the car will allow, is it a case of plant the pedal and the car takes care of the rest? I only ask as I’ve had cars before which went faster feeding the pedal in. But they were neither autos or high capacity.

cheers in advance!
james
I have noticed with this car especially from a roll or at highway speed it is better to roll into the throttle than just mashing it. When mashing it I get a slight delay with throttle then it will drop two gears and go assuming I am not in manual mode. I have a 2010 car. My car is tuned as well.

From a dig you can pretty mash it assuming you are in Sport mode (with track control off then more of a roll)

Is this your experience as well?

Last edited by AMG6.3; 10-18-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
I haven't done it in a long time but I found that if you "flick" your foot it loses all lag.

So you could push down super quick to about 30% and release (not enough to downshift) and quickly put your foot all the way back down and it picks up pretty quick.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ idk
Old 10-19-2018, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
I haven't done it in a long time but I found that if you "flick" your foot it loses all lag.

So you could push down super quick to about 30% and release (not enough to downshift) and quickly put your foot all the way back down and it picks up pretty quick.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ idk
The M/E watches the speed of change of pedal position, a quicker change will be met with more aggressive response. This works both ways, if you quickly release the gas and jump on the brake, you will get stronger brake functions via Brake Assist Plus than you normally would for that pedal travel, because it assumes you are panic reacting.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 C63
One of the top guys at AMR told me that on my tune, the TB goes to 100% when the foot is to the floor. Ill assume that would be the same for everyone who has their tune...so for me, As soon as oil temp is white (176*) I roll S+ with Sport traction, and by Thors hammer I floor that *****. Its kinda odd though, once you get used to the brutal acceleration, its like even though ive got the hammer down, the computer is rolling in for you so you dont induce wheel slip in a 500hp car without a differential and then die. Its not a criticism, my Self Preservation Module (SPM) data logs show the computer is doing an adequate job. The LSD mod did wonders for the cars launch and hard cornering. Its got to be helping WOT performance.Be careful finding the cars limits if it is not LSD equipped. Every time i think about the damn LSD i get infuriated that beancounters decided it was not a neccesary component. If your buying this kind of car it shouldnt even be a question IMO....and in my case, it was a question answered wrong by my salesman. I coulve done KWs or have a healthy chunk for those HREs that are going to miracle themselves onto my car sooner than later...if every c63 had an LSD i bet that feeling would not have to be as intense which would definitely result in a performance increase. Maybe in a BS its mitigated due to the widebody tires, but im at least about $60K or so short on picking up a surely haggered BS to find that out for myself....
Old 10-25-2018, 05:25 AM

Some really interesting stuff popped up in this thread, i've had plenty of time to absorb it as I got a puncture without realising and when the wheel was removed it had ripped nearly the entire sidewall free of the tread, and there was me hoping it was repairable

So new tyre went on and i've had a chance to finally go out in the dry for a proper drive on a variety of roads, and it was very enjoyable. I wasn't really getting on with the full ESP so I spent most of the time in Sport handling which was much better for not having progress killed off and roundabouts etc.. Only annoying thing is it wouldn't seem to allow me to see other functions like the trip etc.. it constantly had sport handling displayed.

New to the W204 C63 my only other slight gripe was the steering is really light, it's fine below 80/90mph but 100 and above it at first gave the impression the car just wasn't well planted so on curved stretches it was a little disconcerting. I found I got more used to it, but it's still quite different compared to previous cars.