Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 noise on acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2019 | 05:32 PM

2011 C63 AMG
C63 noise on acceleration

My car was at the dealership getting some gaskets done and oil change and when i picked up the car I noticed on halfway home that my car was making this flapping/clicking noise whenever the acceleration is on.

I've attached a video it's a bit hard to hear but try to listen when I'm pressing on the gas. The sound is constant then when I got home I had a "check oil level at next refuel"

Weird cause I just got the oil change last night.. Anyways I'm not sure if the noise and oil light are correlated but I am more concerned about the noise.
​​​

Can someone chime in?

https://youtu.be/uWYKvemCdYM
The following users liked this post:
wheelspk2131 (05-29-2024)
Old 01-13-2019 | 05:56 PM

2016 GTs, 2014 C63 AMG and 2014 C350 Sport (wife's car, she thinks it's an AMG - shhhhhh)
I couldn't hear the noise in your recording at all.

Could be anything... but I'd check the obvious things first. A loose exhaust clamp was the culprit last time I had a mystery noise.

But, since it was just serviced for oil and gaskets and you are getting a low oil level alert the first obvious thing is to take it right back to the service shop for a top-off and look-see.
Old 01-13-2019 | 07:02 PM

2009 C63 AMG, 2010 C250 4Matic Sport
How much oil went into the engine? Sounds like it wasn't enough, and that sounds like if could be your top end but I can't tell based on your video.
Old 01-14-2019 | 01:18 PM

2011 C63 AMG
ugh, sorry guys. It's extremely difficult to capture this sound on my phone. I realized how crappy of a video I provided and apologize.

I want to thank you all for your assistance in chiming in. I am going to top up the oil. I can't see it missing more than a quart. If I am able to get a better video I will upload,

I have a Huawei p20 pro and when I listen to it on my phone I am able to hear it, but thats probably because I know what to listen to
Old 01-14-2019 | 10:54 PM

2014 C63
If you're getting that notification on the dash, check the oil and top off. I bought mine as a CPO from the dealer and a week after I bought it I had that notification as well. They didn't put enough oil in... It took about 1L
Old 01-15-2019 | 12:31 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Pulled the dipstick out and checked the oil a few times after the car cooled down for a few hours. The oil read right at the minimum marker. I took out a funnel and added 1 quart of MB 0w40.

The check engine oil at next refueling has not resurfaced! so that fixed one thing.

Now the noise is still present. It's more noticeable when you're on the highway because the exhaust noise doesn't drone it out and you're in a higher gear so the car is a quieter making it easier to hear. It definitely correlates with the acceleration pedal.

I've just ordered UPD Pulley and a serpentine belt..maybe that will be it?
Old 01-15-2019 | 12:35 PM

2016 GTs, 2014 C63 AMG and 2014 C350 Sport (wife's car, she thinks it's an AMG - shhhhhh)
This may be a stupid question but does it only happen under power? Or can you get a lady friend to stand on the pedal while you open the hood and give a good listen?

Sounds like top end to me but that's what I thought the time it turned out to be a loose exhaust clamp... until I got out of the car and listened with the hood open I had no idea.
Old 01-15-2019 | 12:39 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Bonesxxx
This may be a stupid question but does it only happen under power? Or can you get a lady friend to stand on the pedal while you open the hood and give a good listen?

Sounds like top end to me but that's what I thought the time it turned out to be a loose exhaust clamp... until I got out of the car and listened with the hood open I had no idea.
Yep it only happens under power. I think i'll try asking my lady friend to press the pedal.

can a loose exhaust clamp make that noise under power?
Old 01-15-2019 | 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by zonnie
Yep it only happens under power. I think i'll try asking my lady friend to press the pedal.

can a loose exhaust clamp make that noise under power?
You never know... I mean it could and would and I could hear mine on the road. So sure.

I think you'll feel better (or worse) just knowing where the sound is coming from. Did it get any better when to topped off the oil? Seems to me it is likely related to your recent service visit.
Old 01-15-2019 | 12:45 PM

2011 C63 AMG
The car was in for lower and upper oil pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets left and right, and another gasket beneath the spark plug? They had to drop the sub frame a tiny bit according to the dealer to do the repairs and they did an oil change right before the gasket job. So they just poured back what oil was loss during this job. I'm guessing they just didn't top it off and the car lost a bit of oil during this repair.

