W204 Harmon Kardon Audio Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 05:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG W204 PPP / A35 AMG V177
W204 Harmon Kardon Audio Help

Hi All,

I have had my sound system installed for a while i used a LC2i with an aftermarket JL audio amp and sub but im not 100% confident on whether the install was hooked up correctly. i have recently removed the factory subwoofer and realised my aftermarket one was not pushing bass hard enough as it should have been (Factory subwoofer was doing most of the work)

My LC2i signal was taken from the rear subwoofer, The actual 4 wires going to the subwoofer (Yellow, Grey, Black & Red). I fear this was not the correct place to take a signal from as it is heavily EQd. I have also noticed that bass is simply not travelling into the car and at higher volumes it phases off.

What im looking to ask is where is the best place to take the signal from going into the LC2I, Could someone share the location and wire colours if possible? I will then be looking to focus on tuning once i know the correct location has been ascertained.

If anyone has any base settings they used with the HK set up using an LC2I that would be great, To note my car is a 2013 C63 so im not sure across the years whether the wiring colours/schemas changed.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:19 AM

Hi Admin, Just noticed there is a dedicated audio section if possible please could this be removed/merged. I have now opened another thread in the audio section
Old 08-28-2019, 12:17 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
'12 P31 C63 coupe
Hey,
I just wired up my C63 with HK system into a LC7i and followed this wiring diagram. For my subwoofer input into my LC7i, I used the top left "bass speaker (C-class)" from the diagram. The Brn/grn, grn, brn/vio, vio. There are 2 voice coils so I used all 4 wires. Note: there are 2 violet and violet/browns so make sure you get the right one. The one you want is on pin 3 and 15.

PM me if you have any more questions and I'm going to do a detailed writeup of my setup once I finish the trims and clean everything up.

-magictoilet
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
c63 amp wiring diagram.pdf (49.6 KB, 399 views)
Old 08-28-2019, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by magictoilet
Hey,
I just wired up my C63 with HK system into a LC7i and followed this wiring diagram. For my subwoofer input into my LC7i, I used the top left "bass speaker (C-class)" from the diagram. The Brn/grn, grn, brn/vio, vio. There are 2 voice coils so I used all 4 wires. Note: there are 2 violet and violet/browns so make sure you get the right one. The one you want is on pin 3 and 15.

PM me if you have any more questions and I'm going to do a detailed writeup of my setup once I finish the trims and clean everything up.

-magictoilet
Thanks for sharing, I have looked at that wiring diagram and i cannot match up any colours to the plug going to my factory subwoofer which is odd. I have wired direct to the subwoofer already as you have described but i am not sure that this is the correct place to get a full signal. From advice the best place to get the signal is the rear door speakers as these are full range.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:24 PM

'12 P31 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by farhanali89
Thanks for sharing, I have looked at that wiring diagram and i cannot match up any colours to the plug going to my factory subwoofer which is odd. I have wired direct to the subwoofer already as you have described but i am not sure that this is the correct place to get a full signal. From advice the best place to get the signal is the rear door speakers as these are full range.
A few things to note:
I saw in one of the other DIY tutorials that the wire color changes from amp to our actual subwoofer. I tapped into my wires straight after the amp so it is exactly like the schematics. I did it because my lc7i is mounted above the spare tire. As for the bass dropoff, a lot of stock amps make the bass drop off after a certain threshold as to prevent the 'premium' speakers from damaging itself. The LC2i and LC7i have a feature called Accubass that restores the bass after the dropoff. You might have to turn up your accubass threshold knob and play around with it. I went with the LC7i so I'm summing up the fronts, rears, and sub to get a full range. I'm not 100% sure where the best place for you to get the signal from since you only have 2 channels to get the signal from. Perhaps the rear speakers and not the rear sub since they'll be full range.

Here's what my wiring looks like, I bought 2 sets of male/female 12 pin harnesses so that I can easily swap back to stock anytime I want.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:24 AM

A few things to note:
I saw in one of the other DIY tutorials that the wire color changes from amp to our actual subwoofer. I tapped into my wires straight after the amp so it is exactly like the schematics. I did it because my lc7i is mounted above the spare tire. As for the bass dropoff, a lot of stock amps make the bass drop off after a certain threshold as to prevent the 'premium' speakers from damaging itself. The LC2i and LC7i have a feature called Accubass that restores the bass after the dropoff. You might have to turn up your accubass threshold knob and play around with it. I went with the LC7i so I'm summing up the fronts, rears, and sub to get a full range. I'm not 100% sure where the best place for you to get the signal from since you only have 2 channels to get the signal from. Perhaps the rear speakers and not the rear sub since they'll be full range.

Here's what my wiring looks like, I bought 2 sets of male/female 12 pin harnesses so that I can easily swap back to stock anytime I want.
Thank you so much, the images have been helpful. As i am only going to be tapping 4 connections i wont be using the harness but i will tap the connections instead. Im going to go to the amplifier wiring and follow that guide. I think its best i go to the rear speakers aswell i will then for sure know i have a full range signal. Im also going to place the speakers back in but whilst i have the factory subwoofer out and rear deck speakers it will help me tune where i want to get the subwoofer too. If you dont mind for ease could you confirm from the diagram what the rear speaker wire colours should be labeled postive/negative. I want o confirm when i open the car up that mine are the same so i can carry on using that guide.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:34 PM

'12 P31 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by farhanali89
Thank you so much, the images have been helpful. As i am only going to be tapping 4 connections i wont be using the harness but i will tap the connections instead. Im going to go to the amplifier wiring and follow that guide. I think its best i go to the rear speakers aswell i will then for sure know i have a full range signal. Im also going to place the speakers back in but whilst i have the factory subwoofer out and rear deck speakers it will help me tune where i want to get the subwoofer too. If you dont mind for ease could you confirm from the diagram what the rear speaker wire colours should be labeled postive/negative. I want o confirm when i open the car up that mine are the same so i can carry on using that guide.
All the negatives have a brown stripe while the positives have a solid color. For example violet would be + and violet and brown striped is negative. I followed the exact same wiring diagram but let me take a pic later and show you. Feel free to pm me your number so I can get the pics to you faster.
The following 2 users liked this post by magictoilet:
BLKROKT (08-30-2019), farhanali89 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,677 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
All the negatives have a brown stripe while the positives have a solid color. For example violet would be + and violet and brown striped is negative. I followed the exact same wiring diagram but let me take a pic later and show you. Feel free to pm me your number so I can get the pics to you faster.
This is exactly what I found when replacing all the speakers in our X204 GLK last month. The actual colors seem to change based on year and geography, but it’s always true that positive are solid colors and negatives have the stripe.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:43 PM

Thank you guys @magictoilet you have been so helpful man. I can confirm cross checking my factory subwoofer wires matches up the the attached wiring diagram. For ease i have noted below how the wiring plug from the factory rear subwoofer translates to the official MB diagram.
Note: The wire colours on the subwoofer/mini surround speaker (Which is all one unit) use a different wire colours near the shelf, They switch over. The other single speaker on its own however the wire colour remains consistent to the diagram.

I have noted the colours below for anyone tapping in to the subwoofer from the rear shelf direct at the subwoofer wire colours will go as follows:

Subwoofer & Surround speaker (Combined Unit)
Subwoofer
Red to Violet
Black to Violet/Brown
Yellow to Green/Brown
Grey to Green
Surround Speaker
Green to Yellow
Green/Black to Yellow Brown

Individual rear surround speaker
Blue
Blue/Brown
These remain consistent all the way to the amplifier