C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 2012 Head Gasket/Head Bolt failure?

Old 03-13-2019, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 Coupe
C63 2012 Head Gasket/Head Bolt failure?

Hi Everyone,

So this morning I went to start my C63 Coupe which is a 2012 - The car was struggling to start and nothing would happen when I tried to crack it. I did heard a bit of a bang but I assumed this was the fuel pump trying to push the fuel through.

The car did turn on after a few attempts but it was misfiring pretty badly with a big cloud of Blue smoke. I turned the car off as I could smell lots of fuel. I out of curiosity checking the oil cap and I could see this creamy mixture on the cap. Not only was it there but it was also coming out of the exhaust tips!!!

I have a fault scanner and it showed that I had a Misfire on Cylinders 3,7 and 8 - assuming this could be injectors?

Worried now that it could turn out to be a head gasket/head bolt failure? Even on the 2012 facelift?

Would a bad oil cooler cause this?

Any advise would be appreciated.....In terms of background, I have only recently purchased the car privately and it has 47K Miles Reply
Old 03-13-2019, 06:55 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
14 polar white E550
Definitely check those injectors its leaking as the car is sitting and is pooling up in the cylinder hence why you get that smoke and smell of fuel + the misfire codes. This is not a case of head bolt failure as 12' models have the revised bolt/stud .
Old 03-13-2019, 07:08 AM

C63 Coupe
Hey

i will defo get the injectors looked at as they are a big concern.

I can’t attach the picture of the oil cap but it is defo coolant mixing with the oil with that brown colour.

What could be causing the mixing if it’s not the head bolt or gasket?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2019, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,572 Likes on 925 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MSK-Merc
I out of curiosity checking the oil cap and I could see this creamy mixture on the cap.
I can’t attach the picture of the oil cap but it is defo coolant mixing with the oil with that brown colour.
Likely just condensation which is normal. Do you take a lot of short trips?
Old 03-13-2019, 05:35 PM

C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Likely just condensation which is normal. Do you take a lot of short trips?
Ive just bought the car privately from a bloke so I’ve literally just driven it home and this happened a few days later. The worrying thing is that the coolant/oil mixture is coming out of the exhaust
Old 03-13-2019, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
There’s always the slight possibility that the previous owner blew the original engine and replaced with one from a headbolt-affected junkyard car. Look up the VIN stamped on the engine block to be sure.

But it sounds like condensation.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:53 PM

C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
There’s always the slight possibility that the previous owner blew the original engine and replaced with one from a headbolt-affected junkyard car. Look up the VIN stamped on the engine block to be sure.

But it sounds like condensation.
I will check this out tomorrow - as the car is smoking badly with Blue smoke and smells really badly of fuel - could this be related to the injectors?

Usually Blue smoke means oil is leaking somewhere from what I know......My first Mercedes too, not the best of starts lol
Old 03-13-2019, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Injectors. Don’t start it anymore.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:07 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
14 polar white E550
if under your oil cap is a whitish color that’s fine as stated that’s condensation from short trips , blue smoke is fuel so it’s running rich or having bad injectors . Don’t start or drive that car . Also if the engine was switched to an older motor check your valve covers if they are silver it’s the old motor , the new motor has plastic black covers just a heads up . Good luck

Hey

i will defo get the injectors looked at as they are a big concern.

What could be causing the mixing if it’s not the head bolt or gasket?

Thanks