It was a contingency before I bought the vehicle I wanted to make sure there were no leaks. I topped off the oil (1 quart) now and it's fine no more 'check oil at next refueling' alert.

I still have a faint acceleration noise, it's very faint even in person so I doubt a camera would be able to capture it.

But -- yes the noise was ONLY present after the repair. No CEL or anything. Car pulls strong.

Curious to know this is my first time owning a V8 AMG. At idle the car grumbles quite a bit eh? you can feel the vibrations from the grumble thats normal ya?

I also have a resonator delete which may be adding to that vibration a bit.

Last edited by zonnie; 01-15-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2019 | 12:47 PM

Sorry by "under power" I meant under a load (i.e. when power is going to the rear wheels). If you can replicate the noise revving in neutral while parked, then go the 'lady friend' route and tell us where you think it's coming from.
Old 01-15-2019 | 12:49 PM

Another stupid question but if you took it to the dealer and the noise started when you got it back (from the sound of things, you had a good sized repair bill), why not take it back and make it their problem?
Old 01-15-2019 | 12:50 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Sorry by "under power" I meant under a load (i.e. when power is going to the rear wheels). If you can replicate the noise revving in neutral while parked, then go the 'lady friend' route and tell us where you think it's coming from.
Oh yes, I can replicate the noise in NEUTRAL as well.

the only problem is the AMG exhaust is so damn loud lol! It eats up most of that noise and makes it hard to hear!
Old 01-15-2019 | 12:51 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Another stupid question but if you took it to the dealer and the noise started when you got it back (from the sound of things, you had a good sized repair bill), why not take it back and make it their problem?
The service manager who was overseeing this job is on holidays till Wednesday. I've sent him and the salesman an email. They've been made aware!
Old 01-15-2019 | 12:52 PM

K keep us posted. Could be as simple as the tech left one of the old parts or a tool under the engine cover -- I've seen stranger things.
Old 01-21-2019 | 04:53 PM

C63 AMG
I have a similar issue except my just made the noise without anyone doing anything to it. It's back at the dealer getting looked at so will update when i hear from them.

I noticed a noise from one of the heads so tracked the sound down to front of the head where the cam adjusters are.

Try this:
Run your ear down each side of the motor while its running and at running temp (90c water 100c oil) and listen for any sounds that aren't the clicking of the injectors.
Put a large screw driver to your ear and then touch it to parts of the motor to try narrow down any noises. Only had the noise on one side of the motor.

Might not be the same issue as me but sounds very similar. Is it like a clattering sound? Similar to what a Diesel engine would make? Its really faint in the cab but you can hear it at low rpm (1500-2000rpm) mainly while taking off from an intersection.
Old 01-21-2019 | 05:00 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Anthraxnz
I have a similar issue except my just made the noise without anyone doing anything to it. It's back at the dealer getting looked at so will update when i hear from them.

I noticed a noise from one of the heads so tracked the sound down to front of the head where the cam adjusters are.

Try this:
Run your ear down each side of the motor while its running and at running temp (90c water 100c oil) and listen for any sounds that aren't the clicking of the injectors.
Put a large screw driver to your ear and then touch it to parts of the motor to try narrow down any noises. Only had the noise on one side of the motor.

Might not be the same issue as me but sounds very similar. Is it like a clattering sound? Similar to what a Diesel engine would make? Its really faint in the cab but you can hear it at low rpm (1500-2000rpm) mainly while taking off from an intersection.
Yes!! You described it perfectly. Can you please update here with the diagnostics when you find out. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2019 | 05:50 PM

C63 AMG
Will do, hopefully hear back today about it.

My thoughts are CAM adjusters or solenoid since thats about all that's in that area.

For the time being here's my write up for the mechanic.

Vehicle: 2012 C63 AMG
Problem:
1. Rattling sound under acceleration
2. Tapping \ knocking sound from driver side cylinder bank

Details:When the engine is at operating temperature there is a clattering sound coming from the engine bay under slow acceleration from 0 to about 40km\h (2nd and 3rd gear). This is normally evident when taking off from an intersection but is also present on the motorway about 100km\h while accelerating gently. Usually occurs between 1500rpm and 2000 rpm.Once you open the bonnet the sound is obvious and is coming from the driver’s side at the front of the motor. Using a screw driver to my ear I was able to pinpoint the noise to the lower front side of the motor.The tab that holds a bunch of cables seems to have the cleanest sound (circled in red).When you repeat these steps on the other side of the engine there is no noise present.

The following users liked this post:
Nate GZ (11-16-2021)
Old 01-21-2019 | 05:52 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Will do, hopefully hear back today about it.

My thoughts are CAM adjusters or solenoid since thats about all that's in that area.

For the time being here's my write up for the mechanic.

Vehicle: 2012 C63 AMG
Problem:
1. Rattling sound under acceleration
2. Tapping \ knocking sound from driver side cylinder bank

Details:When the engine is at operating temperature there is a clattering sound coming from the engine bay under slow acceleration from 0 to about 40km\h (2nd and 3rd gear). This is normally evident when taking off from an intersection but is also present on the motorway about 100km\h while accelerating gently. Usually occurs between 1500rpm and 2000 rpm.Once you open the bonnet the sound is obvious and is coming from the driver’s side at the front of the motor. Using a screw driver to my ear I was able to pinpoint the noise to the lower front side of the motor.The tab that holds a bunch of cables seems to have the cleanest sound (circled in red).When you repeat these steps on the other side of the engine there is no noise present.

Solid post brotha I hope all goes well and it's a minimalistic repair. I'll be watching this thread for your update.

By the way is the noise present in neutral when revving for you? Thanks for the detailed post again.

Last edited by zonnie; 01-21-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2019 | 06:30 PM

C63 AMG
yeah it kind of is but you need the engine under load to really hear to. I noticed that when cold things seemed normal or less obvious while idiling but driving you'll hear it whether it's hot or cold, seems worse when hot.
Old 01-22-2019 | 04:50 PM

C63 AMG
Just heard back from the dealer and they think there is some air trapped in the hydralic lifter(s) somewhere.

Little bit of info about bleeding lifters
https://itstillruns.com/bleed-hydrau...s-7693426.html

If you had your oil drained and air got in somehow this would explain the noise i guess.

Will update with a complete sitrep once i get the car back.
Old 01-22-2019 | 04:55 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Just heard back from the dealer and they think there is some air trapped in the hydralic lifter(s) somewhere.

Little bit of info about bleeding lifters
https://itstillruns.com/bleed-hydrau...s-7693426.html

If you had your oil drained and air got in somehow this would explain the noise i guess.

Will update with a complete sitrep once i get the car back.
My car recently had upper and lower oil pan gaskets replaced, valve cover gaskets, left and right, and another gasket near the spark plugs.. so oil was definitely lost and they had to drop the subframe a tiny bit as they needed to replace a bunch of bolts with brand new ones as the ones that went out were not reusable.

Anyways, perhaps somehow during this repair air got in? I'm not too mechanically inclined but the entirety of my repairs were a condition before I purchased the vehicle.

After the repairs were all done I then heard the noise. Everything else about the car is fine and doesn't appear to have any leaks. Keep us posted.
Old 01-28-2019 | 03:19 PM

2011 C63 AMG
yeah it kind of is but you need the engine under load to really hear to. I noticed that when cold things seemed normal or less obvious while idiling but driving you'll hear it whether it's hot or cold, seems worse when hot.
any updates?
Old 01-30-2019 | 04:16 PM

C63 AMG
We never really got to the bottom of it. Whatever it is isn't detrimental to the motor so we just left it at that.

I know that it is something but they couldn't figure out what it was. I doubt the ticking noise i can hear with the screw driver is the same noise i hear in the car (since i can barely hear it witht he bonnet up). Might be something lose underneath like an exhaust shield or something in the CATs rattling around.
Old 03-18-2021 | 05:03 PM

C 63 AMG Performance 2009
Hi, I just noticed after engine oil change the same/similar noise from my car. Did you make any progress with this issue?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 noise on acceleration